Author Topic: RPM and MP  (Read 984 times)

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
RPM and MP
« on: June 01, 2014, 01:59:36 PM »
Until recent I never knew about being able to adjust both. Is there any link to proper use of the two in correlation with one another? Do you set one and leave it during fights? I know how to properly use a constant speed prop in real life of course ive never been in any air combat to know how to utilize both for max performance. Thanks for the help.
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: RPM and MP
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 02:12:41 PM »
Until recent I never knew about being able to adjust both. Is there any link to proper use of the two in correlation with one another? Do you set one and leave it during fights? I know how to properly use a constant speed prop in real life of course ive never been in any air combat to know how to utilize both for max performance. Thanks for the help.
For best power leave RPM as high as it will go.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 02:14:27 PM »
From a purely practical point of view, you only adjust RPM in AH for increased fuel efficiency during cruise or while loitering (see also e6b on clipboard), or when gliding home to reduce drag.
While maneuvering in combat, you simply put it at max and manage the throttle only.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 02:15:29 PM »
As Imadot mentioned in your cruise rpm thread, the E6b on your clipboard will tell you the recommended settings for your aircraft.

These settings match the pilot operating handbooks and you can see the effect they have on your speed and range.

In real aircraft you would increase RPM first then throttle and you would decrease throttle first then decrease RPM.
In Aces High there's no penalty for mixing up the order.

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 02:28:42 PM »
OK so if I'm in a Hellcat at 18k there are no changes to which I can make for better performance than being at 5k. Thats simply just an example.
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 02:31:02 PM »
OK so if I'm in a Hellcat at 18k there are no changes to which I can make for better performance than being at 5k. Thats simply just an example.

No.

Full throttle and full RPm gives you max (military) power available at any given altitude.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 04:04:44 PM »
Ok. Thanks y'all.  Your appreciated patience with my questions is very much appreciated...

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 06:12:23 PM »
Ok. Thanks y'all.  Your appreciated patience with my questions is very much appreciated...

We were all there once, the fact your asking these questions means ur interested in staying, and lastly there is always someone who wants to ask a question and doesn't, there is a possibility this helped more then you will
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »
Ive said it before and ill say it again, I absolutely love this game. There are so many different aspects of this game and almost every time I play I learn something new. I never played video games as a youth and this is really the only game ive ever played. The dynamics in itself are impressive.  I hope to someday help folks and give insight like yall do. My schedule is fairly open but subject to change with a phone call. I'd like to schedule time with a trainer but I would hate to have to quit during it or be a no show.

I spent some time with Iwlf in the ww 1 arena when I first started and it helped me tremendously..

Thanks again yall.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 03:26:52 AM »
Thanks for asking, Cremator. Although I've been around for over a decade I didn't know all of the answers this thread gave.  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 07:14:09 AM »
You would never be able to run aircraft engines in real life as you do in AH.  The AH aircraft simulation falls apart on that aspect of the aircraft model.  If you ran a real life aircraft engine flat out 100% of the time , it would overheat.  It would also become subject to detonation and that would  lead to a loss of horsepower and failure.  Unsure exactly why AH even bothered to model it in, other then to say, all the competing WWII aircraft combat simulators of the time had controllable RPM and MP . 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »
Cremator,
Do not under estimate the usefulness of controlling RPM. It is not meant for fighting - it is meant for cruising. The E6B recommended settings are according to the pilot notes. In the game there is no problem running full throttle and reduced RPM.

Reducing RPM (while throttle at max) lowers you fuel consumption. It also reduces your speed, but not proportionally. The result is a significant increase in range if you are willing to travel at less than max power. In the big american radials this is a very significant boost in range. The La7 and Yaks have a decent range if you are willing to travel at less than their max speed (they are very fast, so you will only cruise like a normal plane...). So, you can use reduced RPM for cruising on the way to the destination, while loitering and when you RTB on fumes.

The other use for minimal RPM is gliding. Planes glide MUCH better when the prop is windmilling less. I have glided planes a full sector to a safe landing several times - either following damage or loss of fuel.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2014, 04:22:01 PM »
You would never be able to run aircraft engines in real life as you do in AH.  The AH aircraft simulation falls apart on that aspect of the aircraft model.  If you ran a real life aircraft engine flat out 100% of the time , it would overheat. 
What the devil is "100% power"?
There are too many cases of planes being left at War Emergency Power for periods as long as the average MA sortie without failure to take this idea seriously. The limitations on WEP time were more about engine life and maintenance schedules than some possibility that one's engine would go to pieces if you accidentally left it in WEP for 7 minutes instead of 5. Hitech's solution of limiting WEP to the book times with auto shutoff is the best possible compromise for realism, better than the unlikely engine failures you see in other sims. And if you believe that *military power* sshould fail the engine in a length of time equivalent to the typical 30 minute MA sortie, I should like to see some of evidence of that.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2014, 07:48:17 PM »
You would never be able to run aircraft engines in real life as you do in AH.  The AH aircraft simulation falls apart on that aspect of the aircraft model.  If you ran a real life aircraft engine flat out 100% of the time , it would overheat.  It would also become subject to detonation and that would  lead to a loss of horsepower and failure.  Unsure exactly why AH even bothered to model it in, other then to say, all the competing WWII aircraft combat simulators of the time had controllable RPM and MP .  
This is incorrect, this is the whole reason you use aircraft engines instead of small block v8s or any automotive engine. A aircraft engine is rated to run at wide open throttle for a sustained amount of time (especially military engines) while automotive engines would self destruct under such circumstances.

Reducing RPM (while throttle at max) lowers you fuel consumption.

The reason aircraft engines reduce RPM and MP is due to fuel and giving the engine a little more life for when you need it (say in combat where people are shooting at you, can't afford a blown head gasket then), its important however this be done in recommended settings. In fact reducing RPM too far while leaving the MP at full would cause detonation and possible engine failure.

You should adjust MP and RPM at the same time instead of just doing one or the other.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 07:53:23 PM by olds442 »
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Online The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2014, 09:15:15 PM »
This is incorrect, this is the whole reason you use aircraft engines instead of small block v8s or any automotive engine. A aircraft engine is rated to run at wide open throttle for a sustained amount of time (especially military engines) while automotive engines would self destruct under such circumstances.

here you say they are designed to run flat out......

The reason aircraft engines reduce RPM and MP is due to fuel and giving the engine a little more life for when you need it (say in combat where people are shooting at you, can't afford a blown head gasket then), its important however this be done in recommended settings. In fact reducing RPM too far while leaving the MP at full would cause detonation and possible engine failure.

You should adjust MP and RPM at the same time instead of just doing one or the other.

....and here you say you should turn it down so it doesn't blow up when you need it.

Do you really know WHAT your saying, or are you just making things up as you go along?