Author Topic: Pickup Mission Visability  (Read 753 times)

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
Pickup Mission Visability
« on: June 03, 2014, 05:18:59 PM »
I would like to see the Pickup Missions emphasized a bit more. We all enjoy flying beside human pilots with a common goal, it's IMO the best part of the game.  It is unfortunate that unless you're spamming the text buffer or watching the map for friendlies to join up with, that it is difficult to get that lifting off as a group feeling.

I would like to see some additional coding put in place to help highlight and/or promote Pickup Missions.

1. Place an icon over top of the airfield which flashes/indicates a Pickup Mission is departing from said base.
1a. Perhaps flashing speed could increase to indicate the mission is within 1-2 min of departing?
2. A revision of waypoint creation
3.Allow Mission creator to dictate targeting Priorities (a flight has a designated target; ie, A45 General Attack,  V20 Field Ack,  A21 Town Ack, Strat Ammo, Strat City...)
This may not impact scoring, or it may. A simple reminder of primary target on the clipboard would be nice to the mission leader, if the leader could simply check a box off for a flight's target, before or after the pickup mission has departed would be a nice touch.
3. Allow mission creator to dictate attack/fighter for a given flight.

Just a thought as I enjoy flying with a common goal, and flying together instead of the lone wolf/Pearl necklace standard. ... :cheers: .. Pick'er apart gents!

-KB
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Pickup Mission Visability
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2014, 05:34:34 PM »
There is a large group of players playing that really couldn't care less about missions and "flying together".

On the other hand, that old game a bunch of us us to play had a ready room that only the leader of the mission could let people in. The maps on the "wall" in the ready room could have all the way points for the mission and the mission planner could set it so players could only see the missions wing they were assigned to. Couple that with HTC version where you control all the parameters of the mission.... load out, launch time location, direction and so on would make a great, robust mission planner.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 06:02:44 PM »
Fugitive,

I agree that most folks (speaking from Knight's perspective) don't generally get much use out of the mission planner as it is.  I think that it is worthwhile to invest in working this out in order to promote more meaningful connection with country members.  Both ideas presented by you and KB are things that I would enjoy.

In another thread I had toyed with the idea that upon landing successful missions, another system text message would appear.  We have something like this for bombers now, announcing the amount of damage done.  We can even call it an after action report {SYSTEM:  ChiLLi has destroyed 2 critical structures A277} for example.

A perk multiplier, would also be an added incentive, but only if there were specific goals to be met, such as destroying a ship, downing a hangar, or the ultimate = capture an enemy field {mission planner goal set, destroy hangars and capture maproom A277} for example.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 07:02:38 PM »
flying in a group is all well and good until you have no people to shoot at.

or even worse, no scenery objects left to destroy.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Chugamug

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 08:19:17 PM »
Put an extra line on the chalkboard in the tower Indicating a mission is forming. It could show start time, or minutes to start time.

Chugamug

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2014, 08:36:45 PM »
There is a large group of players playing that really couldn't care less about missions and "flying together".

That is so, and you and I are among them.  But a large portion of AH's subscribers feels the same way the OP does, and they pay their dues just like we do.

I have no idea how missions even work, but any of the OP's suggestions might make it easier, and possibly wouldn't be too difficult to program.

- oldman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »

That is so, and you and I are among them.  But a large portion of AH's subscribers feels the same way the OP does, and they pay their dues just like we do.

I have no idea how missions even work, but any of the OP's suggestions might make it easier, and possibly wouldn't be too difficult to program.

- oldman

Had you read the rest of my post you would have seen that I added a few more things I'd like to see added to add a lot more depth to the mission planer. I only started my post that way to point out that people may not be joining the missions because they prefer NOT to run in a group/mission.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 10:34:03 AM »

On the other hand, that old game a bunch of us us to play had a ready room that only the leader of the mission could let people in. The maps on the "wall" in the ready room could have all the way points for the mission and the mission planner could set it so players could only see the missions wing they were assigned to. Couple that with HTC version where you control all the parameters of the mission.... load out, launch time location, direction and so on would make a great, robust mission planner.

I like the idea of a more robust mission planner. The gathering area seems more authentic; where a person could look at the "mission maps" and understand their targets. I don't think much "coding time" would need to be invested in order to tweek the mission planner to be more "visable" internal to each country. And I think that's really all I'd like to see. It's still up to the leader to create a mission, but at least it won't go unnoticed because he/she's been squelched from country channel and very few players actually take the time to go in and check if a PickupMission is available. 

Don't get me wrong, there are groups which achieve this all on their own through sheer determination, patience, and organization; what I'd like to see is newer players easily understanding "where do i go to start kil'n bad guys, without being all alone..."

I hate to say it, but folks my age and younger (30) were brought up in an era of gaming which promotes the "queue" or "matchmaking" approach. Wait a few minutes, then start the action with a minimum number of friendly players for a semi-common goal.  You try to make that aspect of the game more ubiquitous with game play and I believe we will retain many more new players which are drown out by the downtime and steep learning curves (outside of an aircraft).

-KB

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 10:37:46 AM »
I like this idea a lot+1  :aok
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 10:42:27 AM »
+1
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline TWC_Angel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 11:43:17 AM »
Most Definite +1 to OP and further elaborations.   :aok
IGN: Angel
DGSII: I./JG1
-=Top*Gun=-
"Guaranteed, knock-down-dragged-out dogfight.       
       Every time."    ((♥ That 190))

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2014, 12:54:31 PM »
+1   :aok

I would like to know inflight if a mission is posted.  I hate when I miss a good mission because I found out too late. 

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2014, 01:05:01 PM »
+1   :aok

I would like to know inflight if a mission is posted.  I hate when I miss a good mission because I found out too late. 

This was my reason for posting the wish. I don't know how many times I've upped a sortie and I am climbing out (by myself) only to hear on country channel that a group is about to take off somewhere to cause trouble!
( Pickup Mission or simply a callout for meeting at a specific field & runway...)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 09:03:32 PM »
I hate to say it, but folks my age and younger (30) were brought up in an era of gaming which promotes the "queue" or "matchmaking" approach. Wait a few minutes, then start the action with a minimum number of friendly players for a semi-common goal. 

It took me years to grasp this, but I believe it to be true, and it explains much.

Have pity on the old folk who simply cannot understand it.

- oldman

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 10:30:00 AM »
what country do you guys fly for?  i need to join up with you guys.  we could roll on the knights because they are anti-mission dweebs and deserve to be punished for their selfish play.

+ 1 to promoting missions.