Author Topic: my first stick  (Read 1246 times)

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
my first stick
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:53 PM »
 i am still new to this game and have finally got a stick . i didnt go out and buy the top of the line stick yet but want to work with the cheaper first to see what difference it will make. i got the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick on amazon for $20 new and need help in configuring and any tips that would be helpful during setup. i am sure there are a few critics on my choice but lets not beat me on the head yet ( you will get plenty of chances to do that in the game) haha . there are lots of buttons to configure and besides the x and y and shoot buttons  the twist rudder etc. this is all new to me and i have no idea which  is which ,any help would be greatly appreciated .
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: my first stick
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:14:47 PM »

http://www.hitechcreations.com/getting-started/how-to-configure-your-joystick-or-mouse

You want flaps, wep, radio, secondary weapon release, select secondary weapon within easy reach.
You don't need to program all the buttons to start. Wait until you see what you need beyond the basics.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »
 It's pretty simple,just plug the stick in and open the game. Then use the map controls interface to program the buttons. All you need do is click the button and it will be highlighted,then select the function from the drop down.

How you setup the stick is really a personal thing and depends on what you fly!  If you tend to use bombers some things may be more important to map than say if you fly fighters all the time.  You can use the different modes to map 2 functions to a single button,but you need to map a button or key to switch modes.

I would start out slowly and map what is most important to me in a single mode,then once comfortable with it,like in remembering what you mapped.... :devil then you can try using the different modes if you like.

Oh and mode 2 is used for GV's and boats so you can setup a completely different mapping just for that.

Good luck and if you have any questions please feel free to ask!

:salute

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 02:36:03 PM »
i really appreciate the early replies ,my next question is when mapping how will i know which button is which besides the x and y and shoot. the stick im sure the buttons do not  have numbers that correspond to the mapping page which button  is #2 #3 #4 etc. will this be a trial and error thing i have to go through ? 

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 02:38:00 PM »
i really appreciate the early replies ,my next question is when mapping how will i know which button is which besides the x and y and shoot. the stick im sure the buttons do not  have numbers that correspond to the mapping page which button  is #2 #3 #4 etc. will this be a trial and error thing i have to go through ? 

Like what was said, the system works by double-clicking the button on the stick, you want to map.  The game will then display the button you pressed and open a dialog showing all the possible commands you can select to map to it.

You do not need to worry about what the buttons say on the stick, versus what the game sees.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 03:49:21 PM »
i am still new to this game and have finally got a stick . i didnt go out and buy the top of the line stick yet but want to work with the cheaper first to see what difference it will make. i got the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro Joystick on amazon for $20 new and need help in configuring and any tips that would be helpful during setup. i am sure there are a few critics on my choice but lets not beat me on the head yet ( you will get plenty of chances to do that in the game) haha . there are lots of buttons to configure and besides the x and y and shoot buttons  the twist rudder etc. this is all new to me and i have no idea which  is which ,any help would be greatly appreciated .

I go through a 3D pro every couple of years, I like them enough.

Little side button left of the trigger (set to fire all guns) are primary guns.  The hat ontop is views, two of the four buttons is flaps up/down, the other two are zoom in toggle and fire secondary weapon.  Twist is rudder, throttle is throttle.  Of the six buttons on the left side of the base, the two I use the most and don't ever change is view up and view down (essential to use in combination with the hat switch for good viewing.  The other four I change regularly, but I think two of them atm are gear and WEP.

A lot of people look down on the 3D pro, I think for the price and a little time properly setting them up, they're a good deal.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 04:08:15 PM »

I go through a 3D pro every couple of years, I like them enough.

Little side button left of the trigger (set to fire all guns) are primary guns.  The hat ontop is views, two of the four buttons is flaps up/down, the other two are zoom in toggle and fire secondary weapon.  Twist is rudder, throttle is throttle.  Of the six buttons on the left side of the base, the two I use the most and don't ever change is view up and view down (essential to use in combination with the hat switch for good viewing.  The other four I change regularly, but I think two of them atm are gear and WEP.

A lot of people look down on the 3D pro, I think for the price and a little time properly setting them up, they're a good deal.

Agreed.  It's what I use.
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 04:13:14 PM »
mikev:

Welcome! I use the same joystick with Aces High, and I've had reasonable success with it. I've given a LOT of thought to optimized mapping of the Logitech's buttons with Aces High commands, and I've come up with an arrangement that I really like. It's quite different from the way others use that joystick, so I hope you'll keep an open mind.

Here's a still-shot showing how I like to arrange controls:

(My use of the "hat switch" is controversial. But I bet you will like it if you try it. One way to make this a little less controversial would be to change my "hat back" position for transmitting on your tuned radio channel. I don't do it that way because I use an external, voice-activated radio system that needs no buttons.)

Here is a detailed review that I recently published on the subject, with an associated YouTube video clip:

http://askmisterwizard.com/FlightSimMovies/General/ControlsAndCockpits/Joysticks/Logitech3dProReview/Logitech3dProReviewFullPage.htm

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 04:18:05 PM by bbosen »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
Just as important get a microphone and preferably a head set with it. While any of us will help you with the game by typing its so much easier being able to talk on a mic. Just ask for help on the help channel. Enjoy the stick and welcome to an actual flight game and not one of those "fly by mouse wannabe's". :salute
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2014, 05:14:08 PM »
Welcome to the game Mikey.  :salute

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2014, 09:33:21 PM »
WOW!!! extremely impressed with the responses. this is exactly what i was looking for and including pictures makes it that much easier. the videos by bbosen  fantastic!! this is more then i expected thats for sure. i do have a mic so i will ask for help  when i run into a problem. so a big thank you to all of you! 

ps i just hope i dont end up shooting any of you down. so if i do ....salute!!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2014, 12:16:42 AM »
WOW!!! extremely impressed with the responses. this is exactly what i was looking for and including pictures makes it that much easier. the videos by bbosen  fantastic!! this is more then i expected thats for sure. i do have a mic so i will ask for help  when i run into a problem. so a big thank you to all of you! 

ps i just hope i dont end up shooting any of you down. so if i do ....salute!!

Mikey likes it!!!!

Sorry couldnt resist! :devil

If you drop by the training arena in the evenings during the week you can usually find me there,I'd be glad to help you get started,maybe even help you shoot one of "US" down.   Caution though be prepared to die alot at first,everyone does,it take some time and lots of practice to become proficient in AH.

Offline bortas1

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
 :salute welcome if you shot down anyone make sure it morfiend!  :cheers: :devil

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 09:42:26 PM »
I ran one as well up until a year ago when I started I was on a laptop and so I need everything I could get on my stick so I didnt nee to reach for the computer and this is what I use Ill list buttons as they are listed on the stick as the game is off in its number vs the actual stick numbers by one or two If I recall. This set up will have you only go for your keyboard if you need to do anything outside of most combat situations. You can fire all your guns talk to anyone and control your plane in said fights and once you learn it it will be great.

Button 1: Fire all
Button 2: fire secondary
Button 3: secondary select
Button 4: zoom toggle
button 5: has switched a few times but has been tail hook toggle and combat trim toggle
button 6: WEP
button 7: flaps up
button 8: flaps down
button 9: gear toggle
button 10:clipboard minimize/maximize
button 11: radio vox local (F12)
button 12: radion vox channel (T)
Hat switch is used for all views
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 01:49:10 AM »
wow needless to say i am going to have to get use to this thing. took my first flight and oops crashed lol. did manage a split s at 3000 and made a few good turns with rudder control but in general  i was all over the sky struggling to maintain any sense of a normal practice flight totally unable to line up the runway and land which i was getting really good at with the mouse.  :o my next question is what is the use of combat trim and how it effects dogfighting and general flight.