Author Topic: Replacement for the Brew  (Read 9129 times)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
Re: Replacement for the Brew
« Reply #90 on: June 14, 2014, 11:00:36 AM »
Like I said, I am working on the film right now, just asked a squadie for the film to be posted

Great!

Not turning blue here though....
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #91 on: June 14, 2014, 01:13:18 PM »
Why not go off line and run some flight tests then film and post them or send them to AH. I did try the full fuel thing at 20k and did get the brew up to 592mph but could not recover from the dive and the Brewster came apart. I don't even fly these things but this posting about it got me to wondering.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #92 on: June 14, 2014, 01:22:06 PM »
The Brewster loses parts at 595 and is compressing and only responsive to trim.

Anyone have documents showing this is incorrect?

Coalcat's assertions are not supported by testing.

Offline NOT

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: June 14, 2014, 01:25:46 PM »
http://www.mediafire.com/download/wf39b283eg19tjx/brewtest.zip
here is a film to back that up.
never got above 3k climb rate, so dont know where that 4k rate coalcat claimed came from.......

The Brewster loses parts at 595 and is compressing and only responsive to trim.

Anyone have documents showing this is incorrect?

Coalcat's assertions are not supported by testing.

AKNOT

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: June 14, 2014, 01:39:13 PM »
I might add that Bozon has done extensive testing of the said discrepancy and he's filmed it all. Please do correct me if I'm wrong, Bozon.
Not in the case of the Brew. It is not extreme enough and the brew is not common enough to make lazy me do it. In the case of the Yak3 I saved a few films and one that I even sent to HTC. It is probably true that the AH damage model gives some advantage to small planes that make the effectively tougher than the pure dry numbers.

A new damage modeling is the correct remedy, but that is a major work that will not yield a large influx of players, so I perfectly understand HTC putting it low on their todo list. A more practical approach is probably some modification to the hit-points of a section according to some function of its area. The amount of damage a section can take is anyway a very rough modeling decision that is not based on exact documentation, unlike top speed, climb rate, roll rate etc.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: June 14, 2014, 05:54:22 PM »
*Indiana, Let go....

*coalcat

« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 05:57:33 PM by glzsqd »
See Rule #4

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: June 14, 2014, 06:18:02 PM »
thus, if I added more fuel, I would have gotten it up to 600+
No.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: June 14, 2014, 06:58:03 PM »
I would have gotten it up to 600+

I can get them up to 690.  :aok
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2014, 07:01:34 PM »
Going back to the original post, maybe 600 mph could be a rough estimate, as I tested the Brewster offline in a dive at 564 mph and besides the stress sound indicators it flew flawlessly.

I viewed the trail it left as I pulled out of the dive and zoomed skyward and started to roll over, and I could see how these flight characteristics seem to be excessive.  The keyword for me is seem.  Being in a fight against one or two of them and the "seem" becomes larger.  But there are a number of things that I can not comprehend in game.  The number one being the seeming ability of a co alt spitfire to 180 flat turn and remain on the 6 o'clock of a plane flying faster than a spitfire's level flight speed. 

I do however know about E state.  It just "seems" that some planes excessively maintain their E state through multiple maneuvers.

Overstating the actual properties and sighting that flight characteristics are inaccurate does muddy the water.  Therefore, if there is anything for HTC to test in the case of the Brewster, I would not focus on the dive speed, but possibly look at other effects such as blackout Gs, compression/ aileron response, etc.

Coalcat, I am sorry you went out on that limb, but there are many of us who are sitting on that same limb waiting to see if it can bare the weight.  Unfortunately, there are those that are rooting for you to go farther out ......   

Post what future films that you can, and let go of speed aspect of your observation..... I would also, pay attention to trails from planes in film that might explain a great deal.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #99 on: June 14, 2014, 07:50:28 PM »
For what it is worth, I am suspicious of its high speed handling as well.  I just have nothing to gainsay it as being inaccurate.  Without supporting evidence that it is wrong I really can't justifiably object to it.

What I have yet to see any evidence of is things like coalcat's claim of holding 587mph for a full minute or other's claims of it doing 400mph, pulling a hard 180 degree turn and, still at 400mph, running their <insert fast, late war fighter> down.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: June 15, 2014, 02:59:00 AM »
yall dont fly it enough thats all there is to it.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #101 on: June 15, 2014, 05:33:54 AM »
For what it is worth, I am suspicious of its high speed handling as well.  I just have nothing to gainsay it as being inaccurate.  Without supporting evidence that it is wrong I really can't justifiably object to it.

What I have yet to see any evidence of is things like coalcat's claim of holding 587mph for a full minute or other's claims of it doing 400mph, pulling a hard 180 degree turn and, still at 400mph, running their <insert fast, late war fighter> down.
I never said it will hold 597 for a minuet in level flight, I said it was in a dive, now quit putting words in my mouth

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #102 on: June 15, 2014, 06:53:40 AM »
I never said it will hold 597 for a minuet in level flight, I said it was in a dive, now quit putting words in my mouth
Ok.  597 for a minute in a dive is hard to believe as well due to how shallow the dive would need to be.  If the dive were steep it would hit the ground before the minute was done.

It is possible that there are bugs with the aircraft.  We have seen certain examples in the past (C-47s and A6M3s flying much faster than they ought to at very high altitudes, fixed by HTC when shown), but we need evidence to support that.  I know that at speeds below 500mph that the Brewster decelerates much faster than the Fw190D-9, indicating that it has significantly higher drag.  There may be a bug at higher speeds.  Film is really needed.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Coalcat1

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #103 on: June 15, 2014, 07:28:21 AM »
First of all, like I said, I climbed to over 20k and timed it to be around 50 secs or so. My E6B said I reached a top speed of 597 and held that for a minuet and only ripped apart due to my error of pulling out of the dive to hard at 2k

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: June 15, 2014, 08:01:05 AM »
At 600mph you travel ten miles in one minute.  That is 52,800ft.  To manage 50 seconds of 597 speed from between 20,000 and 30,000 you'd need a pretty shallow dive to accelerate to that speed and hold it for 50 seconds.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-