Author Topic: Gunnery Course 1: 6/25 or 6/26 -- Interested?  (Read 1622 times)

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Gunnery Course 1: 6/25 or 6/26 -- Interested?
« on: June 13, 2014, 01:12:25 PM »
Since the last week of each month is "FSO off week", my plan was to to try to run some gunnery stuff then, when I can.  I'm not quite ready to run Part 2 yet as I need to test a couple more things, formalize one of the exercises, and then type up notes.  However, I was thinking I could run Part 1 again at the end of this month, since there were some that couldn't make it in May and if anyone else is interested.

I could do Gunnery Part 1 on either the 25th or 26th in the TA from 7:45 pm to 9:45 Central time.  Even though Part 1 is on video, I think pulling the trigger, seeing things yourself and getting questions answered is still helpful.  

Please reply here or PM me if interested, stating which night you could attend (or if either night works for you).

Once I establish a few people are interested, I'll go ahead and make the date(s) official, so that the training staff can inform players in the TA and people can just "drop in" as desired.  I'm not as concerned about limiting numbers this time by requiring a reservation, but an RSVP here or by PM is appreciated.

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:18:48 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline WW1965

• Zinc Member
Re: Gunnery Course 1: 6/25 or 6/26 -- Interested?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:53:18 AM »
Since the last week of each month is "FSO off week", my plan was to to try to run some gunnery stuff then, when I can.  I'm not quite ready to run Part 2 yet as I need to test a couple more things, formalize one of the exercises, and then type up notes.  However, I was thinking I could run Part 1 again at the end of this month, since there were some that couldn't make it in May and if anyone else is interested.

I could do Gunnery Part 1 on either the 25th or 26th in the TA from 7:45 pm to 9:45 Central time.  Even though Part 1 is on video, I think pulling the trigger, seeing things yourself and getting questions answered is still helpful.  

Please reply here or PM me if interested, stating which night you could attend (or if either night works for you).

Once I establish a few people are interested, I'll go ahead and make the date(s) official, so that the training staff can inform players in the TA and people can just "drop in" as desired.  I'm not as concerned about limiting numbers this time by requiring a reservation, but an RSVP here or by PM is appreciated.

<S>
Ryno

Hell, I'll do it again just to reinforce everything.. I'll be there.. unless someone else needs the lesson.. then I'll bow out..

Wrngway

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 02:02:10 PM »

Hell, I'll do it again just to reinforce everything.. I'll be there.. unless someone else needs the lesson.. then I'll bow out..

Wrngway

You're welcome to run through it again, WW.  The idea was to open it up to as many as would like to attend.  I'm waiting to hear from a few other folks yet, so haven't made it "official" yet.

Likely I'll be doing something in the TA the evening of Wednesday the 25th, though.

<S>
Ryno
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 03:44:02 PM »
I'm up for some gunnery practice.

ID is CrzyOrng

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 08:45:58 PM »
I'm up for some gunnery practice.

ID is CrzyOrng

I will be running the course again this coming Wednesday, June 25th from 7:45 to 9:45 CENTRAL time in the TA.

All are welcome.

<S>
Ryno

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: Gunnery Course 6/25
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2014, 09:45:59 PM »

I will be running the course again this coming Wednesday, June 25th from 7:45 to 9:45 CENTRAL time in the TA.

All are welcome.

<S>
Ryno

Just a reminder for anyone interested in attending.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 02:56:06 PM »
was there ryno but got there after 930 so didnt hit you up cause it was so late. still learning how to fly without stalling and working on A.C.M.s . ha you know me better as MAGIC58 the 1 you see who you still see self spinning to his death hehe. im having pretty good luck so far in the spit 8 so im going to stay in that for a bit. i switch to either a brew, ki ,niki , zero , or a 51. i also tried to fly a 190 8 and found myself into a self death roll on 9 straight flights so im sticking that 1 into the closet till it gets 10 layers of dust. i regularly hit up my killers in private chat to get opinions or just a good chat . some are helpful some dont reply but to me its all info. (food for thought) to me as i progress .
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 04:56:18 PM »
was there ryno but got there after 930 so didnt hit you up cause it was so late. still learning how to fly without stalling and working on A.C.M.s . ha you know me better as MAGIC58 the 1 you see who you still see self spinning to his death hehe. im having pretty good luck so far in the spit 8 so im going to stay in that for a bit. i switch to either a brew, ki ,niki , zero , or a 51. i also tried to fly a 190 8 and found myself into a self death roll on 9 straight flights so im sticking that 1 into the closet till it gets 10 layers of dust. i regularly hit up my killers in private chat to get opinions or just a good chat . some are helpful some dont reply but to me its all info. (food for thought) to me as i progress .

Hiya Magic/Mikev,

Sorry you couldn't make it in to the class.  We had a very good group last night and I think it helped some folks.

If you see me on, hit me up to do a ride-along with you and I'll try to give you some pointers.  Sounds like too much control input is causing you to stall a lot.  That could be a result of not having your controllers scaled as well.  That's something I can help you with and walk you through also.

Last night during the gunnery course we discovered a couple guys who were having trouble shooting because of a lack of scaling on their setups.  (That is one of the purposes of the first course.)

There are lots of folks who are willing to help if you ask.  But if you get a chance to work with a trainer in the TA, I suggest you do that.  Mention the stalling (and possible scaling) issues, and any of them will be able to get you sorted out as well.

Hope you're having fun despite the steep learning curve!  Sounds like you have the right attitude though.  Welcome and keep at it!

<S>
Ryno

« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 04:58:16 PM by Kingpin »

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
Bummer......  I thought you was having this Deflection shooting course both nights this week Ryno, Sir!

I just now checking the boards again after logging in and no one was there for 6-26-2014 7:45 CST to 9:45 CST

Damn sorry I missed out on this, morfiend just told me in the TA that you had a light medium turnout last night, and some issues with players controllers improperly or not correctly setup

I hope I can catch you on the next one if you run these again...... perhaps maybe do the first night and 2nd night like this

1st Night: Introductory Course: Gunnery 101
2nd Night: IntermediateCourse: Gunnery - Deflection Shooting 102 .... or something of the like......

I apologize for not being able to sit in on your lecture/lessons class last night!  You have been doing a fine job and thank you for volunteering your time to help out the Training Staff  as well as people looking for help in the game and in the TA!

<S>  :salute   &  :cheers:

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 11:05:24 PM »

I fully intended to be there, but got sent out on a job and didn't get back in til early this morning.  I look forward to being able to attend one of your sessions.

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 11:40:31 PM »
This was a great class, Ryno :aok

I hadn't even considered scaling since I first started playing the game.  Actually forgot about it entirely, and my scaling sucked.  On top of the gunnery theory and practical shooting this class got me thinking about some general stuff and was very helpful.

Thanks!

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 12:46:41 PM »
This was a great class, Ryno :aok

I hadn't even considered scaling since I first started playing the game.  Actually forgot about it entirely, and my scaling sucked.  On top of the gunnery theory and practical shooting this class got me thinking about some general stuff and was very helpful.

Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback, Kodiak.  It was great to have you in the course and you did a very good job with your shooting, despite some scaling issues (mainly in your rudders).  You came very close to becoming only the second player ever to take the gear of the Mossie in their first attempt!  Good stuff.

Both the "Shoot Around the Clock" exercise and the "Aim Small Miss Small (Shoot the Gear Off the Mossie)" exercises serve multiple purposes, one of which is to reveal any issues with precise aiming which may have to do with stick scaling, because if you can't fly straight or smoothly, you can't shoot straight or smoothly.  So, I'm glad we got a couple wrinkles ironed out.

I've been debating the format of the class and whether we should be addressing stick scaling at the BEGINNING rather than at the end.  But the problem with that, in my view, is that scaling issues don't reveal themselves until AFTER people attempt the shooting exercises.  I have to remind myself that the purpose of the course is not to get people shooting perfectly in 2 hours, but to show them how to practice and test their shooting ability, so they can hone their skills (and their setups) on their own.

Remember, PERFECT PRACTICE makes perfect.  Keep at it remembering the fundamentals we discussed: range effects, sight-picture, unloaded shooting and aim-small miss-small.   What you put into it AFTER the course determines what you'll get out if.

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 12:50:18 PM by Kingpin »

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2014, 03:00:50 PM »
did you ever think to post pics of your settings for scaling? would be easier then a email. i also somehow had to reconfigure my scaling and all my buttons changed ,(think i unplugged the usb somehow). i did manage to escape 3 planes all in at me thanks to the maneuver you showed me but still managed to crash afterwards ahhhh 1 of these days .
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
did you ever think to post pics of your settings for scaling? would be easier then a email. i also somehow had to reconfigure my scaling and all my buttons changed ,(think i unplugged the usb somehow). i did manage to escape 3 planes all in at me thanks to the maneuver you showed me but still managed to crash afterwards ahhhh 1 of these days .

Hi Mike/Magic,

There are several threads on the forum about stick-scaling, so I haven't posted mine.  As I mentioned in our walk-through, scaling is about personal preference/habits/equipment etc., so what one person uses may not be the best for you.  That's why I prefer to show you not only how to modify your scaling, but more importantly, explain the thinking behind the setup, so you know when and why to make changes later as your flying improves.

Glad to hear that one session helped a little.  There's a steep learning curve so keep at it, try not to get frustrated (this game can be humbling, even to veterans), film your sorties and try to learn from every lost airframe.  Also, continue working with trainers, especially if you have specific issues to address like your stalling problem.  It is my understanding trainers like when you come to them with a specific problem/issue.

Oh, and another tip: I noticed you had issues with transitioning your views, as you lost sight of me several times.  This is totally normal for new players.   Getting good views and keeping sight of your enemy is probably the #1 priority.  So a good way to practice that is to do that Cuban-8 maneuver I showed you, staying in line with the airfield runway, while keeping an object (like the radar tower) in view the entire time.  This will train your brain to fly a maneuver by feel while looking in a different direction and transitioning the views as you maneuver.  It will take some practice, but is a great way to develop that skill.

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:32:03 PM by Kingpin »

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 03:46:35 PM »
Ryno, After watching your filmed training course I realized that a large part of the time I just thought I was aiming.  When I try aim small miss small it is like a few moments of intense concentration.  Tough to do consistently, and so easy to backslide to aim big. 
I need to practice more than I do.

Thanks for your time.