Author Topic: Change the effects of downed HQ  (Read 1430 times)

Offline save

• Gold Member
Re: Change the effects of downed HQ
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2014, 07:30:20 PM »
This is one of those wishes, that will continue to echo, with very few objections.

Let's rewind.  A couple of years ago, there were wishes that the strategic game play be given some "teeth".  I was absolutely in favor of this, and even stated my reasoning that risking Darn fast  bombers flying 300mph+ in formation at 30k running deep into enemy territory to "flick the light switch" for a few moments was not worthy of the effort.

Since then, as I was away from the game for some time, I return to find the current state of factory strats and downtimes in existence, and applaud HTC for their ingenuity.  However, THE BALANCE moved too far  in the favor of the STRAT ATTACKERS.  This is something that can easily be remedied, and truly needs to be addressed ahead of any upcoming visual changes to the game.

There are entire threads discussing the balance aspect and what it means in terms of encouraging interaction that is the basis for online play.  Granted some interaction has to do with strikes on non player controlled targets, but frontline action should not be forced to suffer, nor players frustrated by extended outages of radar clues for where interaction shall occur.

Fixed !
Bomber normally flew well below 200mph to keep formation intact. Here they speed like rabbits on laxative.
To be able to find any fight anywhere on a big map, radar bar is needed.
Flying around aimlessly for 15 minutes to find a con is plain stupid for a game that should be promoting fights.

Changes for HQ down could be :

Change so only ENY 10+ planes are allowed (or increase with X ENY depending how much was hit of all strategy combined objects)
Kill comms : used same ways as mute.

But do not kill the fights.
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline TheCrazyOrange

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »
Perhaps HQ disables country channel and CH 200 only?

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2014, 01:38:08 AM »
Perhaps HQ disables country channel and CH 200 only?
No no. This will create a similar problem as disabling all darbars - make people want to log off. It will also hurt mostly the new players and those that are not in squads since the latter have their own txt and vox channels or use external programs for voice chat.

Bombing HQ is a strategic mission and should have a strategic consequence not a tactical one! Strategic consequence could be affecting down time (I suggested to do this by lowering the effectiveness of resupply, including AI which will add to down time on top of strat factories penalties), affecting the ability to base capture (no troops while HQ down), affecting ENY limit (I do not recommend this), and affecting dot dar including the friendly dots (as it does now). The latter loss of friendly dots makes finding each other difficult. Also, you do not see the location of the person speaking on range on the map. Both effects are pretty devastating by themselves and affect also the furballers, but not enough to make them logout in disgust.

Because it would make the game easier.

The HQ can be defended, just like it can be attacked and most times it's impossible to sneak in on it so you have plenty of time to set up an intercept.

Fighting without any dar isn't impossible, it's just harder.  Communication is key when HQ is down and it's pretty easy.  You can see who is near you on range and help each other out.  You can type on your country channel and give or get instantaneous communication across the entire map, and you can give your SA a good workout.

HQ down is no different than how we fly FSO's, and those are mightily fun as I recall.  In FSO, I understand you know what the mission is and where to expect an attack.  Well, in the Main Arena, you got a pretty good idea what the enemy is also doing especially if you communicate with your mates.
It does not make the game easier - it makes finding a fight easier.

Defending or attacking the HQ is simply a matter of time investment. Put bombers on auto-climb, go to the supermarket, come back and fly to HQ at 35k. To defend: put fighter in auto-climb, watch the screen in a blanc stare for 20 minutes, snap out of it and fly around hoping to find the 35k bomber flying at 300+ mph, get pinged from 1000 yards to the radiator and pilot wound. Both activities are not what I and many others want to do in AH.

FSO operation are designed to make the forces meet. FSO where you do not meet the enemy are merely two hours of formation flying. Try doing FSO and let all COs choose their own targets and TO bases anywhere on the map. See how long till no one shows up to these events.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2014, 02:30:31 PM »
+ Eleventy Billion.    These are excerpts from the last similar request:

Look out the tower window of a flashing base...ok, coast is clear - I can take off.  Fly around for a few minutes without spotting anything but still flashing.  Is it a set of 25k bombers?  Are they north, south, east or west?  Or they coming, going or just passing through the dar circle?  Is it one tank or a bunch?  A 10k P-51 steamroller mission or a single noe porker.  Maybe just a goon parked somewhere.  Several other bases are flashing.  Should I try my luck there?  Is there a fight going on?  Who the hell knows?

Nuke the HQ all day long, for all I care.  There has got to be a consequence that's better than making it tougher to find the bad guys.  Things like disabling all town ack, disabling perk planes, increasing perk plane cost, disabling base capture, adding downtimes to strats or even lowering the base count needed to reset the map.  Something that doesn't decrease the chance of combat.

edit: I like the idea of disabling all auto-ack when the HQ is down - even for CV groups.  Manned guns would still work.  That's a big time reward for dropping the HQ.  One that doesn't make it harder to find the invaders.  Also, harden the HQ enough to prevent a single set of noe Lancs from killing it.

And when the HQ goes down, there should be a system message on country text that says:  HQ has been destroyed: auto-ack is disabled until HQ is resupplied.

I for one, +1 the cost of perk planes/disable perk planes for the time that the HQ is down (gives a big incentive to defend it). Also Auto-ack a big +1 to, because it would give more incentive to destroy it.
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2014, 07:30:39 AM »
put fighter in auto-climb, watch the screen in a blanc stare for 20 minutes, snap out of it and fly around hoping to find the 35k bomber flying at 300+ mph, get pinged from 1000 yards to the radiator and pilot wound.

Story of my life  :lol

+1 on changing downed HQ effect. I wouldn't shorten its downtime or make resupping easier, but the options Bozon presented sound pretty good. I wouldn't touch eny either...
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 06:47:31 AM »
Making troops unavailabe by killing HQ seems as a good idea, dars can still be up but u cant take bases w HQ down. Still allows people to fight and u can bomb HQ as a way to prevent your team from getting steamrolled.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking