Author Topic: Flight Demonstration Group....  (Read 941 times)

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
      • 8th AAF Squadron Website
Flight Demonstration Group....
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:26:50 PM »
Was thinking the other day, not sure how easy it would even be to achieve or do but thought it might be kind of fun to play around with a group doing some aerobatics and such like the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, nothing to time consuming but just playing around with it in the TA and see what we could achieve for fun. If any of the skinners and if HTC would allow maybe throw some mock ups of the angels (F6F) or birds (P51D) skins together too for use.

flame on

or support it... either way just throwing it out there.

8thBuff
8thBuff (CO)  8th AAF  "The Mighty 8th"  Squadron

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
Re: Flight Demonstration Group....
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 06:01:21 PM »
+1 we have air races why not this
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 01:27:16 AM »
only need about 5 guys to really make this happen I don't see why it would be to hard to get a few guys together once a week maybe or maybe not even that often just to play around and have fun doing something a little different.

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:26:32 AM »
I cheat by using staged missions! :old:
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 07:17:26 AM »
I cheat by using staged missions! :old:

Looking for your mission now!

I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 09:20:51 AM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl

MMMMmmmmm Crab for Dinn Dinn  :bolt:

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »
You can dine between her thighs, I'm hoping they get something good in the net.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2014, 04:08:49 PM »
If anyone is interested in maybe talking about it or flyin a little ill be in the Training Arena tonight for awhile, I experimented with a 262 earlier today worked pretty well, so i figure try it with a p51D, F6F-5, and a 262, see what works best and go from there, i am waiting to hear back about the possibility of doing a skin replica of Bird's and/or Angel's.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 04:31:49 PM »
Was thinking the other day, not sure how easy it would even be to achieve or do but thought it might be kind of fun to play around with a group doing some aerobatics and such like the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, nothing to time consuming but just playing around with it in the TA and see what we could achieve for fun. If any of the skinners and if HTC would allow maybe throw some mock ups of the angels (F6F) or birds (P51D) skins together too for use.

flame on

or support it... either way just throwing it out there.

8thBuff

Good idea.  If HTC would add the F8F (and F7F to the lwma, both with perk costs) you could use for your mockup an accurate skin to compliment the accurate aircraft.

/shameless wish-plug
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 04:34:03 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 05:32:13 PM »
If anyone is interested in maybe talking about it or flyin a little ill be in the Training Arena tonight for awhile, I experimented with a 262 earlier today worked pretty well, so i figure try it with a p51D, F6F-5, and a 262, see what works best and go from there, i am waiting to hear back about the possibility of doing a skin replica of Bird's and/or Angel's.

You may want to start with something that flys slowly. Fly in pairs to start and switch lead and wing to gain experience in both. Build some skills practicing in pairs before you add more pilots to the formation. Try flat turns, wingovers, loops, and barrel rolls. That will give you skills to do a show.

Speed control is essential to maintaining position. The throttle makes speed changes slowly. Pitching up and down makes speed changes quickly so any pitch up or down by lead has to be communicated so that everyone changes speed at the same time.

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 05:09:28 PM »
Well the possibility of having a skin made for the demo team has been shot down, if it wasn't in the war..... blah blah so I guess we cant have the added element of immersion in putting this team together, but its not going to stop me from trying to do it, we can have airshow smoke but not airshow paint I guess  :bolt:. So far only have one person that has expressed that he will attempt to get together with me and one other that is going to try and pull from his squad. I will be around tomm during the day and evening (Eastern Time) if anyone would like to start experimenting and flying together.

Thanks for the tips and ideas FLS that is exactly where I was kind of thinking start simple and work up from there, and really working out the throttle management and communication is going to be a huge part and understanding the delay in transmission and reception as that slight delay will effect things as well, and working out a dialogue that everyone can understand easily.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 08:03:23 PM »
You only need one wingman to begin practice. Try for 50 yards separation to start and work towards 25.

When you fly lead stay at reduced power.  The wingman will use whatever throttle they need. The wingman has 3 things to control. In order of precedence.

1. Angle offset from lead, 30 - 45 degrees from the wing line or 3/9 line.

2. Distance from lead.

3. Altitude slightly below lead.

Take care of angle first, then distance, then altitude.

Lead should turn towards the wingman to correct position errors and in general to make it easier to hold position.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:05:07 PM by FLS »

Offline 9thAFE

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 07:37:42 PM »
Ill be in the TA, the LWA doesnt look to inviting right now, so if anyone would like to do some formation flying come on down....

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 07:56:28 PM »
If you end up practicing solo you can work on a basic pattern. I usually assume the audience is S of the field. Real flying doesn't allow flying towards the crowd but we can do it without risk. Your flight path will set the view angles. Remember to fly at reduced power and be smooth and steady. The lead has to fly the same way each time so the wingmen can make predictable corrections and stay in position.

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 02:45:05 AM »
The virtual aerobatics is pretty popular in the world of IL-2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjlABZqphjw

Why not in Aces High too!!! :salute
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät