Author Topic: Tank Stuff  (Read 958 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Tank Stuff
« on: July 16, 2014, 04:43:36 PM »
Every time I up a tank I'm spawn camper fooder.  I never see them.  Will use the nonperked Panzer as an example.

When searching for the enemy, is it best to do that from the commander's position using zoom or from the tank canon firing position?

Is patience the order of the day in tank world?  That I am short of.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
Re: Tank Stuff
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:47:53 PM »
Zoom from the commander's view is better for me, field of view and speed of traverse wise definitely.

If you get camped it's best just to find a different place to fight. Though, being bloody minded, I often keep upping just to get one of the blighters. Or you could come back with bombs and egg them, though this is likely to grant you a storm of verbal abuse from Xplayer with his 200 hard won camp kills.

Tanks are best utilised in unison with fighter support for this reason.

It does take a lot of patience to tank because you have to drive a long way to find a fight with any sort of equal advantage. Tank town maps offer the best bang for your buck as far as time/action goes.

I expect some of the experienced tankers will come along here shortly and they are the people you will want to talk to.

this player may be able to help you better than me http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=18534
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 06:43:39 PM »
Patience is one of the big virtues in tanking,
upping into a camped spawn isn't always the way to go either, but if you must
, use the t-34s, the turret traverses faster than most, it will also take a little more punishment than the panzer.
To break a spawn camp it always helps to up in large numbers together .
If you'd like too,  I can meet up with you and we can go over some of the finer points of GVs in AH2, just let me know.

P.S.  Tanking can bring you a more instant gratification in ability to get into a fight right now!!  It can also get you back into the tower much faster, learning the spawns and driving a ways to the fight isn't always a bad thing!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 06:48:22 PM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 06:31:07 AM »
Thanks Mechanic and Whiskey for the replies.

I need to work on my patience for sure.  I tend to charge in like diving into the middle of a furball.

I had not thought about the need to spend time learning the spawn area layout.

I will give the T34's a go.

WWhiskey, let me get familiar with the T34 and build a bit of patience then I will get in touch with you for the finer points.

The tank guys are always a friendly bunch.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 08:16:26 AM »
Randy, if you care to 86 the wack-a-mole spawn points in favor of taking down towns and capturing.  THEN, scoot out the the ib spawn and make like a hole in the water waiting for the bad guys to arrive.

Less frustrating.  Better for your country.

Good luck  :)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »
Hap, fighters are still my number one game but I would just like to be well rounded in vehicles and boats as well. 

I might should run supplies for the tank guys.  That would be a good way to learn the battle areas.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 11:37:21 AM »
I tried to be conservative in the crater last.  Got killed in a matter of minutes and many times.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 12:06:42 PM »
A lot of watch and learn and ask for some pointers from the dedicated gv guys.

I don't believe airstud is on the bbs, he's an easy going good guy and would help you I'm sure if you ask respectfully.

Practice ranging a lot and google Zeiss mil site (iirc) on how to use the German site.

Resupply towns to replenish your lost Panthers and you'll always have enough perks.

:salute

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 12:45:35 PM »

. . .  Resupply towns to replenish your lost Panthers and you'll always have enough perks.

:salute

I did not know that.  Do you get perks when supplying other tanks?

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 01:11:54 PM »
I did not know that.  Do you get perks when supplying other tanks?
I don't think so, but you do get perks for re supplying towns and fields!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 06:53:40 PM »
Randy,

Map at least four keys to your Joystick and\or Throttle Mode 2 for Vehicles.

1. Position 1 or commander mode.
2. Position 2 or main gun optics mode.
3. Two buttons to "decrease \ increase" the main gun range while in the main gun optics mode.

If these are on your joystick or throttle and you can flip through them as fast as using your mapped buttons for flaps and views in fighters. It will save you valuable seconds. My keyboard just didn't cut it when a GV would break through our lines at TT on CraterMA. Or spawn in right under your nose when you were in commander mode with your main gun set to 3600yds.

Some of your losses are better prepared players for GV mode fighting.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline mikev

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 10:31:03 PM »
 1 thing i do is use the mouse instead of the stick for all my gv use. i map  my wheel for range and my right click for secondary weapons select. i map my keyboard as follows  besides the  w (forward) s (slow ,reverse) a (left) d (right) i map the q as (full speed) and the r for (stop) the e remains (engine start, stop) this allows me to use all functions without any guesswork . im not claiming to be any tank expert but whatever saves you time and eliminates any guesswork or lost time in a gv battle is the way to go.if you getting killed spawning your gv and dont see the shot chances are they are behind you  or you miss where the shot comes from and they get you on the second shot. this is why i spawn with out zoom then zoom in after i see the shot location. using the full speed key gives you a chance save a second move to safety locate and fire. sometimes it is even better to shut off your engine and listen for the enemy. good luck  :salute
1 Of these days you will regret shooting me down.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R4qb6_RPUc

Offline 1ijac

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2014, 01:08:00 AM »
Randy,

Look me up in the MA sometime and I will gladly give you the run down on gvs.  Also, Ranger made a map that has a gv practice range on it.  You can shoot at other tanks and other objects to get used to the sighting etc. in an offline arena.  Again, get in touch with me and I'll help you out.

one-eye
"One-Eye"

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2014, 06:46:27 AM »
Randy,

Map at least four keys to your Joystick and\or Throttle Mode 2 for Vehicles.

. . . Some of your losses are better prepared players for GV mode fighting.
Bustr I do have those keys map.  I could through rearrange them for a bit quicker change.  I see your point.  Speed switching is very important.

.  . . . this is why i spawn with out zoom then zoom in after i see the shot location. using the full speed key gives you a chance save a second move to safety locate and fire. sometimes it is even better to shut off your engine and listen for the enemy. good luck  :salute

mikev  I do spend a lot of time in zoom trying to find the bad guys.    I will stay more unzoomed as you suggest I had always worry if I shut the engine off, I cant get out of the way fast enough.  I
Randy,

Look me up in the MA sometime and I will gladly give you the run down on gvs.  Also, Ranger made a map that has a gv practice range on it.  You can shoot at other tanks and other objects to get used to the sighting etc. in an offline arena.  Again, get in touch with me and I'll help you out.

one-eye

I will do just that One-eye.

I missed Whiskey training class he put on in the TA.  I can see that was a mistake

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 07:42:25 PM »
Full speed Key?

Do you mean shift+W?
They're casting their bait over there, see?