Author Topic: CH Fighterstick Pots  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
CH Fighterstick Pots
« on: July 18, 2014, 11:18:24 AM »
My Fighterstick (7-8 yrs old) seems sluggish. I'm using a powered hub and have played with damping & sliders. I'm guessing the problem is dirty or warn Pots. Is there a way of verifying this in Control Mgr or otherwise?

Thanks

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: CH Fighterstick Pots
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 11:48:02 AM »
Sluggish is most likely a scaling issue. Dirty pots usually gives you spiking.

Go to the controllers section in the game. Click on the fighter stick in the drop down menu, then click the advanced button. Select each axis and watch the input line in the blue box, as well as the input numbers where you clicked for the axis. If the numbers are jumping all over the place it is most likely dirty pots. Dead band slider can get rid of some of it but you really don't want to more it up off the bottom much.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 11:50:03 AM »
Will do - TQ

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 11:53:40 AM »
You can also put a multimeter on your pots and move the stick slowly to verify.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:55:29 AM »
If I'm not imputing pitch or ailerons, the #'s are rock steady. I'll lower damping a little and see if that helps.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 11:58:27 AM »
If they solid the damping and Dead band should be very low. Use the scaling slider to adjust instead.

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 12:31:58 PM »
Tried that earlier...pushed em all to the top across the board.

I'm not getting spiking, just that a Hurri feels like a Tiffy and so on.

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 02:09:40 PM »
If not spiking in the game calibration screen set the deadband and damping to minimum and watch the inputs on those axii for change. Teeny changes aren't a big deal but are a sign your pot may just need cleaning. Short term fix is to adjust the deadband up just until the inputs show steady. Watch them as you cycle the stick for crazy spikes. If you get those try adding some damping a little at a time until it goes away. I don't know how you feel about it but I don't care for a lot of damping even with new pots. Just seems too laggy for me. Less is more IMO.

If that doesn't fix it try cleaning them out. It'll require taking the stick apart. Don't use electronics cleaner with lubricant. It'll collect more dirt and you'll be right back doing this sooner than later. I lilke CRC  mass air flow senson cleaner. I get it at auto stores. Cleans great, no residue and safe for plastics. Cheap too and a big ol can.

If THAT doesn't work then ya gotta replace them. I used to have spares but I'm out. Somebody here knows where you can get em tho. It's actually easier to just swap em out if you have em since you're doing all the work to get at em anyway.

GL wid dat!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 09:14:05 PM »
I have a question on CH fighter stick. When I checked clip board calibration last couple of days, elevator axis was steady at 3267.5 centered but would not read lower than 533 when pushed forward. Today its not going lower than 1029 when limit of motion was checked. I had calibrated in windows yesterday and calibrated in AH clip board today. Would like to get this resolved, fighters feel like I'm driving a truck.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 01:38:54 AM »
Max:

I have several pots, used and new unused spares, from my old CH rudder pedals I got rid of several years ago.  If the photo below is correct it confirms my understanding that CH sticks use the same pots. They are yours if you want them.  I only ask you pay the shipping costs (which shouldn't be much).  PM me if you are interested.

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2014, 04:03:24 AM »
I have a question on CH fighter stick. When I checked clip board calibration last couple of days, elevator axis was steady at 3267.5 centered but would not read lower than 533 when pushed forward. Today its not going lower than 1029 when limit of motion was checked. I had calibrated in windows yesterday and calibrated in AH clip board today. Would like to get this resolved, fighters feel like I'm driving a truck.

Check your trim wheels and make sure they are centered.

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2014, 08:08:10 PM »
Max: Sent a PM. I pulled the pots out of storage and will try to get out on Monday. Hope they help.  :salute

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2014, 08:55:47 PM »
You can call CH and they should still sell them, though they are kind of expensive (used to be $12 each) or you can go directly to the manufacturer CTS and buy yourself a box of potentiometers.  CH uses 100k potentiometers.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2014, 01:43:13 AM »
You can call CH and they should still sell them, though they are kind of expensive (used to be $12 each) or you can go directly to the manufacturer CTS and buy yourself a box of potentiometers.  CH uses 100k potentiometers.

ack-ack

They do sell them, but they did take down the old support site where you used to be able to buy them.  They were not that expensive when I bought them and again, you are welcome to them.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2014, 12:10:41 PM »
that's out of the subject but anyone knows if there's a stick out there that combines the spring mechanism of the CH with HAL effect sensors ?