Author Topic: Re-Arm Pad  (Read 2516 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: Re-Arm Pad
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2014, 12:15:58 PM »
No one is making you use the Re-Arm pad.  No one is making you pay attention to those who use it and land multiple kills.  I personally like how as each kill is added to the sortie, the excitement level goes up a bit.  By the time you are over 10, it gets a bit more "immersive".  It is a challenge to keep re-arming and going up over and over again.  I like it and I use it because I like it.  If you don't like it don't use it.

This is a fun game.  If some things in the game aren't fun, then don't do them but don't take away from some one else's fun.  It's not hurting you one little bit.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2014, 12:19:19 PM »
Zoney,

Not sure who your comments are directed at but for the record, I agree with the latter part of your post.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2014, 12:26:39 PM »
If your thoughts were implemented then some of the achievements would need to be eradicated

Eliminating kills/sorties as a scoring category would have the same effect (doesn't kills/time cover roughly the same ground anyway?) but I think that would be an even less popular option.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2014, 01:05:48 PM »
Eliminating kills/sorties as a scoring category would have the same effect (doesn't kills/time cover roughly the same ground anyway?) but I think that would be an even less popular option.

Actually no.  There are players that would rather spend their time hunting for a "quality fight" as they see it which takes time.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »
Actually no.  There are players that would rather spend their time hunting for a "quality fight" as they see it which takes time.

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!

That in combination with the extra time it takes to get back and re-arm kills the kills per sortie so the re-armers are paying a price in Kills/Time.  I think it is a fair and equitable set up.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 01:22:49 PM »

Ding!  Ding!  Ding!

That in combination with the extra time it takes to get back and re-arm kills the kills per sortie so the re-armers are paying a price in Kills/Time.  I think it is a fair and equitable set up.

Agreed.

And Lusche can back me up here.  Zoney finishes every Tour in the top 5 for K/D and K/sortie.  However his K/hr suffer greatly. Greatly.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 02:32:39 PM »
Re-arming should successfully end the previous sortie and start a new one as far as scoring is concerned. I see no purpose in having a scoring category (kills/sortie) that effectively amounts to "Does this guy use the re-arm pad a lot?"

However using the same plane over and over is also hard because you accumulate damage to your plane.
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 02:58:18 PM »
I'm in the 'leave it as is' camp.  If you want to try to take off again missing half a wing, it's no skin off my nose either way.  While I find it a tiny bit gamey to rearm to continue a 'sortie', it really doesn't affect me in any appreciable way and it gives you an opportunity to go for a streak if you so desire.

I don't rearm, and I still haven't been able to do better than 7 in a single sortie...  Either run out of bullets or run out of enemies.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 03:04:09 PM »
Please do not change the re-arm pad.  It's the first place I look when I reach a enemy field.   :D

This^^^

:devil

especially when I'm in a B-25H, the rearm pad almost has a target with crosshairs painted on it, as if to say "shoot here!"

Nothing like a 75mm howitzer vulch from 3K out to make 'em mad!
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
No one is making you use the Re-Arm pad.  No one is making you pay attention to those who use it and land multiple kills.  I personally like how as each kill is added to the sortie, the excitement level goes up a bit.  By the time you are over 10, it gets a bit more "immersive".  It is a challenge to keep re-arming and going up over and over again.  I like it and I use it because I like it.  If you don't like it don't use it.

This is a fun game.  If some things in the game aren't fun, then don't do them but don't take away from some one else's fun.  It's not hurting you one little bit.

That's the best argument of all for the re-arm pad the way it is, Zoney.  I'm such a history dweeb I would probably not be a good game designer :)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: July 22, 2014, 04:44:08 PM »
It seems my suggeston about changing the re-arm pad is not popular, I therefore withdraw my wish.  Thank you all for the excellent discussion.

I'll see you all in the un-friendly skies.  Very likely however, many of you won't see me.  (Check your high 6 a bit more often)
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2014, 04:47:07 PM »
I'm such a history dweeb I would probably not be a good game designer :)

Maybe.  But the guys who did play your game...would probably love you.   ;)

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2014, 05:23:35 PM »
If re-arming is a sign of great courage then there should be nothing wrong with showing an asterisk next to your kills on 200 when you land to distinguish them from regular sortie kills.  That way we can all see your kills took unique effort.  :old:
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2014, 05:51:16 PM »
If re-arming is a sign of great courage then there should be nothing wrong with showing an asterisk next to your kills on 200 when you land to distinguish them from regular sortie kills.  That way we can all see your kills took unique effort.  :old:

Years ago I logged in to show up in a tower way in my country's back field. I noticed a famous name in a 262 sitting on the re-arm pad. Didn't think much of it at that moment. Then I went to the nearest DAR to start my fun and that 262 made runs through the area. Some time later that famous name landed a 20 kill string in his 262. So on country I asked how many re-arms it took. He lied and replied it was a single sortie.

I like the idea of the asterisk, why not go one further and include the rearm pad count with the asterisk. Or I guess they still don't include an asterisk next to home runs for the well known steroid users. Still, separating kills landed in one sortie from kills landed in multiple sorties is more honest.

Having the distinction only shows amazing skill under two different conditions. It might even encourage newer players to rearm with a single kill rather than tower. That in itself is one of the roots to the mental doggedness you have to develop in this game to frequently land 2 or more kills every sortie.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 09:17:34 AM »

"Quality fight"? I still find the nearest red dar bar sufficiently challenging, most of the time. Also, how do you distinguish the "ace" red dars from dars produced by mere dabblers?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."