Author Topic: New Star Wars/Unicef teaser from JJ Abrams  (Read 1036 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: New Star Wars/Unicef teaser from JJ Abrams
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 11:16:35 AM »
I'll be honest, I'm seriously hoping to see this crash and burn. Lucas already milked the cow dry, now Disney's trying to squeeze out a last bit of curdled milk. I can safely say I've never been sitting around thinking, "Gee, you know what would be awesome? Three MORE mainline Star Wars movies and a bunch of solo spinoffs for supporting characters."

The only potential good I foresee this doing the franchise is giving more fuel for Darths & Droids to continue after they get through Return of the Jedi.

Seriously, it's really kind of pathetic that a webcomic satire gave the Prequel Trilogy more dramatic weight THAN THE MOVIES THEMSELVES.

You won't be forced to buy a ticket or watch the movie.  Others may want to and they will, see, simple.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 11:22:29 AM »
I'll be honest, I'm seriously hoping to see this crash and burn.

Would it be so unbearable if it would actually (if unexpectedly perhaps) turn out to be a nice movie?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 10thmd

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 01:38:59 PM »
I'll be honest, I'm seriously hoping to see this crash and burn. Lucas already milked the cow dry, now Disney's trying to squeeze out a last bit of curdled milk. I can safely say I've never been sitting around thinking, "Gee, you know what would be awesome? Three MORE mainline Star Wars movies and a bunch of solo spinoffs for supporting characters."

The only potential good I foresee this doing the franchise is giving more fuel for Darths & Droids to continue after they get through Return of the Jedi.

Seriously, it's really kind of pathetic that a webcomic satire gave the Prequel Trilogy more dramatic weight THAN THE MOVIES THEMSELVES.

Have you read any of the Books written in the past 30 years that expand the universe in so many cool and unique directions?
- Der Wander Zirkus -
“You can all go to hell; I will go to Texas

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 02:13:41 PM »

Would it be so unbearable if it would actually (if unexpectedly perhaps) turn out to be a nice movie?

I'm mildly hopeful they'll be able to do something with it.  As long as it isn't two and a half hours of ewoks farting and grooming each other it will be an improvement over the prequels.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline HPriller

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:30 PM »
I agree with Saxman, the cow has long since been milked dry.  It probably would've been best to have left it alone after the original trilogy.  The steering of it into a children's franchise is what I think really led to the downfall, starting from Return of the Jedi's cutesy teddy bear ewoks (who served no purpose other than to appeal to small children) all the way to the eventual sale to Disney really illustrates that.  Don't get me wrong, some of what they've done was good, but overall it became too clichéd and unappealing to me.  To me, the focus seems to have shifted into having all new content being used based on how well it can sell as a lego toy.  I'd just as soon see these new movies flop hard so we can move on to some new and perhaps original sci-fi instead of the sequel fever that has gripped Hollywood in recent years.  I enjoyed it immensely for years but now Star Wars is dead to me, time to bury it.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 03:29:05 PM »

I was hopeful about a continuation o Star Wars once. And then do you know what happened?

Jar-Jar Binks happened, that's what. And it only got worse from there.

Have you read any of the Books written in the past 30 years that expand the universe in so many cool and unique directions?

No, but I've read many of the books written in the past 30 years that weren't fit to be used as toilet paper.

The only books that did any justice at all to the Original Trilogy were Zahn (whose hints about the Clone Wars in the Thrawn Trilogy were about a THOUSAND times better than what Lucas actually gave us), Stackpole and Allston. Double "suck" points if it was by Traviss or Kevin J. Anderson. Triple if it was in any way connected with NJO or Legacy of the Farce--er--Force.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:34:16 PM by Saxman »
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 03:59:03 PM »
Jar-Jar Binks happened, that's what. And it only got worse from there.

And that's why I totally ignored the three prequels. :)

But that doesn't make me sittin in the cave, hating like Gollum ;)

These teasers have, despite all negative expectations of mine, raised my interest, so I will just wait and see. If the new one seems to be good enough I will watch it (I'm very picky about what I watch these days). I don't see them point in wishing them to make a bad movie. I hope they make a good one. I hope every new movie being made is a good one. If it's not, I will ignore it... or at least complain about it afterwards if they folled me into seeing it. :)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
JJ did a great job with the Star Trek reboot, so I have hopes for this.  I discount anything previous, as JJ has a way of putting his own spin on things.  We shall see.

I hope it is entertaining and that is all I would like.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 09:19:35 PM »
That's pretty much how I come down on it as well.  As different as the Star Trek reboot was from what I expected, I still quite enjoyed both films so far, and JJ is a big reason for that - although I pray he doesn't go all lens flare with Star Wars.  I'm cautiously optimistic, and don't think the story is spent yet.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 01:37:52 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

As I said, this looks built from the original McQuarrie concept art.

Yep, in addition to using practical special effects instead of relying on green screen, Abrams is also using the original concept art for some other things.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song