Author Topic: Yet Another Plea for Historical Gameplay  (Read 1836 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Yet Another Plea for Historical Gameplay
« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2001, 05:08:00 AM »
Another good idea would be the a spellchecker for the BBS

<G.D.R>

Originally posted by hitech:
A alternative arena format wether mission based or other options is somthing we consider.

To close the main arena just to force people to try somthing different is a realy bad idea.

HiTech

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Vulcan ]

Offline Dawvgrid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2001, 05:33:00 AM »
wye sjut wi hav ai spæltjekker wem wi unter-
stant itjoder.  :D

Offline janjan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2001, 06:19:00 AM »
Is Wb 2.77 WW2 arena really a failure?

I know there is usually less people than AH MA, BUT can it just be because AH is years ahead of Wb 2.77 and no such arena exist on Wb 3?

Wb WW2 arena is almost what I'd like to play in as a arena consept. Increase there AH:s comparatively better axis planes, better strategy components and voila.

Of course there would still be a few problems that are in WB ww2 arena as well.

I'd like to see the arena in specific theater with correct maps and plane sets i.e. no japanese and german planes in same theater.

Also the plane set is not that good yet especially considering bombers.

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2001, 09:07:00 AM »
I'm not sure where the "force" is coming from.  The idea is to offer everyone a change in map/sides and the opportunity to particpate in ops that are organized for you.  In my last post taking into consideration everything that was said the original idea had developed into a two sided arena, say axis/allies, using a historical map (BOB for example).....ahh,ya know what, the hell with it, if your interested you'll read it.  I offerred some suggestions to add a little variety to the same old thing.  Seems to me that a vocal few are opposed to any change whatsoever. Fine, leave it boring, and squads like mine will simply continue to drop out as they get bored with the lack variety as well.

CRASH out

Originally posted by hitech:
A alternative arena format wether mission based or other options is somthing we consider.

To close the main arena just to force people to try somthing different is a realy bad idea.

HiTech

Offline Duckwing6

• Copper Member
      • http://www.pink.at
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2001, 10:31:00 AM »
Well how about an AXIS vs. Allies Weekend ? or well if that's to extreme how about an AXIS vs. Allies Wednesday ?

DW6

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2001, 10:46:00 AM »
Save the ink Duck, it's a waste of time, I've run into more open minded Taliban.
I and my squadmates have made what we consider good suggestions to HT in the past and if any response was recieved at all it was always an unequivocol NO.  I mentioned having a little crosswind at ground level at some airfields occasionally to add some realism to take offs and landings, easily done...no dice.  Maybe a little low level weather, ya know I've hear that low level clouds and socked in air bases were rumored to occurr during the war, apparently I was mistaken.  NO CHANGES!!  unless we thought of it, of course exploding sheep are good additions to keep things from getting too boring....lame....sad.
CRASH

Originally posted by Duckwing6:
Well how about an AXIS vs. Allies Weekend ? or well if that's to extreme how about an AXIS vs. Allies Wednesday ?

DW6

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: CRASH ]

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2001, 11:19:00 AM »
CRASH,

I've had several suggestions adopted by HTC over the years.  Sometimes it <cough> takes a while, but they DO listen.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2001, 01:38:00 PM »
Crash:

The MA may be boring for you but it is not for a lot of players.  When you were a newbie, you probably liked it.  By far most players and most newbies seem to show far more affection for the MA than any other type of arena I have ever seen.  It would be suicide for HTC to take the MA away and lose lots of potential customers to keep a minority of the old hands happy.  Besides, most of us old hands seem to prefer the MA anyway.

Hooligan

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2001, 01:40:00 PM »
Take the MA away?  Did you even read the posts?

CRASH

Originally posted by Hooligan:
Crash:

It would be suicide for HTC to take the MA away and lose lots of potential customers to keep a minority of the old hands happy.  
Hooligan

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2001, 03:46:00 PM »
Don't change the fly what you want, when you want MA.  There needs to be a choice.  The Combat Theater is a step in that direction, but it's not a true choice, IMO.  With the CT you don't get scoring, meaningful strat, i.e. players advancing the "war" on the map, and you don't get to see your spiffy kill stats (unless you keep score yerself!)  So the choice is plane choice/strat vs constrained planes/furballing.  Neither of those is my favorite choice.  The TOD is, but that's 2 hours one night of the week.  Anyways, I don't want the choice taken away from me, not even for a day.  What if the "BoB Day" is the one day that week I could fly and I had my heart set on my Hellcat?

Don't take away choices, add choices.  If not enough people like the new choice, tough, get over it, don't force the majority to try it, even for a day.  Encourage them to try it, but don't take away what they already enjoy to get them to try it.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2001, 05:23:00 PM »
Okay CRASH it's semantics.

Instead of "take the MA away", substitute "change the MA into an unpopular form".

I don't really see the difference and my original point stands.

Hooligan

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2001, 08:39:00 AM »
"You want a CT? Hey! WarBirds has one of those things up 24/7 and it's the only one people fly in... go there!

I know how WWII turned out, and when I want a taste of a real mission or what a REAL battle in WWII would of been like- I go for scenarios.

Anything else is simply a half-assed gamey revision to suit those who want a "historical" furball because they can't figure out how to get their Pee51 or F*ckingWhine190 to kill a Spitfire.
-SW "

SW can be kinda perceptive in rare moments.   I agree plus..... All LW planes are the same.   All fights against LW planes are the same.   I don't care to counter the 109 move or the 190 move day in and day out....  crash doesn't want "historical"... He want's to taylor history to fit his style of gameplay.  No "historical" arena has vever been anything like "history".
lazs

Offline Steven

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
      • http://members.cox.net/barking.pig/puke.htm
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2001, 12:59:00 PM »
If people do not want to be restricted in what they fly, why aren't more flying in the Training Arena?  The few times I've popped in it's just a major furball and over there you have no restrictions at all on what you can fly because there are no perk points and fuel is unlimited.    ;)

The freedom of choice in the MA is really a Catch-22 which will become evident if early-war aircraft are introduced.  Your freedom to choose a N1K2, LA7, Spit IX or SpitXIV (if introduced) would make my choice to fly an F4F or P40 (when and if ever introduced) really not an option.  Sure, I can grab an F4F to fly but there will be those people who fly the best they can get their hands on to rack up impressive kill ratios and their seeing an F4F in the arena I would be the target of evey late-war-aircraft-flying-numnutt looking to pad his kill/death ratio and it would quickly become no fun for me.  So I would really be forced to fly something else if I want to survive for even the slightest bit in the MA.  That's no true choice as to what to fly.  I like that we have a discourse going on this topic because I think some people are starting to see a potential problem in the future.  Some like late-war, some like mid-war and some like early-war aircraft and they really do not mix well in a free-for-all environment.  Even though you have the choice to fly whatever you want in the MA, it is and always will be a late-war planeset in use.  Also, carrier planes will probably not do as well against their lighter ground based cousins and this may involve theater restrictions as well.  I'm not currently seeing a whole lot of F4U-1s and Hurricans in the MA because they are more difficult to survive in and I can only imagine the introduction of early Zekes, Wildcats, Warhawks, Buffaloes, Devastators and Dauntlases as being any real choice for a player if the plane set in the MA is left wide open.  And yes, I am a fan of early-war aircraft and so I do have concerns.  

For now, I would love to see a second offering of TOD and more special events.

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2001, 01:23:00 PM »
Wow...somebody finally gets it  :)  It's about having more options, not less. In some manifestations it would be neither about more or less as far as hardware is concerned, just a different style of play...a change of pace.

CRASH

Originally posted by Steven:
If people do not want to be restricted in what they fly, why aren't more flying in the Training Arena?  The few times I've popped in it's just a major furball and over there you have no restrictions at all on what you can fly because there are no perk points and fuel is unlimited.     ;)

The freedom of choice in the MA is really a Catch-22 which will become evident if early-war aircraft are introduced.  Your freedom to choose a N1K2, LA7, Spit IX or SpitXIV (if introduced) would make my choice to fly an F4F or P40 (when and if ever introduced) really not an option.  Sure, I can grab an F4F to fly but there will be those people who fly the best they can get their hands on to rack up impressive kill ratios and their seeing an F4F in the arena I would be the target of evey late-war-aircraft-flying-numnutt looking to pad his kill/death ratio and it would quickly become no fun for me.  So I would really be forced to fly something else if I want to survive for even the slightest bit in the MA.  That's no true choice as to what to fly.  I like that we have a discourse going on this topic because I think some people are starting to see a potential problem in the future.  Some like late-war, some like mid-war and some like early-war aircraft and they really do not mix well in a free-for-all environment.  Even though you have the choice to fly whatever you want in the MA, it is and always will be a late-war planeset in use.  Also, carrier planes will probably not do as well against their lighter ground based cousins and this may involve theater restrictions as well.  I'm not currently seeing a whole lot of F4U-1s and Hurricans in the MA because they are more difficult to survive in and I can only imagine the introduction of early Zekes, Wildcats, Warhawks, Buffaloes, Devastators and Dauntlases as being any real choice for a player if the plane set in the MA is left wide open.  And yes, I am a fan of early-war aircraft and so I do have concerns.  

For now, I would love to see a second offering of TOD and more special events.

Offline Nifty

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2001, 01:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by CRASH:
Wow...somebody finally gets it   :)  It's about having more options, not less. In some manifestations it would be neither about more or less as far as hardware is concerned, just a different style of play...a change of pace.

CRASH

An option is a choice.  You're not suggesting a choice, you're suggesting a different format for the MA, albeit just for a day or two.  So my options on your day are to fly your version of the MA or not fly at all.  There isn't a new option in your suggestion, you're just replacing the current MA option with your own.  That's what just about everyone here is against.  Modify the CT to fit what you're suggesting and have that as an option, and the MA will still be the MA as an option.
proud member of the 332nd Flying Mongrels, noses in the wind since 1997.