Author Topic: Get rid of .dt commands  (Read 2450 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Get rid of .dt commands
« on: July 23, 2014, 02:20:12 PM »
They are gamey. That is all.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
Re: Get rid of .dt commands
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:25 PM »
Sacriledge, gamey things in a game, the horror>  -1
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »
I'm not fond of them either although I don't feel too strongly about it, I'd give this a +1.

Consider this scenario.  One side has a a major object down at a field.  A player can time to the second when to begin his attack run on the hangar/ord/whatever just by spamming a .dt command.  It makes it easier for the attackers to keep the defenders objects down with smaller/virtually no window for stuff to sneak out whereas if there were no .dt commands, the enemy would have to see it to know it needs to be dropped.

If there were no .dt commands, they could be using a stopwatch, and some do.  That would require a level of commitment and presence over the area from the start, as opposed to flying to a base and using your MFD to determine and prioritize which targets are going to be available when you get there.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 04:57:08 PM »
I never got the purpose for this. We have such a reputation for the fog of battle as our randomizer agent. Then boingggg, we get a precision timer for buff and jabo pilots to eternally crap on base defenders. I've been part of the M3 slobs who resupplied endlessly to get ords up just to have a buff box pass over 30 seconds later. Or the energizer bunny conga line of radar and VH hanger porkers who show up 30 seconds after either pops up.

This is kind of schizophrenic to the stated goal of this game, to promote combat.

The {dt} command promotes combat avoidance.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 05:04:06 PM »
Ya know, if they are using it to time when to hit it as soon as possible, you could use it to know when they were going to time their attack and.......................... .....
Wag more, bark less.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 05:07:19 PM »
if only they could make the dt commands for your on country.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 07:36:20 PM »
if only they could make the dt commands for your on country.

^^^ this ^^^^

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 08:00:53 PM »
Ya know, if they are using it to time when to hit it as soon as possible, you could use it to know when they were going to time their attack and.......................... .....

If you're in position, yup.  Hadn't thought of that I usually am just in a 'kill everything red over the base' frame of mind.  Still, it lets the attackers be surgical and you know as well as I do a jabocide requires a fair bit to go right for the defender to stop him.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline CASHEW

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 09:15:37 PM »
+1
Peanut1 in game.

Offline DarkHawk

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 10:36:17 AM »
How about we modify the request and only display friendly fields and not enemy fields.
Before we had the ability of displaying down time, we had to set a timer to determine when
a hanger would pop.

DHawk
49DHawk
XO for BOWL (DHawk)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 10:54:53 AM »
If you're in position, yup.  Hadn't thought of that I usually am just in a 'kill everything red over the base' frame of mind.  Still, it lets the attackers be surgical and you know as well as I do a jabocide requires a fair bit to go right for the defender to stop him.

Wiley.

That's a fact Jack!  But killing one 2 seconds before he drops is giggley fun.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »
Let's just say I was very much surprised at the introduction of .dt that it was working on enemy objects...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 12:53:59 PM »
Let's just say I was very much surprised at the introduction of .dt that it was working on enemy objects...

No kidding.  This almost seems like bad coding that was never fixed. Frankly I think HTC should have addressed this two ways:

1) make .dt results available ONLY for friendly fields
2) introduce some randomness into the refresh time for objects that are destroyed. (Say +/- 20%)

That way friendly forces would know exactly when assets were available, but the enemy would have only a rough idea. Seems far more realistic.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 01:05:52 PM »
No kidding.  This almost seems like bad coding that was never fixed. Frankly I think HTC should have addressed this two ways:

2) introduce some randomness into the refresh time for objects that are destroyed. (Say +/- 20%)

That way friendly forces would know exactly when assets were available, but the enemy would have only a rough idea. Seems far more realistic.

That's a nice idea.  I'd vote for it.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 01:10:39 PM »

You know making since around here can get you shot right Cthulhu?   +1 :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!