Author Topic: Horrible Shot  (Read 6123 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Horrible Shot
« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2014, 07:10:27 PM »
I did not "whizz" on you or anyone else. I simply looked up which advice-givers on this thread have the best track record of actually hitting their target for my own edification, and then shared that info. Your fierce reaction implies some sort of personal problem which I am not obligated to deal with.

For the record, I am a mediocre shot always looking for ways to improve that aspect of my game. I can say with confidence that perhaps the majority of my missed shots are *not* caused by an inability to calculate proper lead, but are related to other difficulties.

BnZ you win this ecclesiastical whizzing match. You asked everyone to ignore participants input based on Hit% after looking up their stats I will venture. The 100mph principle does not change regardless. But, this is a personality contest setup by yourself to engender your exclusive views and eliminate others you don't approve of. And yes I fly with Morfiend a lot in the TA.

You are still attempting to shoot the messenger. So if you need to be the big cheese on ACM and support topics in the forum. All Hail the Big Cheeze, may he melt well in the brilliance of his own imagination! Oh lord we is not worthy to bask in his brilliance!

There, feel better now that your are adulated for your obvious what ever it is that's supposed to be obvious......
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 07:42:54 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2014, 12:56:18 AM »
you have to click on the axis you want to adjust. Select the controller in the drop down box top right. In the window you'll have the axises x y and z for your stick. click on one and then click the "advance" button. This will swing out another page with the sliders and the blue boxes that show stick input as compared to game input.
found it..just don't know what to do with it lol afraid to screw it up..
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2014, 02:09:26 AM »
Uncheck "enable scaling" and put the deadband and damping sliders at the bottom. If you don't like the result you can easily put everything back.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2014, 02:25:34 AM »
Uncheck "enable scaling" and put the deadband and damping sliders at the bottom. If you don't like the result you can easily put everything back.
thank you sir
"scott66"        

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2014, 03:02:39 AM »
Got it..thanks buds..had to re input my analog axis accidentally deleted..but brought both bars down to bottom and unchecked combat trim..to tired to check how it feels flying :salute
"scott66"        

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #65 on: July 31, 2014, 05:22:59 AM »
If auto pilot mode won't stay on add a little deadband until it does. Set your roll axis the same as the pitch axis. You may want to keep your rudder scaled with some deadband but 0 damping.

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: July 31, 2014, 09:32:11 AM »
If auto pilot mode won't stay on add a little deadband until it does. Set your roll axis the same as the pitch axis. You may want to keep your rudder scaled with some deadband but 0 damping.
thank you sir..You and fugi have been a great help
"scott66"        

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2014, 11:32:42 AM »
Not that I'm BnZ, but I found a lot of inaccurate statements in your reply.

I suppose I could go back to flying a poni or take up the D9 and run around picking and HOing and running away from everyone through furballs if that's all you need BnZ. Yes it would increase my hit% dramatically.

Shooting during high speed passes is, overall, harder than shooting while flying at lower speeds (unless you only hunt bombers). You have much less of a timeframe to correct shots and the closure rates are typically much, much higher, allowing less time to set up a shot and aim accurately.

I just is not interested in measuring my cartoon game manhood that way like some are fixated on. Neither does that negate Hitech's physics or that he programed his physics for gunnery so that the 100mph principle works in the game as it did in WW2. Internet willing.

I don't think BnZ or anyone else challenged the physics of the game. On the contrary, the physics of the game are what make gunnery repeatable and predictable. That being said, you seem to approach it with a level of technicality that is somewhat unnecessary and inefficient.

Pilots in WWII used the training methods you outlined for numerous reasons, the primary being that they had few, if any, effective ways of improving their gunnery against dynamic targets without fighting them firsthand. Therefore, they dissected the mechanics of shooting and memorized them, and trained and trained and trained for the real thing until it happened. And even then, most of them were poor shots.

In this game, you don't have to use the 100mph principle - you can simply learn to guesstimate distance and lead correctly. There's no need for ad naseum discussions of physics when you can simply jump in a plane and practice first hand in the TA. Is there some value in the 100mph rule? Sure, but it's impractical in the majority of shooting scenarios.

"Aerial gunnery is 90 percent instinct and 10 percent aim."
— Captain Frederick C. Libby, RFC.

Ever wondered how Messiah lands so many kills regularly? He was one of my testers for 8 generations of ACM gunsights while I was developing them. He's used them so long that now, I think he doesn't even use a gunsight from the last time we talked about it. I think semp still uses a Gen1 or Gen3 but, he never takes his scoring off attack for his poni and pretty much only flys that these days.

What does Messiah or Semp have to do with anything? I don't think I've seen a backwards argument such as this in a long time. You're taking credit for other players' success (or lack of it) and then implying that it's primarily because of your gunsights. Not only is your statement highly presumptuous, it's logically flawed. Correlation does not imply causation. If your gunsights are so good, why don't you use your own statistics as a testament to their effectiveness?

And further, how is the ability to not to use gunsights relevant? If anything, it only proves that shooting is primarily instinct, not strict science., I don't my use gunsight for probably 20% of my kills (example: click). Does it have anything to do with the gunsights I use? Nope - it's simply understanding angles and trajectories. See the quote by Cpt. Frederick above.

I'm sorry BnZ that you don't like the messenger. Elitism won't trump the physics no matter how long you hold your fingers in your ears.

Yet again, no one questioned physics. In fact, I'm not even sure why you keep stating that - perhaps you wish that was true? The only thing here that I saw that remotely challenged in your posts was your method of teaching someone to shoot.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 01:34:55 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2014, 02:48:23 PM »
thank you sir..You and fugi have been a great help

You're welcome.

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2014, 02:55:42 PM »
Edit: Ooops - wrong thread!
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-6

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2014, 03:50:16 PM »
If we are comparing hit % for level of expertise then I'd be curious as to whether Latrobe uses scaling.

But I don't know about the hit % metric as a measure of great shooting.  It could just as easily be a measure of great flying instead.  One excellent "always top 50 fighter score" pilot with a high hit % gave me several lessons last year.  He said he was a terrible shot so he tried to outfly his opponent and only shot within 200 yards or so.  He had a great hit % at the time (haven't looked recently).  So his tip for better shooting was to only shoot close in, something that doesn't show in the metric.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 03:52:47 PM by Kodiak »

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2014, 04:02:55 PM »
If we are comparing hit % for level of expertise then I'd be curious as to whether Latrobe uses scaling.

But I don't know about the hit % metric as a measure of great shooting.  It could just as easily be a measure of great flying instead.  One excellent "always top 50 fighter score" pilot with a high hit % gave me several lessons last year.  He said he was a terrible shot so he tried to outfly his opponent and only shot within 200 yards or so.  He had a great hit % at the time (haven't looked recently).  So his tip for better shooting was to only shoot close in, something that doesn't show in the metric.

I occasionally do use scaling but only on my rudder pedals. No scaling on my stick. I say 'occasionally' because the game seems to have a bad habit of turning scaling off for some reason. So most the time I'm flying with no scaling on my pedals as well which is fine because I only scale the very small inputs and only a small amount. I might as well not be using scaling at all.  :)

I also do as what that guy told you. I set my convergence to 300 yards and I only shoot when I'm in very close. The only reason I pull the trigger past 300 yards is because I want to land a few hits and try to scare them into turning so I can get closer.  :D

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »
I occasionally do use scaling but only on my rudder pedals. No scaling on my stick. I say 'occasionally' because the game seems to have a bad habit of turning scaling off for some reason. So most the time I'm flying with no scaling on my pedals as well which is fine because I only scale the very small inputs and only a small amount. I might as well not be using scaling at all.  :)

I also do as what that guy told you. I set my convergence to 300 yards and I only shoot when I'm in very close. The only reason I pull the trigger past 300 yards is because I want to land a few hits and try to scare them into turning so I can get closer.  :D
the secret is out:)
"scott66"        

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »
I think I screwed something up..my tank gun turret won't stay still and center itself..I put all the settings back and even clicked on default settings I calibrated the joystick and the axis.but the turret just slowly moves left or right on its own...any ideas?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 01:48:40 AM by scott66 »
"scott66"        

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #74 on: August 03, 2014, 08:32:05 AM »
I think I screwed something up..my tank gun turret won't stay still and center itself..I put all the settings back and even clicked on default settings I calibrated the joystick and the axis.but the turret just slowly moves left or right on its own...any ideas?

If you have trim wheel s like on a CH stick you my have knocked those off center. If not then you need to add a bit of dead band to compensate for the stick not being able to "center" any more. A sure sign your stick is getting worn.