Author Topic: Combat Trim and Shooting  (Read 753 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Combat Trim and Shooting
« on: July 28, 2014, 09:35:03 AM »
So I'm trying to make a practice of shutting my combat trim off in dogfighting, for greater stability in shooting, an area that always needs improvement. Is this a worthwhile exercise, or am I better off with the CT?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
Re: Combat Trim and Shooting
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 10:38:37 AM »
I always kept CT on. I hate trimming my plane, have to spend more time messing with it than even looking where I'm going. And then if speed or throttle changes, have to trim all over again. In combat is a little different, you're supposed to be fighting and leave trim alone, just use stick and throttle, but I just don't like my neutral position constantly changing on me. Maybe if I had a force feedback stick I'd squawk something different, but I don't, and I don't want one neither.

Bottom line, both options need practice to get used to, but I prefer to use CT in combat because the needed stick deflection will be the same every time as opposed to entering a fight at whatever the trim happens to be set at.
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »
On till I hit 200 in a dog fight esp. in "flaps use heavy" fighters (F4U, F6F etc).  Flaps out, nose up and slowing CT is a real pain...  It really helps nose bounce in some rides.

on edit:  More discussion here
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,363363.0.html
and here
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,361024.0.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:13:43 PM by Scca »
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 03:10:04 PM »
If you scale your stick you want to be at your trim speed. CT can help with that.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:49:35 PM »
If you scale your stick you want to be at your trim speed. CT can help with that.
How does stick scale effect CT?  Apples and oranges from what I understand

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 04:49:52 PM »
I go with CT off all of the time.  In terms of shooting CT on or off is not a significant impact on my shooting as compared to all other aspect of making a shoot.  However, CT off does help get a good, solid line on heavy fighter bomb runs but again it is not a deal breaker to turn CT on.

CT off is better for me but I sure have no strong argument to support that.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:20:32 PM »
How does stick scale effect CT?  Apples and oranges from what I understand

CT keeps you trimmed to your speed. This keeps your stick centered.  Stick centered or near center, depending on scaling curve, is where you get the most benefit from scaling.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
CT keeps you trimmed to your speed. This keeps your stick centered.  Stick centered or near center, depending on scaling curve, is where you get the most benefit from scaling.
Scaling is the ratio of stick input to control surface reaction. At stick center, scaling has zero effect, zero. CT changes control surface deflection based on speed so there is no stick input needed at that speed to keep plane level in pitch and yaw.

Apples/oranges.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 06:07:43 PM »
CT is a complicated issue in this game for it's efficacy.

For the P51D, CT off, slightly nose down trim makes using the flaps and shooting possible. The spit14 at 25-30k you need CT on to manage the beast. I have to use it for the 51D and P47 at those alts. Then diving so you don't lawn dart in a number of rides if you know you will be passing above 400 you need to turn it off.

Some rides at very slow speeds you need it off to mange the ride enough to even think about shooting.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 06:23:32 PM »
Scaling is the ratio of stick input to control surface reaction. At stick center, scaling has zero effect, zero. CT changes control surface deflection based on speed so there is no stick input needed at that speed to keep plane level in pitch and yaw.

Apples/oranges.

Of course it doesn't affect the stationary stick.  We're talking about moving the stick to aim for gunnery. In fact if you're shooting while turning you can benefit more from scaling by trimming nose up since the stick will be closer to center.