Author Topic: Bombsight calibration accuracy - involve the human  (Read 11373 times)

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Re: Bombsight calibration accuracy - involve the human
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2014, 12:48:50 PM »
The only approaches even moderately safe from defensive gunnery seem to be either as straight down as practical, or head-on.

you should try from the high 11 or 1 oclock (and not a collision course).. even someone like 999000 will have trouble hitting you.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2014, 02:52:03 PM »
you should try from the high 11 or 1 oclock (and not a collision course).. even someone like 999000 will have trouble hitting you.
My favorite is the chin attack - from near 12 oclock low, pull up for a lead shot from below, taking the shot at 70-90 climb from short range as the bomber flashes infront. With something that has plenty of cannons and good front view (mosquito VI in my case ) it is a killer. there are very few guns that can point at you from that angle and aiming for the gunner is awkward. Also, both the closure speed and disengage speeds are very high since the speed of the bomber and the fighter add up. The down side is that you can only kill one bomber and then, unless you had lots of E to begin with, you have to chase the other two and position for another attack.

All these "how easy it is to kill a bomber" theories do not work as well in MA conditions. We are not talking about a bomber formation on the way to the strats in the middle of nowhere. This thread is about bombers attacking fields and in that case the fighter do not have all the time in the world to position for an effective attack. The ranges are short and he needs to down the bombers before they drop their bombs on the target. Enemy fighters often will make the attacker turn into them and prevent convenient positioning. In those cases the fighter must press an attack or not do it at all.

More over, consider the effect of two noobs in bombers against a veteran fighter vs. two noobs in fighters/jabos against the veteran. If they arrive in jabos or fighters, the veteran will likely dispatch them both with ease and continue to kill others. If they come in bombers, and lets say they are so clueless that they do not know they can man the guns, the vet will kill all 6 of their bombers and run out of ammo. So now the vet will land 6 kills and get an 'attaboy' but two noobs have removed him from the fight, just by making him expend all his ammo into helpless bombers. They have not shot him down, but they did send him back to the tower. Also, they kept him engaged for long minutes while he was positioning for ideal "safe" attacks - 6 times at least.

The bottom line is that inexperienced players are FAR more effective in bombers than in fighters/jabo. Generally, in shutting down fields, 5 players in 20k bombers are more effective than the same 5 players in 20k JABOs - and the absurd is that the level bombers will hit more accurately than the JABOs, without coming down into the climbing defenders and even while under attack from fighters that made it to 20k. This is what the original post was about - not survivability, I am fine with the 3 ship formations, it is about the laser precision high alt bombing. I am also fine with the ability to place a single 500 lb bomb into the open turret of a wirble/ostie from 10k - it is just that accuracy should deteriorate with alt.

Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #152 on: August 18, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »
I don't attack bombers unless I'm very bored. Here's my perspective. Why attack a bomber? It can't fight, it's not going to be much fun and it's likely you're going to get your plane messed up. And if he wanted someone to attack him in the first place he would be in a fighter, he wants to bomb. With that in mind, attacking a bomber kind of makes me feel like a griefer.

As far as tactics. Even 303s can dispatch a buff without much fuss if you aim at the right spot, the medulla oblongata.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWcN4I1aDKo&list=UUbNGo6f6ffP8YvqjXc1IEgQ
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: August 18, 2014, 05:49:28 PM »
I've never understood attacking bombers after their ord is out. It's not like we kill the bomber and that player is permanently out of the game forever. In ww2 that was the purpose of killing bombers on the outbound leg to home. Kind of makes the complaints about bomb and bail silly. He's accomplished his mission and hurt your country. After that it's just your hurt ego if he bails to get another load of bombs.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #154 on: August 18, 2014, 06:29:25 PM »
I've never understood attacking bombers after their ord is out. It's not like we kill the bomber and that player is permanently out of the game forever. In ww2 that was the purpose of killing bombers on the outbound leg to home. Kind of makes the complaints about bomb and bail silly. He's accomplished his mission and hurt your country. After that it's just your hurt ego if he bails to get another load of bombs.

Is there any difference in what you say and letting a guy go in a fighter because he decides to run home?  He's not a threat any more after all.

No, that's not the way it works.  If your flying and you are the enemy, I will shoot you down.  Bailing from a bomber is just lame gameplay, nothing else.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #155 on: August 18, 2014, 07:06:13 PM »
I've never understood attacking bombers after their ord is out.

it's fun
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #156 on: August 18, 2014, 07:25:14 PM »
It depends on why one plays the game.  Some folks might play for points; some might play for winning a map; some might play for WWII-inspired action; some might play for a mix of those things.  If you play only for winning a map, there is no point attacking bombers.  If you play for the other things, then there is.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2014, 12:16:48 PM »

This would seem to combine an element the short time to fire and wide separation after the pass problem of the HO approach with the terra firma difficulties that can be encountered if the buffs are NOE.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #158 on: August 19, 2014, 01:07:06 PM »
This would seem to combine an element the short time to fire and wide separation after the pass problem of the HO approach with the terra firma difficulties that can be encountered if the buffs are NOE.

noe buffs are rare

but yes you are ending up with snapshots basically so you good aim and timing
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #159 on: August 19, 2014, 05:25:05 PM »

I very much enjoy gunning in da buffs, may not be 999000, but a few have felt my perk stealing wrath.... If I get a chance at gunning after the drop, bring it on!  To me, refusing to attack bombers on the outbound, is like a fighter running to the ack to avoid a fight. And i dont' know how many times I've heard the moans and groans this brings... just because I don't have ords anymore, doesn't mean i'm done playing and can't be a threat. A good buff driver becomes an intelligence officer after the drop, reporting number of cons and alt. . . yeah i might be sent to the tower sooner, but I'm getting more out of my sub if i get to play rather than the boring trip home, I DO NOT bomb and bail.... I hate that too, means my guys don't get home!

Bombing accuracy is pretty tight, and may need to be tweeked... Still not sure what the best way to do that is... sorry HTC, i'm pondering the situation still... :salute
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #160 on: August 19, 2014, 06:05:13 PM »
noe buffs are rare

but yes you are ending up with snapshots basically so you good aim and timing

Actually I encounter very low B-26s, using speed and the proximity of the ground to try and force a six approach, quite often.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #161 on: August 19, 2014, 06:23:20 PM »
Suicidal buff riders are not uncommon unfortunately. A non-suicidal  heavy bomber need at least 5 min of climbing to go from Noe to above acks so they should not be a problem to take down before the target.

An attack from the front sector and in a slight turn towards the bombers is the best imo on Noe buffs. Gives u a good chance of landing some lethal damage and since u are flying across the bombers path when u pass them its not too hard to set up for another pass. A B-26 has only the top turret to use against such attack and its hard to get any substantial damage to the fighter on the short time he is within range.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #162 on: August 22, 2014, 03:09:25 AM »
best way of avoiding gunfire from a 12-oclock high fighter in a set of buffs, is to roll the lead plane. Drones warp, and you have a 50% of colliding with them if you persist your attack.

I see that on a regular basis.

I tries to make one guy stop to it, and was told "Its my $15"
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2014, 05:22:12 PM »
Haven't tried that but evasive maneuvers can be pretty effective on high altitudes when attacked from above. Especially if the attacker is a 163.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking