Author Topic: LOVE THE NEW MAP  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: LOVE THE NEW MAP
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2014, 10:41:48 AM »
I have never heard an argument against large maps that wasn't about trying to force arcade style fighting on all players.  

Show me one that ever did.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »
Was pushing for the map change around midnite last night.  Just could not keep my eyes open any longer....Bummed I missed it.  :(
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 11:12:35 AM »

Show me one that ever did.

Very often proponents of small maps (both existing and new) talk about player density and forcing fights through the use of choke points, etc.  Large maps allow for furballers, milk runners and lone wolf hunters to all play their game without the other play styles being forced on them in more dense environments.  I personally like the large maps for the open feel of the geography (just like the skies over Europe and the Pacific).

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2014, 11:18:06 AM »
Very often proponents of small maps (both existing and new) talk about player density

How is acknowledging reality suddenly all "arcade"? Do we only play "arcade" on 10 out of 13 maps in the rotation?
Why would someone like me who rarely "furballed" and to the most part played the high altitude strats game in the past 2 years suddenly call for "arcade"?

I personally like the large maps for the open feel of the geography (just like the skies over Europe and the Pacific).

So do I, and that's why I fought a long time for the return of the large maps years ago. But I also like to take part in battles, that's why I came here. Am I now an "arcade guy" because I realize the mapsize and player population don't match as well anymore as they did many years ago?

I have yet to see ONE guy asking for AH to go arcade with small maps. Porbably because anybody looking for arcade could already get it at WT.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 11:21:07 AM by Lusche »

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2014, 11:45:40 AM »
I just think that whether 200 or 400 players online the large maps offer better game play.  I wouldn't know what to say about helping game play with 25-50 online during non U.S. prime time...I feel for you guys.  Maybe set up the early or mid war arena rotating small maps only and the full plane set for the non-U.S. players?

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2014, 11:52:05 AM »
Very often proponents of small maps (both existing and new) talk about player density and forcing fights through the use of choke points, etc.  Large maps allow for furballers, milk runners and lone wolf hunters to all play their game without the other play styles being forced on them in more dense environments.  I personally like the large maps for the open feel of the geography (just like the skies over Europe and the Pacific).
So you want everyone to fly around and do nothing while trying to get to underpopulated and overstretched fights so that you can pretend that WWII was conducted solely at high altitudes and that there was never a combined, low altitude Aces High style slog fest?

High altitude fighting can occur no matter how dense the map is

Large maps are cool with 600+ online, like happened when Titanic Tuesday was first introduced, but beyond that--- yeesh

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »
I just think that whether 200 or 400 players online the large maps offer better game play.  I wouldn't know what to say about helping game play with 25-50 online during non U.S. prime time...I feel for you guys.  Maybe set up the early or mid war arena rotating small maps only and the full plane set for the non-U.S. players?

You are changing the subject. I wasn't discussing large maps vs small maps in this thread.
It's about dismissing everyone that has brought up arguments for small maps as being "arcade". Which is what you did. It's the same as I would say "I have never seen one argument for large maps that wasn't totally about avoiding any opposition",

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2014, 12:21:12 PM »
I think a lot of the "problem" is the number of bases and their distribution on the map, not particularly the size of the map. Once HTC publishes the updated terrain engine (and I assume an updated Terrain Editor to go along with it), I'll once again continue working on my 256x256 map for the Main Arenas.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Online scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2014, 12:47:39 PM »
but hate the tank town

personally im more of a gver lately..Love TT uncapturable v bases love it..the only thing I didn't like was it gave the rooks an airbase right in the middle ..however fester did make that capturable and so we did just that last night..which I'm sure has changed owners again..PT boat spawning right next to towns..awesome! New colors and clouds ..sweeeet! CVs with 3 3 cruisers...nice!! Getting my butt kicked at 75 PRICELESS! :aok :banana:
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 02:21:21 PM by scott66 »
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2014, 01:50:12 PM »
I dislike it because it seems none seems to notice  The sheer scale of the thing, we don't have 10000 players. With 280+ bases there is almost a base for every player on a good night . I liked the map before this one, it seemed appropriate in terms of scale.

People seem to be so desperate for new content that it seems they will take anything at this point, and that's sad.
Agreed 100%!
 If auto map reset would be reduced to 24 or 36 hours,I wouldn't mind large maps, but 7 days is too much, with this low #, no team is going to reset it; or  they should change the % of bases needed from 20 to 10% for this kind of XXXL maps.Until one of this settings is changed large maps are a BIG minus to quality gaming. This game was more fun 10- 12 years ago on H2H, with 8 players and small maps,2 or 4 bases.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2014, 01:52:46 PM »
Fester is awesome

What new map?.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2014, 02:22:43 PM »
This game was more fun 10- 12 years ago on H2H, with 8 players and small maps,2 or 4 bases.

You still have this option available.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
i love the wide open spawn at 154
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 03:26:17 PM »
It's a neat new map!! I would only suggest another object in TT than a field and town , maybe an old strat of some type, even make it capturable if you want but it must be open more for GV play and it needs spawns into it!
as it is, it will set empty I imagine!   
 I do like the rest of it very much tho!
 we;ve needed some new maps for a while in my opinion, something to do besides roll the same old stuff over and over!

Thanks Fester!!! :aok
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »

ME 163's at every base? What were you thinking Feaster!  :furious
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.