Author Topic: New Titantic Tuesday  (Read 883 times)

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
New Titantic Tuesday
« on: August 05, 2014, 05:53:52 PM »
Titantic Tuesday but in the AVA with Main Arena settings.

1. Smaller maps that would be better at least one day a week for off hours action.

2. Two sided war instead of 3 to revisit the idea of just two sides to see how it would work.

3. One day a week with much more likely match ups.  No P51 on P51 fights, etc.

4. This would mean no Main Arena access for one day.

5. 1 hour side switch limitations.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 06:02:00 PM by Zoney »
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: New Titantic Tuesday
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 06:03:44 PM »

1. Smaller maps that would be better at least one day a week for off hours action.

2. Two sided war instead of 3 to revisit the idea of just two sides to see how it would work.

3. One day a week with much more likely match ups.  No P51 on P51 fights, etc.

Not sure how many would take that...

I would be willing to try it out.  HTC could have a pop-up (like the alt-f4 or arena message) when you get to the server list notifying of the change. Saying it's just for one day, if you like it click this button if you don't click this one.  Then they can show the end results after the testing period is over. Then whenever this 2 sided discussion or anything else that they tested, comes up again, they can simply show that as a badge of proof that it was or wasn't liked.

2 birds with one stone in my opinion, some who have been requesting it get something to try out,  and HTC gets one of the most frequently asked questions (among some others) off the table, with some evidence to back them up.  :aok

+1
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 06:11:29 PM »
Maybe 3 birds with one stone, you get to test the 1 hour side switch requests.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »

Ohh, that too !  :D
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 06:43:42 PM »

If people wanted to play in the ava they would go there now.  force them to go there and it will be like the night thingy.  they will just log off.  btw the ava has no time switch limits now.  you can test that :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 09:27:29 PM »
 :aok  Titanic Tuesday still effects the numbers even now.  A lot of squads made Tuesday their squad night, since it was the only night that they were sure not to be split between two arenas.  Because of that Tuesday night numbers usually still see that bump.

+ 1  Experiment, no one could blame you for this.....  :uhoh unless it is their squad night  :huh  Of course, no matter what day you chose, it would be some squad's night or some event's conflict.  Don't mess wid ma Monday night football though  ;)

I still say, this is a good thing and just like beta for any design, the best way to work bugs out of the system is to see where they like to pop their antenna up.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 12:27:58 AM by Chilli »

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 09:54:09 PM »
The idea of Titanic Tuesday was big player counts in one arena.  Limited plane choices would likely have the opposite effect.  I sorta like ava style plane sets if there are numbers in the arena and it certainly wouldn't limit me logging in, but I I've been told that the limited plane sets are turn-off for many.
AMAX  in game

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 11:02:19 PM »
Hmmmm I remember a poster getting beat down for a similar suggestion a few years back. Bet he won't venture an opinion this time LOL

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,279609.0.html

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2014, 01:35:21 AM »
 :eek:  Jimson, I read almost all the posts from 2009 link.  What became apparent is that HT got a real bad taste in his mouth once.  We all know, how that effects the rest of your senses.  You don't even want to look at the thing that gave you that taste.  If you smell the thing that gave you that taste, it gives you a bad feeling in other places than just taste buds.

After that read, I am sorry Zoney, but an entire day might be more than the game can tolerate (even though I like the idea of 2 sides and axis fighting allies and even made a similar proposal, but just for off hours game play

My feeling was that with smaller numbers during off hours, the type of game play that works during prime time, has given some of us a bad taste when the population can't afford to spend much time dealing with resupply (non fighting) type activities. 

I also feel that it would be a good time to relax some other limitations, as well as, rewards (perks, score, rank, etc.) to invite old an new alike to take interest in enjoying the flight models provided for reasons beyond Top Gun bragging rights.

I do feel that off hours would see a significant bump if something like this was properly announced.  A great big, "THIS IS NOT YOUR REGULAR MAIN ARENA" flag plus Arena Message of the Day, explaining how and why settings differed and when to expect them to return to their regular settings.

So, I am not suggesting anything that looks, smells and definitely does not taste like the Axis and Allies "forced" game change of old....... let me add..... doesn't even SOUND like the same thing.

The largest difference is that the population during off hours is generally made up of folks who have a schedule that does not allow them to participate in FSO or other Scenario events (Aussies and European time zone folks included).  This could be their opportunity to grab a taste of the thing that maintains subscription of those very players as well as attracting newer players for THE INTERNATIONAL TIME ZONE that needs it mostly.

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »
Nowadays I don't think I favor forcing anyone into an axis vs allies setup.

For me, I hope that once the new terrain engine is up that the mission system can be repaired so I can be involved in an effort to have an Axis vs Allies co-op mission arena to give off hour players a mega immersive historical scenario game play option like an expansion of what is currently running in the playroom arena.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2014, 01:39:29 PM »
This years usage (K+D) distribution so far:

Fighters - 66% Allied, 34% Axis
Bombers - 87 % Allied, 13% Axis (and there is a terrible lot of 'D' and very little 'K' in the Axis numbers)
Vehicles - 40% Allied, 60% Axis

Not only all the popular bombers are Allied, but almost all popular (because capable) strike aircraft as well.

How do you think the players will migrate in a free for all, no rules AvA setup in the main arena?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:02:53 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2014, 01:59:10 PM »

3. One day a week with much more likely match ups.  No P51 on P51 fights, etc.

1. Meh.  People will find a way to avoid combat no matter what.  It couldn't hurt.

2. Like Bruv in the other thread, and the Snail's comment above, I welcome our horrifically side imbalanced Allied overlords.  The Allied ability to pound ground is just too much higher.  It would be all massive Allied swarm base taking all day.

3. See #2.

4. Dear lord yes.

At least there'd always be a red horde to fly into if you were flying Axis, so that's a plus.  It would also give the base rollers their desired co-op gameplay against buildings without significant resistance.  It might be popular.

Chances of it happening are roughly the same as my computer desk getting hit by a meteor with natural markings on the side that happen to be the winning lottery numbers for this week though.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2014, 02:04:51 PM »

3. One day a week with much more likely match ups.  No P51 on P51 fights, etc.

Leave the AvA alone squaddie, or else!
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2014, 02:05:46 PM »
How do you think the players will migrate in a free for all, no rules AvA setup in the main arena?

The AvA people actually have some experience with this.

There will always be a group of dedicated people who don't want to fly on the Allied side, simply because they prefer to fly for the low-number side.  Over time, they become very good - very good - in the Axis rides.  Whatever else you may say about them, the JG54 people were talented Axis flyers, later followed by JG11 and others.  Propnut, memorably, was a nemesis in his Peggy.  And we have lots of excellent Frank and Tony drivers even now.

That said, an AvA MA would lose a lot of people who don't want to be part of the horde but still want to fly their favorite plane, whenever they want to fly it.  It's just not a wise idea, and I don't think HTC has ever seriously considered it.

- oldman

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2014, 02:38:48 PM »

Leave the AvA alone squaddie, or else!

Heard that mate, I'm out, crappy idea.  Horrible idea.
Wag more, bark less.