Author Topic: so I want to fly the TA 152  (Read 3349 times)

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
Re: so I want to fly the TA 152
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 09:39:55 AM »
I am by no means an expert but as of recent ive been playing with the 152 and I love it. I will not consider engaging a plane, unless I'm forced or board, in it until I have the alt, preferably over 20k. Although it will get up in the clouds and go ive found that it has a liking for the ground, meaning it tends to fly that way. Keep it fast, keep it high. I rarely ever go inverted in it because, in my opinion, it seems to "fall out" and become slower.

I saw up above here where you posted you enjoy learning the different airframes and how they perform. I too enjoy doing the same and its one of the key aspects that make this game so enjoyable.

Good luck with them all!
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 10:30:44 AM »
When you are on the ground holding the stick back locks the tail wheel.
Does the game modeling physically lock the tail wheel with the stick back so it doesn't swivel on the ground?

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 10:44:32 AM »
Does the game modeling physically lock the tail wheel with the stick back so it doesn't swivel on the ground?

That's been my question all along. Like in DCS? :headscratch:

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2014, 10:56:46 AM »
Be advised sir.

The tail will "slide" out from underneath you during turn fighting if you are not careful. To recover from it I have found it is the same as in the Ki84... I turn my engine off and nose down once in a recovery position I turn my engine back on quickly.

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2014, 10:58:46 AM »
I think it when turning hard in a flat turn and then suddenly pitch up... The wings "blanket" the tail.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 10:59:21 AM »
The problem of "stalling backwards" before landing and locking the tail wheel with the stick back are a bit contradictory and confusing.  Maybe there is some improper terminology in use.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2014, 11:02:44 AM »
I think it when turning hard in a flat turn and then suddenly pitch up... The wings "blanket" the tail.
It's more likely that there is a stall with out of coordinated controls resulting in a spin entry.

Be advised sir.

To recover from it I have found it is the same as in the Ki84... I turn my engine off and nose down once in a recovery position I turn my engine back on quickly.

Have you tried just pulling power to idle and using proper flight control input to recover?  Shutting the engine down isn't an acceptable recovery option (real world) because there's a very real possibility of it not restarting.  Of course, we don't have that issue in game.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 11:09:16 AM by Puma44 »

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2014, 11:04:34 AM »
Naw Puma... I was not talking about the "locking of tail wheel on or during landing"

I was referring to "during combat"

On landing the reason for the back pressure is to apply more force to the tail wheels. Which is what you guys are currently asking about.

As far as I know I have never heard of a "wheel lock" in the controls of aces high.

:salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2014, 11:09:46 AM »

From what I feel, yes the wheel is locked so it doesn't swivel freely as long as you hold back pressure on the stick. I drive each the hog around with ease like that.

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »
Ive noticed that the 152 is pretty squirrely on the ground, more so than others, regardless of any control surface inputs. When I'm landing it I have to slip it in and hit one wheel first. Its a booger to land right now for me.
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline deadstikmac

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2014, 12:06:59 PM »
Have you tried just pulling power to idle and using proper flight control input to recover?

Yes sir when alt allows  :pray

I for some reason never went over 15k when I did fly the 152 and also like to stall fight on the deck no matter what I am in. :bhead

So at 5k and in a nasty backwards falling stall, is when I find this happening.

:salute

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2014, 12:40:20 PM »

Not sure what you mean by "physically" but when your stick is fully back your tail wheel is locked not swiveling. The tail wheel is also modeled with more friction perpendicular with direction than it has in real life to make takes offs and landings easier. You can see this as increased braking when you land and wiggle the tail wheel on the ground.

Be advised sir.

The tail will "slide" out from underneath you during turn fighting if you are not careful. To recover from it I have found it is the same as in the Ki84... I turn my engine off and nose down once in a recovery position I turn my engine back on quickly.

The tail seems to slide because the rising wing in a roll has more drag and this is more noticeable with the longer wings. This is called adverse yaw. You need to coordinate with rudder as Puma mentioned to correct it.

Offline Warmongo

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 02:25:23 PM »
The problem of "stalling backwards" before landing and locking the tail wheel with the stick back are a bit contradictory and confusing.  Maybe there is some improper terminology in use.

Yes, improper terminology, my bad. What I "see" (meaning is all subjective) is when flying too slow for landing and still with wings level, the tails drops and stall happens. It "feels" like flying backwards. Does that make sense? Too low to recover, then crash.

I just come in faster now.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2014, 03:31:53 PM »
Not sure what you mean by "physically" but when your stick is fully back your tail wheel is locked not swiveling. The tail wheel is also modeled with more friction perpendicular with direction than it has in real life to make takes offs and landings easier. You can see this as increased braking when you land and wiggle the tail wheel on the ground.

Heh...I remember one night in the WWI arena, Hitech turned on low-altitude crosswinds. I know what to expect from those flying weather-vanes, so I wasn't unduly shocked myself.  :D
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2014, 03:35:25 PM »
The 152 is great for working on improving your aim IMO.  It doesn't have so much nose bounce, but nose "float".  You have to really focus at certain airspeeds, trim settings, and attitudes to keep the dot on target.  When you do connect it's usually a kill, or at least major damage vs fighters.