Author Topic: Can of worms  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
Can of worms
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:51:55 PM »
Might be opening a can of worms here but for anyone that wants to install it in their 110, here is the Air to Air rocket sight I made a few years back up until now I've only given it to people i trusted not to use it to kill ME lol. Use it or don't use it, its up to you. but here it is anyway... its very basic but it gets the job done nicely  :aok

Here is how to use it..

Instructions for use of the Air to Air rocket sight
When you load a 110 with this air to air rocket sight your initial target view will look like this…                                                                                                                                                     

For this sight to be effective you need to use page up to raise your seat position so your target looks like this…

The reason for this is when you close on your target it is essential you can see the range on the target, as range is the most important part of a successful hit. As you approach your target you must be co-alt, level, and directly on his 6 o’clock. While in this example it is a salvo 1 rocket and as you will see can be done, for best results salvo 2 it, at least until you get the hang of it.

Try to have the sight lined up when you are still  2K out and closing for best results… at 1.5 get ready to shoot and pay close attention to the distance, in this pic I am 1.5k out and just waiting for the icon to change to 1K.
Make sure you are ready and watching the icon range, and AS SOON as the icon flicks down to 1k… fire!

Around 3.5 seconds later you will see this

Which will be very closely followed by this

Takes just a little practice but very effective.

Some may like this some may not, some will find this useful, some will not.. some may flame me if that's their thing but heck no one is forcing anyone to use it, I'm just throwing it out there.. Have fun with it or don't use it, its up to you.

<S> Beer  :cheers:

Your tears feed me 😃

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
Re: Can of worms
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:55:05 PM »
will this sight work with 410 I was up for a while tonight used the same range to shoot rocklets at buffs 2.5 out but no hits I like that site you use for the 110 just wondering if it would work also for 410
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
will this sight work with 410 I was up for a while tonight used the same range to shoot rocklets at buffs 2.5 out but no hits I like that site you use for the 110 just wondering if it would work also for 410

Not sure mate, I think i have flow the 410 twice ever... you could give it a go I guess?
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:57:49 PM »
i will test it out again when I am up again on limited fly schedule now but will let ya know when I am up and use the site for the 410

<S>
Molsman
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 01:04:11 AM »
not sure how it will go in a 410, but yeah give it a go and let me know mate
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:05:47 AM by Tracers »
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 02:44:02 AM »
Sweeeeeeeet!!
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 02:49:32 AM »
 :cheers:
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Tracers

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 04:37:49 AM »
The dot at the top speaks for itself... but for anyone wondering about the circle in the middle...

That's the egg dropping part of my sight  :devil

And here's the sight I use on my other attack planes (apart from the mossy)

That one is my air to ground rocket sight  :rock

« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 04:40:10 AM by Tracers »
Your tears feed me 😃

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 05:47:34 AM »
Awesome sights, I'm gonna try them out!
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2014, 08:00:23 AM »
   As a frequent Bomber Pilot......

:furious  :furious  :furious  :furious  :furious  :furious  :furious  :furious  :furious  :furious  :furious  :furious  :furious

:noid
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Cremator

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2014, 08:20:52 AM »
As a bomber hunter   :rock

Off topic but whats this little icon doing?     :joystick:
Back after 15 years. <S> Everyone. Cremator08@gmail.com. (Cremator in real life)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 09:34:27 AM »
I honestly think HTC should require reticles to be approved like skins. Keep them historically accurate; there's enough gaming the game already.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 10:56:27 AM »
I honestly think HTC should require reticles to be approved like skins. Keep them historically accurate; there's enough gaming the game already.

In a way, I agree.

If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2014, 11:32:54 AM »

I disagree.

My uncle flew F100s active combat in Vietnam.

We discussed at great length how he marked up his plane to rocket and level bomb the enemy without a bomb sight from various altitudes.

He also helped develop other special techniques for ordnance delivery through the air, including nuclear.

My uncle went to the bomb range and practiced to get it right. He also shared his data with other pilots so they could do the same.

This, in essence, is very similar to what is being described here.
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 06:22:32 PM »

Then you would have to ban the AAF N9\L3 reticle with rocket aid which was developed for the 5in HVAR. The German Revi12C or Revi16 which the two lower ticks were used for rockets. The NAVY MK8 with 45 degree downward ray lines. And the PBP1.

Ultimately players in our game re-invent the wheel and discover the same two aim points. About 25Mil and 35Mil below the center of the reticle visa the offline dive bombing green cross. The OP probably wants point and click simplicity because of how small the viewing area is through the reflector plate. You trade off on air to air deflection judgement. Even though his rocket aid reticle is along the lines of the modified N9 rocket aid reticle insert used in the 1945 K-14A. The N9 rocket aid "V" shaped lines were the firing guides for 1000 to 400. The Germans used the space between the lower two ticks. The top of the Mk8 diagonal lines is the 400yd aim point and the PBP1 3rd tick down from center.

The 1200m air to air rockets were aimed with the second tick below center from the Revi. Determining range was the real art. Your indicated speed and alt while firing the air to air rockets will effect when and where they detonate.

Where the OP has fallen short with his instructions, below 300IA at shallow dive angles, even at 400yds, the 5in HVAR will drop like a rock and hit short. The 5in rockets used by the AAF and RAF both need an attack run at 300-350. Or dive at a steep angle making the trajectory moot which evolved as S.O.P. by the end of the war for the allies. The Russian rockets in the Yak-7 are useless past 400yd with little concussive value. The OP at least identified that rockets shoot straight out from the wings so you need to favor the wing fired from. That becomes absolutely necessary in nailing tanks with the air to ground rockets. And keep in mid the F8 fires two from a wing before rockets fire from the opposite wing.

Even in WW2 pilots wanted some kind of point and click aiming aid. Even the K14 family had an offspring with a tilt able reflector plate to aid with rockets and bombs. It arrived very late in WW2 but, used in Korea.

The only reason I spent 3 years researching and creating all of the common reticle used in WW2, was HTC didn't bother to. And you see how explaining the use of them puts players to sleep. If you want to force players to use only Historically accurate reticle. Then HTC would have to take away the gunsight app in the hanger, and default the correct reticle to each plane when it's released. Written instructions to remember a,b,c at x,y,z would make the game as painful as programming a 1980's VHS player. All most consumers wanted to do back then was push a button and everything work. The majority had no interest in learning rocket science just to have a few hours of fun.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.