Author Topic: X55 Rhino  (Read 1963 times)

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
X55 Rhino
« on: August 18, 2014, 10:39:54 PM »
Just got my Rhino today and from what I can say is WOW!!!! I had the Thrustmaster Cougar with the Magnet mod and that was nice but this Rhino has way more buttons and switches than I can comprehend. I still am unable to get the software but that is OK with me.. Has anyone else had any problems getting tghe43 software??

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: X55 Rhino
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 02:38:20 AM »
I just looked on their site, the downloads for both drivers and software are there and working now.

http://www.saitek.com/uk/down/drivers.php

Just select your x55 and your operating system, and follow the links. 

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
I downloaded the drivers and programming software without a hitch on Sunday.

My sticks should be here tomorrow. 

There is a VERY GOOD programming video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr9Oi1jc4wg.  You may want to use the AH stick mapping only (it's simpler) but if you feel creative, this video shows you the tips and tricks of it.

I bought the Rhino as a back-up. My CH set up is in need of some bench time and (maybe) 1 pan pot replacement.  And I'll admit to being curious about them.  I'm crossing my fingers that the first production run got all the bugs out.  From what I've read, you need to be real careful how you unbox because there's a possibility of having to RMA them day one.  I bought a three-year warranty.

Enjoy and don't be shy about reporting your experiences.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 06:15:07 PM »
Ok having it for a couple of days I can say its sexay as all heck... but there are a few things I don't like about it.. Give me a couple more days and I will have a good review about it then.

LAwnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 03:25:53 PM »
When I started looking at this HOTAS as a backup to a CH rig, I thought two things:
What am I going to do with all those rotaries?
Why am I willing to give up hats?

Frooglesim's video changed all that.

I've been programming in the dreaded SST all day.  After I learned the basics, I spent about four hours getting a somewhat complete key map program for Aces High done.  I've been flying it offline.

I tried to emulate the CH finger positions so I wouldn't have too much muscle memory to 'un-learn'.  Then I spent about an hour tuning things in the AH offline sandbox.

Jeepers.  It's a pretty good unit, despite my vow 8 years ago to never own another Saitek.  Call me fickle, if you want to.

I decided to build my own Aces High stick profile rather than use the normal mapping routine in the game.  I don't normally do this, but I'm glad I did.  Once done, I just loaded it up in the HUD/SST software, went to AH, and calibrated the snot out of everything.  Have the mapping blow out in the middle of a fight used to be risk...so the jury is still out on this one.  But I like it so far.

Two potential frustration points.

Make sure you follow the driver load instructions to the letter.  If you botch it, like me, you must COMPLETELY delete the drivers and their directory before attempting to reload.  My 'symptom' was an out-of-control throttle stick. It looked just like a bad pot... but after the driver reload it was right as rain.

Once you have the programming software up, go to the support page (last menu choice).  Look at the bottom of the page and you should see driver and software version numbers.  If you see "driver not loaded", then you might have 'botched it'.

Last, I remember Skuzzy talking about quantize in Aces High.  You can't set multiple key presses to 0 seconds, usually.  I had to go back and change a few of them to .25 or .50 to insure good communication between the stick button and the correct AH result.

Overall, I'm pleased.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 05:31:52 PM »
Its sounds poo if you you have to mess with drivers :old:

If a idiot like me cannot use the software out of the box why is it being sold :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 06:12:10 PM »
Its sounds poo if you you have to mess with drivers :old:

If a idiot like me cannot use the software out of the box why is it being sold :old:

I'll bet you a dollar I'm a bigger idiot than you are!  Ummm. Wait.  I meant...

:old:  too.
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 11:19:12 PM »
I use all the buttons and toggle switches.  you can never have enough of those.  the rotary I only use the 2 on the throttle base itself.  the lower one is for engine rpm and the other is for brakes.

the toggle switches the upper most is for auto pilot.  next one down is for open bombbay doors and for damage.  the next one down is for flaps up/down.  I had them on the stick but i kept pressing them while using wep.  the next toggle switch is to calibrate while in bomber.  the lower ones i use for things like landing gear, tail hook, things i dont normally use while flying.

the 2 buttones on the throttle were your fingers go  the left one is to toggle zoom in/zoom out  of course the double button is the actual zoom in/out and the right button is for talking on range.

the red button is for check six.  the two big knows with a push buttons I use them to pause/center trakir.  I have no other use for the 2 small 4 way switches or the "mouse" button.

on the stick.  the main trigger is to fire all.  pinky switch is for cannon only and the long switch in front of the pinky is to fire primary only.  the button on my thumb is for talking on squad chanel.  the red button on the upper side of the stick is to switch between rockets/ords/ammo.

rest is pretty much by preference.  this is mostly how I had my x52 set up.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 1Canukk

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 03:39:20 PM »
 Recieved mine this morning from Amazon.CA , Easy installation and used only the drivers , plugged them into a Powered USB Hub and used AH to set and configure the Controles . Ive replace my CH set up that were worn our after 5 years . So far no regreats and option on set up is endless .  :aok

JG11  Sonderstaffel , Geschwader Kommodore

The P51 D was made by the Gods for men to fly. 
 The FW190 D  was made by men, for Gods to fly .

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 03:43:16 PM »
I'll bet you a dollar I'm a bigger idiot than you are!  Ummm. Wait.  I meant...

:old:  too.

Its an outrage I have a certificate to prove otherwise :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 10:45:56 PM »
Its an outrage I have a certificate to prove otherwise :)
Can I pay the dollar with a check or must you have it in cash? 

:)
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG