Author Topic: Range Radio  (Read 997 times)

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
Range Radio
« on: November 29, 2014, 12:12:51 PM »
Is there a way to reduce the volume of the range radio?  Or squelch the range radio?

Sometimes radio silence is golden.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Re: Range Radio
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 12:20:33 PM »
Ratsy,

No way to squelch range sadly.

I do use the mute button on my keyboard frequently.  Helps me concentrate.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 12:32:30 PM »
Righto.  Thanks, Hap.

"Dear Santa,

Hap and I have been very good this year..."

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:15:30 AM »
+1 I too wish there was a way to do this.  

During Combat Challenge, the HTC method of queuing up vox transmissions led to several check 6's not being heard, sometimes till after I re-upped after getting killed.  Who hasn't heard 30 seconds of "way to go" after towering?

Of course, I did get to hear all about someones proctology exam while I was spinning to my death  :bhead
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 11:37:14 AM »
Just turn the "voice" volume all the way down and use a third-party voice program like Teamspeak or Ventrilo. Problem solved and the sound quality is much better.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 28-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 11:42:00 AM »
Just turn the "voice" volume all the way down and use a third-party voice program like Teamspeak or Ventrilo. Problem solved and the sound quality is much better.

Our squad uses teamspeak.  Can't say I noticed any improvement in sound quality over vox.  Not everyone has teamspeak so it is not a replacement for range.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 11:49:51 AM »
+bazillion to have separate volume sliders for tuned vox and range vox. Should be "easy" enough, since both use different controls/keys.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:56:19 AM »
One point that should be added.  The loud vox level coming from a single source is often unknown by the individual.  Suggest cutting back on the mic boost.

Another point is make sure your engine sound is turned down so you don't have to have the vox volume too high to beat out the engine sound.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 06:50:07 AM »
Stop it, you will get new terrain and like it. Management knows best. That is all. 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 10:41:41 AM »
I would love it if there was 2 range channels, one for air and one for ground....that you have to tune to to hear.  Cos Christ Alive those GVers chat away about all kindsa rubbish.

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 03:34:33 PM »
I would love it if there was 2 range channels, one for air and one for ground....that you have to tune to to hear.  Cos Christ Alive those GVers chat away about all kindsa rubbish.

I give this infinite +1's

In fact, I was planning to Wishlist this idea exactly.  When you fly over a GV area, you'll probably hear a check-six on vox 15 seconds after you've been shot at.  I used to like providing air cover for GVers, but it often means 30 seconds or more of delay in the vox channel because of the constant GV chatter.  When I run into a particularly chatty group of GVers I politely suggest that (if they want air cover), they move their mundane chat to a vox channel and stay off of range, which is really for combat chat.  When they continue to clog vox in the combat area, I simply leave the area and let the red guys with bombs have at them.

If I had a dollar for every time I've heard this conversation on range, AH would be free:

P1: "There's a tank coming to the base!"
P2: "Where?"
P3: "What direction?"
P1: "Ummm...:
P4: "What kind of tank?"
P5: "From which spawn?"
P1: "Let me look at the map..."
P2: "He's shooting at you, P3!"
P3: "He got my turret!"
P1: "He's off the corner of the base."
P2: "Which corner?!"
P3: "Which corner?!"
P4: "Which corner?!"
P1: "Ummm..."

Meanwhile there's now 15+ seconds of delay in the vox and still nobody knows what kind of tank and where.  This could all be avoided if players would learn to make a single accurate report, like "Panther moving toward the base halfway from the south spawn."

I try to use a simple rule: think it, then speak it.  This helps me avoid reporting something totally useless to everyone, before I've thought through how to make the information useful.  In other words, I try to say it how I'd want to hear it, instead of just saying "Lancasters over here!" I try to say  "Set of Lancs inbound 10K southeast of town."

There really should be a sticky thread with examples of good radio discipline on range vox.  

<S>
Ryno
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 05:07:47 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.