Author Topic: need advise on 7.1 sound card  (Read 10206 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
need advise on 7.1 sound card
« on: August 23, 2014, 10:03:55 PM »
I am looking for a good 7.1 sound card.  I just drove 60 miles today to get the audigy rx for my razer tiamat 7.1 headset and it wont work.  looks like the audigy combines the middle and rear speakers in one jack.  otherwise the sound is great.

any suggestions?  my mobo has a good 7.1 but not as good as a separate card.

my current sound card is a sound blaster z.  great card but only 5.1.  I did get the roccat kave 5.1 but had to return it as there's a bit of hissing when you have mike on but no sound coming thru.  bass on the kave is awesome.  quality is good.  but the razer tiamat blows them away.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: need advise on 7.1 sound card
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 04:24:14 AM »
Those square head band things hurt my head had to velcro my old head band foam on to it

The Tiamat is better?

The kave 5.1 is awesome

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 05:40:18 AM »
Semp

Here is the one I use and its awesome. http://www.soundblaster.com/products/Sound-Blaster-X-Fi-Titanium-HD.aspx .. it has great sound and gold connectors.. check it out it might be what you are looking for.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:21:25 AM »
These are 7.1?.
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:29:25 AM »
Those square head band things hurt my head had to velcro my old head band foam on to it

The Tiamat is better?

The kave 5.1 is awesome

kave is awesome.  tianman is zack awesome.

That card is 5.1

semp

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:40:46 AM »
You fell for 7.1, huh? Okay, here is a partial list, which does not imply my endorsement.

Audigy RX 7.1
X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI
X-Fi Xtreme Audio PCI Express
X-Fi Titanium PCI Express
X-Fi Titanium Fatality Professional Series PCI Express (I approve of this one)
X-Fi Titanium HD Internal
Xonar DS 7.1
Xonar DX/XD
Xonar Essence STX II 7.1 (I approve)

EDIT: There is also a daughter card upgrade for the Xonar Essence ST to upgrade it to 7.1 (Xonar H6 7.1 Channel Upgrade)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 11:44:18 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 11:44:09 AM »
Can you tell the difference between 5.1 and 7.1?? LOL

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
I feel it is a better system for speakers in entertainment rooms, so that the room is filled with coverage. In a headset I don't know of any human that can tell the difference.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
I feel it is a better system for speakers in entertainment rooms, so that the room is filled with coverage. In a headset I don't know of any human that can tell the difference.

it's more the quality of the sound itself rather than 7.1 or 5.1.  I bought both the 5.1 kave which is awesome and the 7.1 tiaman which is even better.  the problem is finding a sound card that actually has true 7.1 outputs that match the tiaman 7.1.

I bought the audigy rx 7.1 sends middle and rear speaker thru the same output while the tiaman has separate .  which means I can only have 5.1.  was gonna keep this card, but it keeps giving me stutters in both aces high and wot.

the x-f1 titanium hd internal is only 5.1.  while the fatality professional looks like it's what I need amazon sells them for 250 bucks.  way too much for me.  same for the essence stx II.

think I am gonna get either the xonar dsx 7.1 selling for 54 bucks or the soundblaster xfi extreme which is refurbished and on sale for 20 bucks.

I have a 25$ gift card to newegg due to price matching on the headset.  funny thing is that I had the sb xfi extreme but gave it away when i bought the soundblaster z.  I should have kept it but I had it in my closet for over a year and somebody else needed one.

semp

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 01:09:00 PM »
If you have ab onboard 7.1 sound on a somewhat current MB then you are probably throwing money away.

I'd save instead for a different upgrade then audio. Personally.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 01:57:32 PM »
Nope. Even current onboard is a poor man's alternative, offers latency filled 3D (if any), and otherwise strictly low-end performance.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 05:42:28 PM »
Nope. Even current onboard is a poor man's alternative, offers latency filled 3D (if any), and otherwise strictly low-end performance.

Agreed.    Nothing beats a good sound card.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2014, 06:11:40 PM »
well in my case so far nothing beats the sound from my mobo.  waiting for my new sound card to arrive tomorrow if that doesnt work, then it's mobo sound time.  which my mobo has a decent sound.

semp

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2014, 08:24:40 PM »
well in my case so far nothing beats the sound from my mobo.  waiting for my new sound card to arrive tomorrow if that doesnt work, then it's mobo sound time.  which my mobo has a decent sound.

semp

It still doesn't change the fact that on-board sound will always be sub-par compared to a dedicated sound card.  Just because you don't see any difference doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
It still doesn't change the fact that on-board sound will always be sub-par compared to a dedicated sound card.  Just because you don't see any difference doesn't mean one doesn't exist.

ack-ack

actually i was making a reference that I havent been able to find a true 7.1 sound card, well i have but the 2 that I know of, i cant afford.  which in my case means my mobo is better than nothing.

the new card will arrive tomorrow.  hopefully it will work or it's back to my mob has the best 7.1 surround sound that I know of :).

semp