Author Topic: Aiming air to ground missiles air to air?  (Read 904 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Aiming air to ground missiles air to air?
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:59:52 AM »
I often use the P38-L or the P47-D in the ground attack mode using the air to ground rockets.  If I have to take on a red before dropping ords, after dumping the bombs, I keep trying to hit the red plane with the rockets with no success.  I know this is a long shot but it would be neat to at least have a chance in a rocket dump.

How do you line up the gun sight for air to air?  Any guess on the range of the rockets in air to air.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aiming air to ground missiles air to air?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:25:29 PM »
Fly offline with drones. Hit the dive bombing lead computing green cross while you have rockets selected. Chase the drones and place the green cross on a drone and fire.

At WT this has been the big thing for awhile in the blogs. There the air to ground rockets are not as well modeled as ours.

Pew Pew Pew we is turning into an arcade.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 06:14:41 AM »
I will give that a try Bustr.  I don't want to do this all of the time,  Just see if I can.  In WW2, you would think someone tried to use the the a=g rockets to shot down a plane.

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 07:38:42 AM »
Hey randy, this might give you a small idea of the kind of lead you need. It is much larger than with guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHl74Kg0mDU&list=UUDv2N2eCgvVdlHAq_SzSUZg
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 12:16:23 PM »
I will give that a try Bustr.  I don't want to do this all of the time,  Just see if I can.  In WW2, you would think someone tried to use the the a=g rockets to shot down a plane.

The HVARs on the P-38L aren't very well suited for any type of A2A engagements.  Sure, you might get extremely lucky on getting some bombers once in a Blue Moon but it is really pointless to try and use the HVARs for anything other than A2G targets.  This is especially true if you take the P-38J and the bazooka rockets.  If you want to use rockets for A2A, up a Bf 110 instead.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 12:20:43 PM »
Hey randy, this might give you a small idea of the kind of lead you need. It is much larger than with guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHl74Kg0mDU&list=UUDv2N2eCgvVdlHAq_SzSUZg

That was a big help Mechanic.

Ack-ack sometimes I end up with extra rockets after a base capture.  There is risk that goes with the firing of the rockets.  If you miss then you might not get another shot.  Still fun to try.

Offline projoe

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 05:17:29 PM »
a Few months back Changeup put up a challenge in the DA with firing only rockets at each other....it was 8 to 10 of us on each side and it lasted for a couple of hours....it was fun as hell but I don't think anyone was sucessful in scoring a hit.
Maybe sweet talk him alil bit, see if he'll do it again.
Projoe 367th Dynamite Gang

Spread my work ethic
Not my wealth!

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 08:51:28 PM »
Take your rockets to the deck... Fly ON the deck and bait some poor bugger into a lag roll... Sometimes when they over-shoot and haul-butt away while they stick to the deck, that is when you lob a rocket at them and more-often-than-not you will get them on splash-damage. Your reward? You get a kill and a hilarious PM afterwards...

Especially with the TBM... Try it :)
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...