Author Topic: 20 years since Air Warrior, Warbirds, etc.....  (Read 5958 times)

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: 20 years since Air Warrior, Warbirds, etc.....
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2014, 09:54:34 PM »
Airwarrior was such a mind blowing game for the time for those of us old folks who'd spent much of our childhood building model airplanes and flying them around the room.  To know that you were actually 'flying' against other real people was something I'd never have imagined as a kid.

Exactly.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2014, 11:15:00 PM »
I remember a few times in the air warrior days we would have Cz turn the map Green Day, a bunch of Cz squads would all combine our efforts and we would turn the map green man my AOL bill was high in them days....  and don't forget the seven man Deathstars those were so much fun once the squad got a little liquored up lol        I'm an old MotleyAce
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: August 30, 2014, 11:25:20 PM »
I beg to differ.  The A-26 was a capable dogfighter, especially with a gunner on board, and deathstars were often seen in the midst of furballs.

The A-26 vaders were fun to fly in air warriors, the death stars were a hoot I wish we had that option with our bombers in this game, if you multi crew then you get no formation.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2014, 05:34:48 AM »
Air Warrior was a blast for me starting in 1996 on AOL. I called it AOHell cuz they would always boot me when downloading large files.

People did the same crazy stuff then that they do now. We all seem to look back with rose colored glasses eh?

Here are some interesting features of full reality (FR) arena I remember:

The A26 had a feature I called spinfighter. You could get it spinning like a helicopter, pull the trigger as planes flew by, and kill a lot of stuff! Hit bubble made that possible. You could start/stop the spinning at will and it would just float in the air.

Was a trick you could do if you moved the joystick/pedals just right, your plane would pull a 180 degree turn without losing any e or changing position. The 190 was easiest to do this in. First time I saw it irked me no end. Chasing a 190 and it reversed direction and HO'd me. You couldn't tell it reversed direction.

Also there was a bug where everybody else's planes would freeze in midair and you could fly around shooting them down. The frozen planes couldn't see you. oh the wailings...
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 05:38:17 AM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2014, 10:49:12 AM »
Found Air Warriors in 1994 when I got my first PC . Played it about a week and found AH and been hooked sense .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »
I beg to differ.  The A-26 was a capable dogfighter, especially with a gunner on board, and deathstars were often seen in the midst of furballs.

You bet they did!  :D  I used to gun for Spiff who would dogfight with a B17 with me in the Chin gun - great fun!   :devil
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2014, 07:46:16 PM »
1998 a buddy let me play Air Warrior . . . been hooked ever since. 

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2014, 10:35:27 PM »
After reading the first post I think the tl;dr of this thread is... y'all are old :old: :old: :old:

:bolt:
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 31, 2014, 10:47:47 PM »
After reading the first post I think the tl;dr of this thread is... y'all are old :old: :old: :old:

:bolt:

You youngsters have it so easy today with your Picture camera phones, and your vidya games,, and your book of faces media sites. When I was a kid we used to have fun by throwing rocks at one another!  :old:

My mind was blown when we got split-screen games. TWO people playing ONE game at once!  :O :x

(Am I allowed to act old yet? God I miss the days of rock fights :)   )

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: August 31, 2014, 10:51:54 PM »

You youngsters have it so easy today with your Picture camera phones, and your vidya games,, and your book of faces media sites. When I was a kid we used to have fun by throwing rocks at one another!  :old:

My mind was blown when we got split-screen games. TWO people playing ONE game at once!  :O :x

(Am I allowed to act old yet? God I miss the days of rock fights :)   )
IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE YA FANCY GRAPHICS AND YA QUAD CORE PROCESSORS... EVERY GAME WAS MINECRAFT!
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 31, 2014, 11:07:03 PM »
IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE YA FANCY GRAPHICS AND YA QUAD CORE PROCESSORS... EVERY GAME WAS MINECRAFT!

Minecraft before Minecraft was cool..... or even made.  :lol

.....are you a Hipster?  :uhoh

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2014, 11:08:49 PM »
Minecraft before Minecraft was cool..... or even made.  :lol

.....are you a Hipster?  :uhoh
IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE HIPSTERS.. JUST BROKEN HIPS...

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2014, 11:29:48 PM »
IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE HIPSTERS.. JUST BROKEN HIPS...

You might not want to wish for the day when your exercise is falling down and your social life is attending funerals.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2014, 02:08:03 PM »
You might not want to wish for the day when your exercise is falling down and your social life is attending funerals.
You must be fun at parties...

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2014, 05:08:47 PM »
You must be fun at parties...

IN MY DAY WE DIDN'T HAVE PARTIES...   :old:
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234