Author Topic: What AH needs...  (Read 3833 times)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: What AH needs...
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2014, 03:21:11 PM »
Again, you are still wrong as usual. The hordes were different and less frequent because there were LESS PLAYERS!

Even now, there are more players in general than that nostalgic time period you wont let go of.  If you want that low number, low horde game style, there are less populated games available.

Going by Lusche chart here If you look at the number of kills back in the day when AW closed it seems it is about the same number as we have now. Funny huh? I find it difficult to believe that so few players could match the number of kills we have today.

I know the chart is just that, a chart and you can read into it what you will. It has been considered a good way to chart population....as nobody but HTC has access to those numbers and they seem to follow the decline in population in the arenas rather well.

I have never said I want low numbers. I loved the times we had close to 1000 players on line. You could find what ever fight you wanted. Back then you still had many of the players we are missing today, those who fought and were not into the one dimensional style of gameplay that we are so lucky to have today.

I played over 6 hours yesterday, and had a few fun fights, how about you? Oh thats right you haven't played in 6 months, why, bored with the gameplay maybe?    

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2014, 03:27:49 PM »
Again, you are still wrong as usual. The hordes were different and less frequent because there were LESS PLAYERS!

Even now, there are more players in general than that nostalgic time period you wont let go of.  If you want that low number, low horde game style, there are less populated games available.

We are pretty sure that there were more players in 2006 (before the migration to AH2), than there are currently.    So this seems to be something that you should have PM'd Fugi.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2014, 06:05:43 PM »
Going by Lusche chart here If you look at the number of kills back in the day when AW closed it seems it is about the same number as we have now. Funny huh? I find it difficult to believe that so few players could match the number of kills we have today.

Those numbers don't take into account player density or playing style and are nothing but an assumption. Less players could be playing more hours. More players could be playing less hours. Players who've been playing for ten years could have gotten tired of flying and now spend all their time in GVs or bombers.   

But it doesn't really matter, the arena back then was limited to how many players?  I seem to remember AH being at 250 when I first joined in either '01 or '02.

I don't know why arenas were at 250 but hitech said a few years ago that arena limits weren't based on technical limitations. If the same was true back in '01, then that suggests the population wasn't big enough to justify a higher limit even at peak days. I'm just guessing, but I think the peaks are still going over 300.

It is not a good way to chart population, it's your only way.

I have never said I want low numbers. I loved the times we had close to 1000 players on line. You could find what ever fight you wanted.......

...and HUGE HORDES.

I played over 6 hours yesterday, and had a few fun fights, how about you? Oh thats right you haven't played in 6 months, why, bored with the gameplay maybe?   

YES, I have been bored with gameplay. It's the same old game it's always been. I have said it MANY times over. The game needs to change. It needs to restructure in a way that provides ALL the different activities ALL PLAYERS want regardless of their different interests and expectations of a game.

It's not impossible. It's quite simple really.

We are pretty sure that there were more players in 2006 (before the migration to AH2), than there are currently. 

wait! WHAT?  I know there were more players, I was there, then and now.

So this seems to be something that you should have PM'd Fugi.

Not sure what you're suggesting I PM him for.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2014, 06:23:46 PM »
Those numbers don't take into account player density or playing style and are nothing but an assumption. Less players could be playing more hours. More players could be playing less hours. Players who've been playing for ten years could have gotten tired of flying and now spend all their time in GVs or bombers.   

But it doesn't really matter, the arena back then was limited to how many players?  I seem to remember AH being at 250 when I first joined in either '01 or '02.

I don't know why arenas were at 250 but hitech said a few years ago that arena limits weren't based on technical limitations. If the same was true back in '01, then that suggests the population wasn't big enough to justify a higher limit even at peak days. I'm just guessing, but I think the peaks are still going over 300.

It is not a good way to chart population, it's your only way.

...and HUGE HORDES.

YES, I have been bored with gameplay. It's the same old game it's always been. I have said it MANY times over. The game needs to change. It needs to restructure in a way that provides ALL the different activities ALL PLAYERS want regardless of their different interests and expectations of a game.

It's not impossible. It's quite simple really.

wait! WHAT?  I know there were more players, I was there, then and now.

Not sure what you're suggesting I PM him for.

There wasn't a technical reason for a limit. If 600 players showed up they would have all been able to login. No the limit was Hitech's, he believed that having large populations would limit players interacting with others. Creating an environment where players could be/feel left out. This is what lead to the split arenas we got when the numbers rose above that limit he thought was good. That limit I believe was 350 players.

Density is just due to map size. When the player number went up we lost the small maps. Now as the numbers drop we have lost the biggest map because it can't build a active density. The maps we have today can except for non US prime time. Even those large maps maybe going back on the shelf. As things are now the numbers don't fill a single arena to Hitech's limit.

I can't speak for the numbers back then as I didn't bother looking at them. I was too excited to get in and play. However going by the chart I feel it follows what I do remember of other times when I did look at the numbers. As it is one of the few things we can use to measure population I'm ok with it. If your not, show us something else that proves other wise.

Again, my memory was foggy of how much of an increase we had of NOEs back in the day, I'm sure its just as foggy now.   

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2014, 06:24:48 PM »

Arenas were only limited from sep 2006 on, when the MA was spilt up. And the caps were dynamic, no set to a fixed number. And player numbers were much higher at that times, easily peaking 600-800 in the two LW arenas alone in the 2007-2008 era.
These days, we generally cross 300 players only on a weekend peak time. During the week it's slightly below 300 now.

And that's just the peak time. Offpeak low is currently at about 30-40 players, where back in 2007/08 it rarely dropped much below 100 at all (and these were playing in one of the LW arenas, as arena caps kicked in only at Euro evening/US noon). Averaged we have now about half the players online we once had when I joined AH back in 2005 (single MA). Also on average, players in GV made up 20% of all "inflight" at that time, today it's 25%

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2014, 11:03:12 PM »

Arenas were only limited from sep 2006 on, when the MA was spilt up. And the caps were dynamic, no set to a fixed number. And player numbers were much higher at that times, easily peaking 600-800 in the two LW arenas alone in the 2007-2008 era.
These days, we generally cross 300 players only on a weekend peak time. During the week it's slightly below 300 now.

You are talking about the MA split. I'm aware of the numbers, I was there and I was around during the split.

I was talking about the limits we had all the way back through AW.  AW was maxed out at 200 near the end.

AH had a 250 player cap when I started. I don't recall it being dynamic, I believe it was capped at 250 and no entry when it was full just like AW was.

And that's just the peak time. Offpeak low is currently at about 30-40 players, where back in 2007/08 it rarely dropped much below 100 at all (and these were playing in one of the LW arenas, as arena caps kicked in only at Euro evening/US noon). Averaged we have now about half the players online we once had when I joined AH back in 2005 (single MA). Also on average, players in GV made up 20% of all "inflight" at that time, today it's 25%

Again, I was there. Comparing the golden years of '07 +/- to the low numbers now is irrelevant. Fugi was comparing the low numbers now.... to the early days... the '01 era. That's what I addressed.

There wasn't a technical reason for a limit. If 600 players showed up they would have all been able to login.

In 01 or 02, if the arena was full, you were locked out until the numbers dropped. I don't remember that happening too often, but it did happen just like it did when AW arenas filled up.

No the limit was Hitech's, he believed that having large populations would limit players interacting with others. Creating an environment where players could be/feel left out. This is what lead to the split arenas we got when the numbers rose above that limit he thought was good. That limit I believe was 350 players.

I doubt he had any reason to be concerned about overpopulation in those days.

Density is just due to map size.

We aren't discussing player density on the maps during play, we are discussing player density as it relates to the number of kills chart you referred to. You compared the low player population of then and now and pointed to kill numbers as an indicator of the population size.  The population has shrunk from its peak NO doubt but not to below early 2k numbers.

There are many vets who are only dabbling in the game. They don't play full time and guaranteed to be performing far below their potentials. AH could have 1000 vets that only play occasionally for a variety of reasons. They don't contribute to the kill counts like they used to. That's just one reason your kills stat is not a good indicator.

As it is one of the few things we can use to measure population I'm ok with it. If your not, show us something else that proves other wise.

I wasn't ever concerned with proving what the arena population is or was. I know it was generally lower than it is now and I don't feel the need to prove it.

I also know that AH had fewer GV's to operate in the early days, therefore there were less GVrs and more flyers because flying was the primary activity by design. By the chart you offered as evidence, a/a kills have are now double what they were in early 2000s. g/g kills are over 100k more than then. So it seems to prove numbers are up by your logic anyhow.

This argument is getting off course as usual. The game you remember has changed because after nearly 2 decades of playing the same old game, it has gotten old. Older players gravitated to the newer GV aspect in the game. Newer players play the game with the same bad manners we all had when we first found the game and the population grew along with the relative percentage of bad behaviors.

Yes, bad behaviors spike. Particularly during population changes. There is an ebb and flow in everything. But your frustration is not about bad behavior. You will never again have that old feeling you are looking for until HTC gets off their hats and takes this game to the next level...  A level that demands a certain degree of cartoon professionalism and has an outlet for and interweaves every playing style into a single game in the same arena.
Fear? You bet your life...but that all leaves you as you reach combat. Then there's a sense of great excitement, a thrill you can't duplicate anywhere...it's actually fun. Yes, I think it is the most exciting fun in the world. — Lt. Col. Robert B. "Westy" Westbrook, USAAF 6/<--lol@mod

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2014, 11:21:59 PM »
You are talking about the MA split. I'm aware of the numbers, I was there and I was around during the split.

I was talking about the limits we had all the way back through AW.  AW was maxed out at 200 near the end.

AH had a 250 player cap when I started. I don't recall it being dynamic, I believe it was capped at 250 and no entry when it was full just like AW was.

Again, I was there. Comparing the golden years of '07 +/- to the low numbers now is irrelevant. Fugi was comparing the low numbers now.... to the early days... the '01 era. That's what I addressed.

In 01 or 02, if the arena was full, you were locked out until the numbers dropped. I don't remember that happening too often, but it did happen just like it did when AW arenas filled up.

I doubt he had any reason to be concerned about overpopulation in those days.

We aren't discussing player density on the maps during play, we are discussing player density as it relates to the number of kills chart you referred to. You compared the low player population of then and now and pointed to kill numbers as an indicator of the population size.  The population has shrunk from its peak NO doubt but not to below early 2k numbers.

There are many vets who are only dabbling in the game. They don't play full time and guaranteed to be performing far below their potentials. AH could have 1000 vets that only play occasionally for a variety of reasons. They don't contribute to the kill counts like they used to. That's just one reason your kills stat is not a good indicator.

I wasn't ever concerned with proving what the arena population is or was. I know it was generally lower than it is now and I don't feel the need to prove it.

I also know that AH had fewer GV's to operate in the early days, therefore there were less GVrs and more flyers because flying was the primary activity by design. By the chart you offered as evidence, a/a kills have are now double what they were in early 2000s. g/g kills are over 100k more than then. So it seems to prove numbers are up by your logic anyhow.

This argument is getting off course as usual. The game you remember has changed because after nearly 2 decades of playing the same old game, it has gotten old. Older players gravitated to the newer GV aspect in the game. Newer players play the game with the same bad manners we all had when we first found the game and the population grew along with the relative percentage of bad behaviors.

Yes, bad behaviors spike. Particularly during population changes. There is an ebb and flow in everything. But your frustration is not about bad behavior. You will never again have that old feeling you are looking for until HTC gets off their hats and takes this game to the next level...  A level that demands a certain degree of cartoon professionalism and has an outlet for and interweaves every playing style into a single game in the same arena.

The only reason it is going off course is your need to twist things to avoid admitting anyone other than you is correct.

I am not frustrated by the game as I said I played over 6 hours Saturday. Your the one that seems to be frustrated and no longer play. My suggestions and observations are just that, suggestions and observations. I have no documented paper work or films to prove my memory is accurate, only my track record.

I have this knack for remembering stupid useless information. I remember joining AH in tour 21 as AW was winding down. I remember logging in almost everynight for an hour or so and I remember NEVER having an issue with an arena being full and having to wait to get in. Tour 25 was 50 hours for me. AW had many nights were you had to wait to log in as they did have limits on the number of players per arena. Could this be what your stuck on?

Its kinda funny, in tour 25 as MDJOE with no runs in vehicles I was tied for 2819 for ranking. This tour as Fugitive also with no runs in a vehicle I'm tied for 1892.  Either there are a lot more players tied for last place these days, or the numbers seem to have been bigger back then.  

Kinda makes you wonder who remembers what.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 11:23:39 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline muzik

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2014, 12:07:13 AM »
The only reason it is going off course is your need to twist things to avoid admitting anyone other than you is correct.

Please, tell what I twisted?

I am not frustrated by the game

My mistake, I must have imagined you posting 3 pages of whines about how the game has gone down hill in every thread you get a hold of.

Your the one that seems to be frustrated and no longer play.

I stopped playing for several reasons, one of which was that the game has gotten stale enough that I'm not addicted anymore. Other, more important reasons include, I have better things to do. But you can certainly point to my frustrations, I don't hide them. I also don't post a tenth of the complaints you do. Want to take a count?

I have no documented paper work or films to prove my memory is accurate, only my track record.

Your track record is unfounded whines.

I have this knack for remembering stupid useless information.

And you also previously admitted that you couldn't remember the relevant information. All in all, I think the case is closed on the validity of your "suggestions and observations."

AW had many nights were you had to wait to log in as they did have limits on the number of players per arena. Could this be what your stuck on?

I'm not stuck on anything, you're clueless. You brought up the player population based on kill counts and I responded to you and lusche.

Its kinda funny, in tour 25 as MDJOE with no runs in vehicles I was tied for 2819 for ranking. This tour as Fugitive also with no runs in a vehicle I'm tied for 1892.  Either there are a lot more players tied for last place these days, or the numbers seem to have been bigger back then. 

Kinda makes you wonder who remembers what.

No, it makes me laugh at you lack of logic and laughable need to demonstrate it to the world.  I don't know when tour 25 started and I don't care. But I'm sure if I look it up, it will be another amusing result like your kill chart attempt.

Offline Kodiak

• Copper Member
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2014, 04:34:19 AM »
The problem is:
1) The graphics
2) The optimization of the game
3) Access (and advertising) to the game
4) A manifestation of outside gamer xenophobia in the community as a whole
5) Skyyr

The last point, surprisingly, probably has the most impact to player retention.

Fixed  :)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 04:52:11 AM by Kodiak »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2014, 05:03:00 AM »

I was talking about the limits we had all the way back through AW.  AW was maxed out at 200 near the end.

Maybe in beta, but I don't know of any caps in AH1. Never heard heard or read about them at all either, not when I did my first "2weeks" back then nor anybody remebered any such caps at the time of the arena split and the new ones were introduced.
Can anybody else confirm an effective arena cap during the single MA days of AH1 (not AW)? And if so, when did it stop?

We now have about the same number of players "inflight" than we had in early & mid 2001, before the subscription price was lowered and AW finally shut down.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2014, 08:42:33 AM »
Please, tell what I twisted?

My mistake, I must have imagined you posting 3 pages of whines about how the game has gone down hill in every thread you get a hold of.

I stopped playing for several reasons, one of which was that the game has gotten stale enough that I'm not addicted anymore. Other, more important reasons include, I have better things to do. But you can certainly point to my frustrations, I don't hide them. I also don't post a tenth of the complaints you do. Want to take a count?

Your track record is unfounded whines.

And you also previously admitted that you couldn't remember the relevant information. All in all, I think the case is closed on the validity of your "suggestions and observations."

I'm not stuck on anything, you're clueless. You brought up the player population based on kill counts and I responded to you and lusche.

No, it makes me laugh at you lack of logic and laughable need to demonstrate it to the world.  I don't know when tour 25 started and I don't care. But I'm sure if I look it up, it will be another amusing result like your kill chart attempt.

My last response to you as it is obvious that you don't wish to have a discussion on the topic at hand but wish instead to insult and belittle me.

As a bit to show your "stellar" memory, from this quote "I seem to remember AH being at 250 when I first joined in either '01 or '02.", you didn't join AH until November 03. So you couldn't have been here during the "hey days" right after AW. You could at least "check" your memory before you let your mouth run over.  :D

Tour 25 was was February 02 just a month or so AFTER AW closed it's doors. As most of the information posted here is stupid and that nobody would bother remember it, I am stuck remembering it. So as for the "relevant information" that would be rather subjective don't you think?  Either way HTC and CO can easily post here straitening out any "facts" I may have misremembered.

The player count has always been compared by both rank totals and total kill counts. While neither are "player counts" they are tied very tightly to player counts. Lusche does a crazy.... to most of us.... amount of data gathering. His numbers and the charts he builds from them easily show the dropping numbers in the arenas. The "WHY's" for that drop isn't known and is what is under discussion here.

If you don't follow the data (or don't understand it) and don't agree that it shows we have less people now than in the old days right after AW that is fine. I like many others here are just pointing out the "WHY's" we see and suggest solutions to the problems.

You seem to think every comment I make is a complaint. If I was so miserable in this game why would I be still playing it AND paying for it?  So your assumption is wrong. I love this game and would play it every day if I had the time. It's fun and challenging and has many things to offer.

I truly believe that the majority of players think that gathering in a horde with a heavy fighter to roll the next base is the "be all" of this game. They have no clue about how evolved missions CAN be, and so I post about those. I also believe that they think that getting a kill is a fight. So we see so many HOs because those those are the easiest shots to possible get a kill. Drive right at the other guy and hold the trigger down. And so I post about those. I'm not complaining, I'm posting in the hopes someone will read the post and say "huh, I didn't know/think about that", and the game will get better for them and ultimately the rest of us as well. You can believe what you will. I for one couldn't care less on your opinions as it seems you don't even care enough to stick it out in the game. If you have "better things to do" I suggest you do them and stop wasting your time here.   

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »
My last response to you as it is obvious that you don't wish to have a discussion on the topic at hand but wish instead to insult and belittle.

Forgive him, he appears to have self esteem issues.   He is sierra hotel in his own mind and correct.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2014, 09:58:29 AM »
IMHO, the MA is merely a practice arena for Special Events:

http://www.ahevents.org/

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2014, 10:21:57 AM »
You're spot on. Of course your "someone has to pay argument" is quite accurate as well, other posters obviously didn't understand your reference to economics (watch them come back and claim they knew all along now).

The reason why the game is dying isn't some mysterious change in player attitudes or demeanors. Online games have always attracted a certain type of competitive mindset.

The problem is:
1) The graphics
2) The optimization of the game
3) Access (and advertising) to the game
4) A manifestation of outside gamer xenophobia in the community as a whole

The last point, surprisingly, probably has the most impact to player retention. The whole "we want new players, but we want them to act like us, the guys who are part of a dying community" argument.

they're right skyer.  your 200 rants on da and noob talk is exactly an example of what is driving new players away.  that and midway.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2014, 10:23:40 AM »
Maybe in beta, but I don't know of any caps in AH1. Never heard heard or read about them at all either, not when I did my first "2weeks" back then nor anybody remebered any such caps at the time of the arena split and the new ones were introduced.
Can anybody else confirm an effective arena cap during the single MA days of AH1 (not AW)? And if so, when did it stop?

We now have about the same number of players "inflight" than we had in early & mid 2001, before the subscription price was lowered and AW finally shut down.

Somewhen around 2006 - 2007 blue and orange MA were capped at 250 and later at 350 players except Titanic Tuesday. Single arena's were 650 player cap as far as I know
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn