Author Topic: Screen Freeze during game play  (Read 442 times)

Offline SlipKnt

• Gold Member
Screen Freeze during game play
« on: September 12, 2014, 08:07:38 AM »
As many in the community have previously read, I installed a new graphic card. 

I upgraded my OS from Windows Vista to Windows 7.

I have a 700W power supply but is 5 years old.

I run the game as administrator.

All of my drivers are up to date.

***My computer freezes after a while of game play (anywhere from 1 to 3 hours) forcing me to reboot the computer as it becomes unresponsive.  No idea why.

1.  How can I trouble shoot this issue?

2.  My first instinct is to uninstall the game and reinstall it. 

3.  I just turned off the Windows auto update.

4.  My firewall is deactivated

5.  Is there anything I can do to turn off processes running in the background?  I know how to, but I don't know WHAT to shut down and leave running.  Is there a place I can go online that outlines junk processes that aren't necessary?

What other causes could cause the freeze?

Thanks!

:rock
SlipKnoT
AKSlpKnT
Arabian Knights
DCS:
SlipKnoT
vCSG-3, VMA-513 Flying Nightmares (AV8B)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Screen Freeze during game play
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 08:21:10 AM »
1. Do a clean startup and play AH to see whether the problem persists. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796
5. BlackViper, www.blackviper.com

What antivirus are you using? IMO the firewall shouldn't have that much of an effect.
Did you do a clean install or did you upgrade from Vista, saving all your files and settings in the process?
Freezing may be a symptom of processor overheating as illogical it may sound. Have you cleaned your cooler fans and the fins below? Is there a sufficient airflow through your case or is it in a closed cabinet under your desk?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:37:21 AM »
As many in the community have previously read, I installed a new graphic card.  

I upgraded my OS from Windows Vista to Windows 7.

I have a 700W power supply but is 5 years old.

I run the game as administrator.

All of my drivers are up to date.

***My computer freezes after a while of game play (anywhere from 1 to 3 hours) forcing me to reboot the computer as it becomes unresponsive.  No idea why.

1.  How can I trouble shoot this issue?

2.  My first instinct is to uninstall the game and reinstall it.  

3.  I just turned off the Windows auto update.

4.  My firewall is deactivated

5.  Is there anything I can do to turn off processes running in the background?  I know how to, but I don't know WHAT to shut down and leave running.  Is there a place I can go online that outlines junk processes that aren't necessary?

What other causes could cause the freeze?

Thanks!

:rock
SlipKnoT

If problems started after you installed the new card it's usually an indication of two possible problems: your new card is defective (if its factory overclocked, might be overheating etc) or your old PSU is not up to task anymore.

Also if you did an upgrade install from Vista, that may also cause problems. It's always safest to do a clean install.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 10:14:07 AM »
Hopefully you did not do an upgrade over the top of Vista.  That will never end well.

If you did a clean OS install, did you install the motherboard drivers and the native sound card drivers?  People seem to forgot about those as the default Windows supplied drivers can make most of it work, but it will never perform or be as stable as native drivers will make it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 11:52:53 AM »
Aside from what else has been mentioned.
Cut back on the custom sounds if you have any. And download skins manually. I find I sometimes get screen freeze/stutters when downloading skins in game
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty