Author Topic: No country dar  (Read 4674 times)

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
Re: No country dar
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2014, 09:21:25 AM »
I don't agree, with the HQ down yesterday I had no problem finding our two bases constantly rained on by a stream of enemy fighters. ... and I still don't understand why most like clouds of red, it just promotes the use of very few planes when on the receiving end.

Either way, high speed passes into a cloud of lower ubber turners or ubber turning avoiding attackers hoping to catch one offguard is still not 'dogfighting'. It's gunery practice for the ones without cannons, and SA practice for the others. :old:

:headscratch:

So what's your point?  There were fights.... just not "dogfights" as you would perfer them? 

I'm having a hard time figuring out how the fighting you describe is any different than that found during other nights in the MA.

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2014, 09:24:27 AM »
What happens when HQ goes down is a rotten dynamic to have in a *combat* game. Actually it hurts combatants on BOTH sides-if the enemy doesn't have much clue where to up, they are less likely to give you a fight. What can be more boring and disappointing than flying to a base, only to find it undefended or barely defended? (Notwitstanding all the back-slapping and "Yay us!" that most of the green guys around you will emit when they kill their inanimate objects and drop some drunks on town :rolleyes: ) And in a combat game where players are leaving because it is too hard to fights at times, such a dynamic seems a bit suicidal.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2014, 10:12:01 AM »
What happens when HQ goes down is a rotten dynamic to have in a *combat* game. Actually it hurts combatants on BOTH sides-if the enemy doesn't have much clue where to up, they are less likely to give you a fight. What can be more boring and disappointing than flying to a base, only to find it undefended or barely defended? (Notwitstanding all the back-slapping and "Yay us!" that most of the green guys around you will emit when they kill their inanimate objects and drop some drunks on town :rolleyes: ) And in a combat game where players are leaving because it is too hard to fights at times, such a dynamic seems a bit suicidal.

Yes exactly. The game needs more mechanics that makes it more fun and less mechanics for gamey no-lifers to ruin the others game.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2014, 10:44:50 AM »
:headscratch:

So what's your point?  There were fights.... just not "dogfights" as you would perfer them? 

I'm having a hard time figuring out how the fighting you describe is any different than that found during other nights in the MA.

Fights are unrelated to the HQ status. Furthermore, small maps or big maps doesn't change anything either. Players mostly pile up on a train between 2 bases and fights are there too. There's always a fight/furball in the MA. (It is not my favorite way to play the game, I usually go for the few cons attacking a base because I can usually have a fight where I get to 'push' my plane ... but that's unrelated).
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2014, 10:50:22 AM »
Fights are unrelated to the HQ status. Furthermore, small maps or big maps doesn't change anything either. Players mostly pile up on a train between 2 bases and fights are there too. There's always a fight/furball in the MA. (It is not my favorite way to play the game, I usually go for the few cons attacking a base because I can usually have a fight where I get to 'push' my plane ... but that's unrelated).

Depends entirely on how you approach the "furball".  I let those down low have their fun while staying above the fight.  I don't do so "to pick"....I engage those coming in co-alt in smaller 1v1 or 2v1 engagements....much more fun in my opinion.  If nothing is available I'll typically dive to clear someone as they egress from the fight or will go try to hunt bombers. 

The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2014, 10:54:22 AM »
I don't even care when the HQ gets hit.  :lol

I find it funny when people kill the HQ and broadcast it on 200 channel like we can't see that we OBVIOUSLY don't have dar.
Top Gun

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »
I find it funny when people kill the HQ and broadcast it on 200 channel like we can't see that we OBVIOUSLY don't have dar.

They just want you to know it's been THEM...  they probably hope you will get  :furious at them   :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2014, 11:11:24 AM »
Fights are unrelated to the HQ status.

Battles are very much affected by them. You don't see any large raid coming at all. Suddenly a base does flash... and you have not the slightest idea if any of that flashing bases all over is subject to a massive medium altitude bomber raid... until it's too late.
Players like me who are playing 'wargame' aspect of AH, and not just for any individual fights or even just kills, will be affected a lot by it.

Now that's actually still fine with me as a general principle... It's just that the balance is totally off. One of the most massive impacting gameplay impacts nowadays can easily be done by a single player, and often at virtually no risk.
On several maps you can fly your set of Lancs all the way NOE to HQ without even triggering a single alarm. When finally the HQ alert goes off, it's too late - NOE Lancs will be over it after just three minutes.

And at 50% city status HQ downtime will be 105 minutes. On a map like Fester, it takes 10 minutes for a goon to reach HQ and reduce downtime by 4 mins per drop...  And now put into equation that there may be only as little as 10-20 players on a country at all.
Speaking of Fester, on this particular map (but there are similar ones) it's very difficult to defend not only against NOE, but even vs an altitude strat attack.

It's the balance that's broken. Very little effort for massive impact.

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 11:16:18 AM »
They just want you to know it's been THEM...  they probably hope you will get  :furious at them   :old:

actually it is to let the 3rd country know so that they to can enjoy the benefits

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 11:21:41 AM »

actually it is to let the 3rd country know so that they to can enjoy the benefits

Oh, that too :)

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2014, 11:29:39 AM »
I tried that, but when fighting above a furball the guy just dives away to friends/ack at the first hint of losing ---> No fight. Sorry unrealated to the discussion. :cheers:
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2014, 11:32:39 AM »
The puffy ack around the HQ should be at least twice as much as anything else in the game. After all, it's your HQ! That's something I would think you'd position a lot of AAA around.

I've also been thinking, what if we redesigned the HQ as well as change it's function? What if the HQ acted like the strats where you can damage a percentage of it? And, the only way to completely shut down the function of the HQ is to drop it to 0%. Make it a large complex area that requires quite a bit of ords to drop just 1 structure. This way it would require the teamwork of many bombers to kill an HQ rather than 1 set of lancs destroying 1 building.

Just a thought.  :uhoh

I agree hugely.

+1 To this. :aok
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 11:33:31 AM »
Battles are very much affected by them. You don't see any large raid coming at all. Suddenly a base does flash... and you have not the slightest idea if any of that flashing bases all over is subject to a massive medium altitude bomber raid... until it's too late.
Players like me who are playing 'wargame' aspect of AH, and not just for any individual fights or even just kills, will be affected a lot by it.

Now that's actually still fine with me as a general principle... It's just that the balance is totally off. One of the most massive impacting gameplay impacts nowadays can easily be done by a single player, and often at virtually no risk.
On several maps you can fly your set of Lancs all the way NOE to HQ without even triggering a single alarm. When finally the HQ alert goes off, it's too late - NOE Lancs will be over it after just three minutes.

And at 50% city status HQ downtime will be 105 minutes. On a map like Fester, it takes 10 minutes for a goon to reach HQ and reduce downtime by 4 mins per drop...  And now put into equation that there may be only as little as 10-20 players on a country at all.
Speaking of Fester, on this particular map (but there are similar ones) it's very difficult to defend not only against NOE, but even vs an altitude strat attack.

It's the balance that's broken. Very little effort for massive impact.

Thank you for explaining your side of the coin (I don't feel affected by HQ status as country chanel usually reports the few NOE raids). But you make total sense to me.
Dat jugs bro.

------------------------

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 12:32:29 PM »
Thank you for explaining your side of the coin (I don't feel affected by HQ status as country chanel usually reports the few NOE raids). But you make total sense to me.

:huh

I think you are forgetting where you are.

You are supposed to say something like "Yeah, of course you landgrabbers and toolshedders are whining about it" with some more comments about xboxers, "youth of today" and the game being full of lame runners these days.
I would reply with ridiculing your score, claiming that I have been #1 in whatever for umpteen times and bragging how often my squaddies picked you in a dogfight.

At that point others will drop in and pile up on each others until it ends with a locked thread and two dozen #4's. 

That's how this BBS works :old:

:noid  :bolt:

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 12:44:00 PM »
Knit hordes.  :lol

LOL Bishop saying that is ironic!  I say especially from a member of the darned! :old:
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011