Author Topic: Manual fuel tank selection: Does it Really Make a Difference?  (Read 2517 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Manual fuel tank selection: Does it Really Make a Difference?
« on: September 02, 2014, 07:07:18 AM »
In the P-38 manual the fuel tank selection is Aux for the first 15 minutes to create room for carburetor vapor not plane balance.  Then you start working on the wing tanks.  AH auto fuel tank selection starts with the Aux tanks as well then LM RM albeit AH does not need to make room for the vapors.

In my first attempts at manual tank selection I have run out of fuel twice in the heat of battle because I failed to switch tanks.

In general or plane specific, is manual fuel tank selection a good task to master?  Does it really make a difference in AH?

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Manual fuel tank selection: Does it Really Make a Difference?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:39:24 AM »
It is plane dependent.  For the P-47, you have a small aux tank that is rarely damaged and a large main tank that is frequently damaged.  The normal order burns the aux tank first, leaving you with no reserve when your main tank gets holed. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »
It's useful for manipulating the CG to make your aircraft perform to your liking.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »

It's useful for manipulating the CG to make your aircraft perform to your liking.

Skyr, I probably need to go in offline practice and run a few test on things like roll rate.

It is plane dependent.  For the P-47, you have a small aux tank that is rarely damaged and a large main tank that is frequently damaged.  The normal order burns the aux tank first, leaving you with no reserve when your main tank gets holed. 

Caldera, that is a good point on the 47.

Offline Naughty

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 05:53:19 PM »

Manual tank selection can make A HUGE difference depending on the plane.  in the Spits, there are a top and bottom tank, (and wing tanks in the 8). I burn the wings first, as they are easily damaged. then burn the top, to lower my center of gravity. sometimes i'll leave 1/4 in the top as a reserve cause I have a tendency to ignore the gauge while engaged.  In planes that have wing tanks, and torque issues (like corsairs) you want to burn the wings first, and Leave 1/4 to 1/8 in the wing opposite the engine torque to help counter it. then switch to main.   
The true warrior has no enemies. Only teachers

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 10:01:35 PM »
   Manual tank selection can make A HUGE difference depending on the plane.  in the Spits, there are a top and bottom tank, (and wing tanks in the 8). I burn the wings first, as they are easily damaged. then burn the top, to lower my center of gravity. sometimes i'll leave 1/4 in the top as a reserve cause I have a tendency to ignore the gauge while engaged.  In planes that have wing tanks, and torque issues (like corsairs) you want to burn the wings first, and Leave 1/4 to 1/8 in the wing opposite the engine torque to help counter it. then switch to main.   

Now I ask you, what Combat/Flight Sim allows you to perform such specific, Aircraft specific actions? None that I know of.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:35:05 PM »
this!!!!
 I fly the jug M and D-40 full of fuel and switch on take off to main,, gives me a 10 minute reserve with the aux tank!  just recently, I got hit in both tanks,, I don't remember that ever happening before but even so, I flew for almost ten minutes!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 04:10:25 PM »
In the P-38, it's best to leave it at auto-fuel instead of doing it manually. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 04:24:21 PM »
I have a related question about fuel tank and tanks leaking.  Does the AH damage model take into account the self-sealing tanks that many of our aircraft had?
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 05:16:46 PM »
I have a related question about fuel tank and tanks leaking.  Does the AH damage model take into account the self-sealing tanks that many of our aircraft had?

It does in terms of the damage model, although by only making it less likely to spring a leak (or catch on fire) when taking damage to the region of a fuel tank, and then also in how fast you're loosing fuel out of the leak (I notice smaller bullets to planes with self sealing tanks can sometimes result in a slower leak, but it is as random as it is reliable).  So it's numbers as applied within the model I think: a lower percentage for damage to that component, a longer time for it to drain sometimes.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 09:27:58 PM »
In the P-38, it's best to leave it at auto-fuel instead of doing it manually. 

ack-ack

So far I can't tell a big difference.  I will follow your advice on the 38 and go auto.  Beats running out of fuel at the most embarrassing times.

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 08:48:15 AM »

In the 190-d ALWAYS select front tank first and keep the rear as reserve. Unless you take 100% then I drain the rear at least halfway.
    The front tank will get shot out first leaving you with no fuel if you ran out the rear when leaving fuel on auto. This is most noticeable when hit by ack.  :eek:
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 08:57:44 AM »
    In the 190-d ALWAYS select front tank first and keep the rear as reserve. Unless you take 100% then I drain the rear at least halfway.
    The front tank will get shot out first leaving you with no fuel if you ran out the rear when leaving fuel on auto. This is most noticeable when hit by ack.  :eek:

that happens me alot lately...
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »
this!!!!
 I fly the jug M and D-40 full of fuel and switch on take off to main,, gives me a 10 minute reserve with the aux tank!  just recently, I got hit in both tanks,, I don't remember that ever happening before but even so, I flew for almost ten minutes!
I find that a full aux tank in the P47 makes it a little more difficult to control in stalling maneuvers. If I leave fuel in the AUX it is no more than 25% - this can still carry you quite a long way if you can fly at reduced RPM (i.e. disengage from combat before the main tank runs dry).
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2014, 10:09:41 AM »

I think burning off the front will leave you a little more maneuverable but more marginally stable as well. As for anything with wing tanks, generally, it helps to burn 'em early because the decrease in roll inertia will significantly help in the break.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.