Author Topic: Calibration and Gun positions in bombers  (Read 767 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Calibration and Gun positions in bombers
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:12:10 PM »
 :airplane: OK, here is another request, and again, its because I don't understand computers very well, but, when I am calibrated on a bomb run and I jump to a gun position to defend myself, why do I have to re-calibrate the bomb sight again? Once it is calibrated, should it not stay calibrated until I have dropped bombs? I am not in a "gun" position when I calibrate, so again, why should it not stay calibrated until I leave the bomb sight position?
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: Calibration and Gun positions in bombers
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 02:17:27 PM »
Probably because you inadvertantly jinked around while in the guns, any yaw input can set you offcourse and even mess up your calibration.
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 03:59:21 PM »
If your at an altitude that has wind, and you move the aircraft at all (twisty stick) or you are still increasing your speed in level flight. It should be off.. you can test this. By flying under wind (below 14k in the ma) and calibrating when your at max spped for that alt. With doors open. If your speed it at the point that you are maxed out for that aircraft at that alt. Your calibration should stay the same.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 04:21:00 PM »
:airplane: OK, here is another request, and again, its because I don't understand computers very well, but, when I am calibrated on a bomb run and I jump to a gun position to defend myself, why do I have to re-calibrate the bomb sight again? Once it is calibrated, should it not stay calibrated until I have dropped bombs? I am not in a "gun" position when I calibrate, so again, why should it not stay calibrated until I leave the bomb sight position?

it does stay calibrated.

the sight is calibrated to a speed and an altitude.. if you change speed or altitude, it is no longer calibrated.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »
the sight is calibrated to a speed and an altitude.. if you change speed or altitude, it is no longer calibrated.

...and heading, in case you fly at any altitude that has wind (14k+)  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 10:59:16 PM »
...and heading, in case you fly at any altitude that has wind (14k+)  :old:
:airplane: Guys, I know and understand all that you just said, but how do I go from calibrate position to gun and then return to bomb sight...P>S I fly below 14k 99% of the time. I had always thought that once you left the "U" position and returned, you had to recalibrate! Is that not correct?
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2014, 07:42:55 AM »
:airplane: Guys, I know and understand all that you just said, but how do I go from calibrate position to gun and then return to bomb sight...P>S I fly below 14k 99% of the time. I had always thought that once you left the "U" position and returned, you had to recalibrate! Is that not correct?

No it's not. Your calibration stays set no matter what you do. If you didn't change speed or altitude, you are still fine.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 08:29:28 AM »
yep as long as the numbers match, you're fine.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 11:39:21 AM »

Tip I learned on my own, will give to you :).

When I see the target, I slow my speed down (if I haven't had time to get to max speed at level) to about 80%. Then calibrate, most of the time if you haven't reached max level speed and are calibrating, your calibration will be off because you gained 20+ MPH, this is also true if your altitude changes (as others have said).

That's what I do though, since I (most of the time) am not at max leveled speed.

Hope this helps.

:salute
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2014, 03:23:28 PM »
Tip I learned on my own, will give to you :).

When I see the target, I slow my speed down (if I haven't had time to get to max speed at level) to about 80%. Then calibrate, most of the time if you haven't reached max level speed and are calibrating, your calibration will be off because you gained 20+ MPH, this is also true if your altitude changes (as others have said).

That's what I do though, since I (most of the time) am not at max leveled speed.

Hope this helps.

:salute

also, its always easier to slow down to the calibrated speed...

eg. you're at 275 mph, but you know eventually you'll end up around 280... you do a quick calibration and it gives you 273.  just throttle back and maintain 273 instead of accelerating and trying to get your magic 280..
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
also, its always easier to slow down to the calibrated speed...

eg. you're at 275 mph, but you know eventually you'll end up around 280... you do a quick calibration and it gives you 273.  just throttle back and maintain 273 instead of accelerating and trying to get your magic 280..

Yup  that works too.
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 11:07:39 PM »

I use a twisty stick for flying and when I aiming my guns in a bomber I inadvertently also move my rudder control due to the control being very loose around that axis.  This would absolutely throw off your calibration if true. Adjusting the deadband would solve that.  I do not know if you can adjust it just for gunning, and not for flying.  Not to hijack, but if that is possible, please do tell.