Author Topic: I'll be back in a few days...  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: I'll be back in a few days...
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »
12 hours sucks and you know it.  :P

Create your own fun? You mean like that special event every Friday in the DA?  :D

I agree with Chilli. Fester map is a large map with 200+ bases but a good portion of those bases are the string of vbases right on the front lines. Not to mention the frontline bases are very focused and funnel action in quite nicely. If I remember correctly, Fester map has I think 4 front line bases (on each front) until you push past the line of vbases. That's 8 bases of possible quick instant action. That's far better than some of the other large 200+ base maps which have something like 8-15 front line bases on each front. Fester map was fairly good at keeping at least some action during the off hours while other large maps it was just a ghost town.

If the HQ were better defended this map would be great.   I haven't played in several days.   Absolutely fed up with the constant HQ mashing.  Borrrrrrrrrrring.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2014, 02:11:24 PM »
Hard map for guys wanting to win the war (which is good for creating combat).  Good map for action if you just want to fight.  Would be a great map for action if we could skip the 1-2 hour HQ downtimes.  No dar doesn't really bother me. But, it frustrates people and they log..that does bother me.

I like people to fly and GV against.  What planes are available, terrains, dar status, weather, skins, pretty trees, or odds of winning aren't high on my priority list.  I like big numbers.  It creates lots of choices on action.  I can furball awhile, help defend or take a base for awhile, get in a gv fight.    There is always a fight to be had even with low numbers, but stuff that keep people logged on helps with having more choices on what kind of fights a guy can choose from.

gray bars are easy to read.  it's the constant hq being down that is dumb.  then it's a 15 minute fly to bring it up.  I too log in see hq down then log off.

semp

This.  Except I don't even bother logging in at all any more.   I doubt I will try to any time soon...  With dar up it is a fun map.  Without, it is mostly frustrating.

I like that fog idea...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:17:33 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 02:30:16 PM »
It hasn't really been down in the past couple of days
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2014, 02:32:41 PM »
It hasn't really been down in the past couple of days

Oh, it has. Have seen HQs going down daily, yesterday at least 3 times I think.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
Oh, it has. Have seen HQs going down daily, yesterday at least 3 times I think.  :old:

Guess I've been lucky to play when it hasn't haha

I'm sure there is an easy fix to this issue with some remodeling.

Even the TT can go. There is no point for it.

It's a new map, it I will have issues. but I think overall it really gives players of all different styles something to do.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 02:54:33 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2014, 02:56:32 PM »
Guess I've been lucky to play when it hasn't haha

Well, that three times I observed myself was for different countries, so there was (at least during the times I was on) a good chance that one did not have to fly in the dark.  :old:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2014, 04:12:31 PM »
have to say in the limited time I've played on the map I've found fights easily. 

Fester has catered for every form of gameplay , GV on GV, Air to Gv and also been mindful of not running pesky GV spawns to every single airfield making them easy for a horde to capture.   Plenty of ocean for CV battles also.   

The bases are also pretty close together to save time to and from bases.  This is the most important thing!  There is nothing wrong with a map staying up all week if it means everyone is getting stuck in and fighting.   Maybe the war winning squads don't like it but hard cheese.   :)

Not to mention the rivers, valleys and mountains all look like he spent alot of time painting them by hand which is no mean feat if you have ever loaded up the Terrain editor. 
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2014, 05:40:57 PM »
Agree with everything Bruv said.   :rock

Vraciu does have a valid point concerning HQ, however that is NOT so much a flaw of this map as it is the variety of other fun activities on the map, defending HQ is a lower priority.  Which would you rather do, engage in a multiple player battle  :airplane: in 3 to 4 minutes, or fly a half hour to try and locate a singe player with 3 planes and multiple gunner positions?  :joystick: (Let's be realistic)

Fester himself did not arrange all of the strat placements due to some changes made in the game itself, some of his ideas we were not able to see in that area. 

Some of my good friends agree with the folks that don't like the map, and I always ask what they could possibly be upset about.  I think that mostly the answers are preconceptions about it being so large (thinking that means less fights - the opposite is true). 

The other complaint is that it was not as easily reset (really not a downside in my opinion, but I can imagine how others might want to see some change in scenery).  I on the other hand have seized the opportunity with the extended time in rotation to try several different types of game play, avoiding and vocally discouraging any attacks on HQ.  I have been rewarded nicely with extremely fun enemy engagements.  Only during the first 2 days of the tour did I find it difficult to find evenly manned dogfights (this is a normal occurrence with players jockeying for rank).

Offline Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2014, 08:55:17 PM »
Its a good map

Offline matt

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2014, 09:26:47 PM »
When This P.O.S Fester map is gone for a while...
i'll be back in 2hr  :furious

Offline Lab Rat 3947

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2014, 10:47:16 PM »
had a lot of fun last night.
It works for me.

Since I only fly P38s< i can always get a fight.
However< I really like this map.

I love the furball and I do like to JABO and kill bmbers.
I did all three last night.
Anyway, I like the map. My $0.02 worth.  :old:

By the way, <S> to all those I flew with and those that shot me down; including you Skyr <S>

LtngRydr
LtngRydr
14th FG Grounded

80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2014, 06:48:52 AM »
It amazes me to no end about the constant whining about the same things..

People seem to be incapable of making their own fun... People have this giant playground provided by HTC and even further terrains with all sorts of things to do... As for fights, ever try starting a fight? It's not too hard, fly something that looks tasty and not buzz around at 15K+... High altitude enemy or any sort scares most away, so if buzzing around anywhere give them a reason to fight or want to come out of the safety of their nice warm tower...

Just when I think you are a complete lunatic....you go and post something that makes so much sense its scary. Very well put Crabby  :aok :salute sir!
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2014, 06:31:51 PM »
I never understood why people log when the dar goes down  :headscratch:

The country Chanel still works, people put out alerts and you can always ask where the action is  :aok

Do you no dar I'm logging guys also leave the fight if someone kills the Radar tower at the base you are fighting at?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2014, 06:43:26 PM »
I never understood why people log when the dar goes down  :headscratch:

The country Chanel still works, people put out alerts and you can always ask where the action is  :aok

Do you no dar I'm logging guys also leave the fight if someone kills the Radar tower at the base you are fighting at?

Stupid question.  There is still a dar bar and base flash so not the same thing.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2014, 07:35:27 PM »
The map doesn't work for GVs at all, there's just relentless hording that is no fun to participate in or be on the receiving end of. It definitely does not work out of hours, which is when I'm able to log in, location and all. My opinion is based on a different experience to yours Chilli, which doesn't invalidate either position, however to get a fight or have a fun time in a GV I'd have to take time off work during the week or tell my kids to bog off in the weekend.

Until we have 600+ players logged in the big maps are just annoying.
Retired