Author Topic: War Thunder  (Read 7116 times)

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
Re: War Thunder
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2014, 12:27:32 PM »
#2 I agree, I think if there is a Free-to-Play option, that only 40 ENY (maybe some 35 eny) planes should be allowed. With some of the 30ENY being perked for the FTP'ers to use their perks on. Same system for bombers and GVs too.

Buying Power is one of the worst ways to make a Micro-transaction payment system. If you limit players to 40-30 eny AC, they will feel forced into paying to "even the playing field". Some will, but many will say no thanks and move on and make sure others don't bother to even look.

You need to give them a small selection of the best planes, i.e, 190A5, Typhoon, B-24 and a few others. In that list of F2P Aircraft, no Hero planes would be allowed. eg. P-51, F4U, Spit, 109 etc. These AC are what people will signup for. All other AC will be locked behind the paywall/Sub system, but they will have Achievements and a MUCH higher perk gain associated to Subbed members. The top Perk AC (Think jets) would be open to the F2Pers, but with the very slow grind for perks (maybe 1/20 normal earning).

Skins would need to be locked behind the paywall too.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
Yes, I do remember that.

At any rate, I'd much rather play Aces of the Pacific, 1942: Pacific Air War, or European Air War than Il-2.

Don't care if they're visually and even technically dated. AotP's features are STILL among the best of any sim I've played (five branches of service to fly; full scope of American involvement from Wake Island through the end of the war, and that's not even getting into the WWII: 1946 expansion; campaign, single-mission, historical mission, and ace duel modes; earning decorations for actions in combat). The strategy mode of PAW Gold was a LOT of fun, which really helped make up to an extent for the limited campaign (which was comprised entirely of missions you could also fly singly). And then EAW and its dynamic campaign (bonus for the PTO Total Conversion).

Sounds lida like Il2FB/1946 with DCG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxjGOLDFOz0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7VUpM5EPqY

The campaign generator will generate complete rosters for your squadron and your AI wingmen will increase in skill and rank the longer they stay alive and more kills they get. The ground war/sea war will change according to your success rate. However, you have to be somewhat computer-literate to sett it all up.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2014, 02:13:46 PM »
You seem like a very unbalanced person. ;)

There are several excellent third party campaigns available for Il-2. Case Blue and Case Yellow were excellent scripted campaigns, and then there's the very excellent DCG dynamic campaign generator.

Nothing unbalanced about hating scripted gameplay. I simply hate playing against bots. I hate screen captioning and the oh-so fake voice acting in the IL series. After I got introduced to online gaming I lost every bit of interest in scripted offline games.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2014, 05:24:17 PM »
I've been of the opinion that the Training and Early War Arenas should be free to play, with Mid War being available via some sort of perk buy-in. Access to the remaining arenas would be via subscription.

That will eliminate the danger of "Pay To Win" since any arenas F2P users can access will restrict plane availability to EVERYBODY in those arenas.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2014, 05:48:54 PM »
That would negate the one, major positive thing about F2P... the increase in number of players, since you put them in a separate arena from the paying customers. Why would anyone pay to fly in the LW arena if all the players are in EW?
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:24 PM »
One of the major downsides of F2P games is that the developers can be forced to spend more time developing for the 'item mall' than for the actual game content itself.  I honestly don't believe that AH would benefit switching to a F2P business model. 

I also don't think it would be beneficial for AH to be put on Steam either, unless HiTech feels that losing 30% of all transactions would be worth the loss of revenue on each subscription every month through Steam.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2014, 07:19:27 PM »
Everybody keeps talking about WT's player numbers, 8 million? I thought their arenas were limited to 20 players max? :headscratch:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
Everybody keeps talking about WT's player numbers, 8 million? I thought their arenas were limited to 20 players max? :headscratch:

They have a similar system like world of tanks where you go to lobby and then join small fights.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2014, 09:30:15 AM »
One of the major downsides of F2P games is that the developers can be forced to spend more time developing for the 'item mall' than for the actual game content itself.

I agree.  I tend to think that everything is on the table at this point, however.  If HTC commits to a course of action they will consider the impact to logistics and grow staff if needed.  The competition is not operating as a shop as small as HTC is today.

If business objectives change then the company will change...blah blah.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2014, 10:45:56 AM »
One of the major downsides of F2P games is that the developers can be forced to spend more time developing for the 'item mall' than for the actual game content itself.  I honestly don't believe that AH would benefit switching to a F2P business model. 

I also don't think it would be beneficial for AH to be put on Steam either, unless HiTech feels that losing 30% of all transactions would be worth the loss of revenue on each subscription every month through Steam.

ack-ack

I dont think going full f2p would work here, for a number of reasons, a few you mentioned.

I do think a limited set of planes and tanks for free, and it you want to play with ALL the big boy toys you get a subscription like the rest of us. 2 options only, and you only pay if you want to use the good stuff.

Free increases the number of players with out really costing HTC anything more, and some of the free players WILL subscribe.  Even if that percentage is small it is still an increase to HTC s coffers.

Seems like a win win to me.

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »
What if there was F2P for early war rides but only let them play in the late war arena and special events?
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2014, 11:22:23 AM »
What if there was F2P for early war rides but only let them play in the late war arena and special events?

That's what I'm saying. Give them access to 1 heavy bomber,1 medium bomber, the goon and couple of tanks. The p40, g2, spit8, and the d25.

The can play with those and still be a team player if they want, but if you want the good planes and tanks, subscribe.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2014, 11:26:55 AM »
That's what I'm saying. Give them access to 1 heavy bomber,1 medium bomber, the goon and couple of tanks. The p40, g2, spit8, and the d25.

With a free selection like that, I would unsubscribe in a heartbeat  :aok
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 11:28:37 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »

The can play with those and still be a team player if they want, but if you want the good planes and tanks, subscribe.
Agree. Just one other thing.   Allow them to use thier perks on a certain amount of tanks and planes.  Maybe tiger1 c-hog b-29,   .also make the heavy bomber the b-24. I would hate to see all the noobs flying 17s.  We have enough 999's
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2014, 12:02:40 PM »

You would need to provide a selection of competitive rides for each nation. But as I stated before they must not be or look like the hero planes. Aka, No 109s, Spits, P51, B17, Zeros.

Here is my list of AC that would be F2P:

British: Typhoon, Boston III, *Wellington, Hurricane MkIId. (Sea Hurricane for CV)

American: P-47 D40 (I feel this is the lest famous of the competitive fighters), B-24, B26 & P-40N (F6F for CV)

German: 190A5, Ju-88, Me-410

Japan: KI-43, KI-61, KI-67. (D3A and a *A5M for CV)

Russian: Yak-7b, Yak-9U, TU-2.

C-47 would be FTP.

Me-262, Me163 and Ar234, would be open for F2P, but the perk grind for them would be 10-20 times longer then currently. The reason I say these AC and not say a F4U-4, is that the 262 etc, are much stronger incentives to fly. People see that they are jets and go "Give me, Give me". Most would not have a clue how a F4U-4 is better then a F4U-1d.

*Added to the game at some point