Author Topic: Panzer Tank Sights - a turn for the worse  (Read 926 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Panzer Tank Sights - a turn for the worse
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2000, 11:24:00 PM »
No Nash, you did nothing wrong, that is the way it works.  Ironic situation.

Pyro, I tried what you suggested, it helps.
Not perfect, but it helps.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Hans

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2000, 01:37:00 AM »
Nash, use "Panning veiw" and slew the viewpoint down so you looking at the bottom of the rangefinder scale.

Hans.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2000, 02:15:00 AM »
You can get way more zoom in AH than on a real WW2 tank, I'll bet. In fact I think only German tanks had magnification on the main gun optics?

I don't think tanks should be able to shoot down planes with their main gun unless it's a freak occurence. I've never heard of tanks shooting down planes with the main gun in WW2.

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2000, 03:07:00 AM »
hiya all:

juzz, in WWII a tank would shoot its main gun at a plane, they would throw cans of beans if they thought it might do any good. but when a plane showed up, everybody shot what every they had handy, and a very lucky shot from main gun would be all that was needed. so yes they did try, wheather or not one ever hit, i have no idea.

blue skies all

wolf37
C.O.
THUNDERBIRDS

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2000, 11:03:00 AM »
Its funny that you can shoot down an aircraft with a tank, but it takes the cooperation of the aircraft pilot.  He has to be willing (and so many are) to fly at low level straight and level at the tank allowing the tank gunner to draw a bead with the cannon.  It then becomes possible to get the plane with the cannon.

I once watched a guy with a 38 cal pistol firing regular bullets shooting skeet coming at him, and he was hitting them all.  Same principal.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

BigJoe

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2000, 01:17:00 AM »
why are american optics used in a german tank?

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2000, 03:32:00 PM »

Originally posted by BigJoe:
why are american optics used in a german tank?

I wondered myself  

Would like to see the typical German optics with the windage marks to the right and left of the sighting triangle. I believe the range-finder ticks are in the right-upper part of the scope and moves the main sighting triangle up and down accordingly.

-Jig

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2000, 03:40:00 PM »
Tanks are definatly much harder to kill now then in previos versions.
The main armement of the tanks should be very difficult(impossible?) to bring to bear on any half ways intelligent jabo.
The turrent MG should traverse 360 degrees.
The tank should have some form of smoke discharger that does not require the Main armement to use but only smokes off itself.

Offline Badger

• Copper Member
      • Military Surplus Collectors Forums
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2000, 05:11:00 PM »

Originally posted by Pongo:
The turrent MG should traverse 360 degrees.  The tank should have some form of smoke discharger that does not require the Main armement to use but only smokes off itself.

100% correct....

MG is full 360 as turret cupola ring rotates on ball bearings to fire the MG mount from any compass rose position.

Local smoke was available from dischargers on turret and were ejected outwards to create enough bad visibility diversion to get out of dodge.  Primarily used when ambushed unexpectedly by in-close enemy.

Regards,
Badger