Author Topic: Panzer Tank Sights - a turn for the worse  (Read 925 times)

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Panzer Tank Sights - a turn for the worse
« on: June 24, 2000, 10:24:00 AM »
I am pretty unhappy with the change to the Panzer sights.  I really enjoyed tanking, would do it fairly often.  Now, I dont enjoy it at all.

More than ever, the panzer is now just meat on the hook to any plane with a cannon.  With the little peep sight on the turret, you cannot see anything to get your turret oriented.   If you zoom in, the turret view has a very limited field of view, and turret movement is so slow then, you cant engage anyway.  I enjoyed using the turrets mg to shoot at enemy planes.  Cant anymore.

The gun in the tank commanders postion (key3) has limited traverse, and doesnt allow the option of a cannon shot.  Feels like shooting a pea shooter against a 12 gauge.

I used to think I had at least a small chance in the tank, now I feel that has been reduced to zero.  For me personnaly, I feel the tank, one of the big draws to AH for me, has been effectively removed from the game.

I hope HTC will reevaluate this change if more feel like I do.

Dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline ra

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2000, 11:28:00 AM »
Dago,

The zoom feature can be further zoomed with the ']' and '[' keys, giving you all the zoom you could possible want.

Also, it is my understanding that strafing tanks is no longer nearly as easy as it was before 1.03.

HaHa

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2000, 11:43:00 AM »
Yah except ack kills tanks within seconds now. Furthermore it's just as impossible to kill ack as it was before in a tank.

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2000, 11:54:00 AM »
RA, maybe I didnt make it clear, but I have tanked alot.  I know all about the zoom features including the [ and ] zoom controls.

Here's what you do, zoom in with ], then try like hell to find the cannon equipped plane attacking you, then try to keep a gun on him.

It really doesnt work.  To get a decent sight picture, you have to zoom way in.  Then your field of view is too limited, and you cant move your turret very fast, and it is too sensitive.

My feeling right now is, players will get tired of being completly helpless and will stop using tanks.  I might be wrong, but that is what I suspect may happen.

Dago

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2000, 12:58:00 PM »
I think the pnzr sights are fantastic now.  With the recoil it makes tanking for me all the much more fun and it balances pnzr versus pnzr.

Okay, you don't get to shoot as well with the turret MG and I don't have much use for that now, but the Tank Commander MG more than makes up for it.  

Personally I love the change, been getting loads of kills and all were against other pnzrs or defending fields against pnzrs/planes.

'Nexx'

[This message has been edited by Replicant (edited 06-24-2000).]
NEXX

Offline Pyro

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2000, 01:09:00 PM »
We may be able to make some improvements.  One workaround for now may be to use your alternate forward view.  Just hold down the forward view and move your head position all the way forward.  This will help get you a little more fov.  When you're ready to fire, just release the forward view and go into zoom mode.

------------------
Doug "Pyro" Balmos
HiTech Creations

"I say old boy, why don't you shut up and die like a man?"

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2000, 01:16:00 PM »
And SOME kind of turrent orientation device  

A  centering key would be nice too  

- Jig

Offline Azrael

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2000, 01:22:00 PM »
What... you use your main gun to shoot at planes? tsts...

The new sight may look restrictive in zoomed out mode, but I think you shouldn't expect to view the whole world through a tank gunsight.

Another 'workaround' would be to use external view, btw.

Az

------------------
381st BG (H)
"Triumphant we fly"

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2000, 01:32:00 PM »
Thanks for the responce Pyro, hope something comes out that will find be a good compromise.  I will try what you suggested.

I find the recoil amusing, and accurate.

And yes, hehehe, I would shoot my cannon at planes.  For two reasons, one, if a dweeb flew in low and steady right at me, I had some decent luck hitting them.  And two, often taking that wild bellybutton shot at one flying by at a distance, hoping someday to swat one wildly out of the sky for a big laugh.

Dago

Offline SC-GreyBeard

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/oneshot/main.htm
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2000, 01:57:00 PM »
Actually, I've found just the opposite to be true Dago.

I've had at least 5 sorties with 10 or more AC kills since 1.03. And it seems I survive straffing attacks MUCH more than before. (like maybe 80% of them now, compared to only surviving about 20% before.)
More often it's because the plane flew into the ground trying to get me... but what  the hey.

The turret MG still works, in addition to the topside MG,, I think they should be hooked together (like the bombers gun) though, so you do have the option to fire main gun at same time. (using whatever key you've assigned to it.) What I would also like to see is the ability to traverse the turret while being in the upper gun position, definately need that.. Having to go back inside, turn turret, move to pos. 3 re-aquire target is a pain.

I'm slowly getting use to the sight, taking me a bit, though I haven't had much in the way of tank\tank battles yet.

I do however, think that an HE shell can be lobbed a heck of a lot further than about 3500 meters, (about the current range for them) Seems to me they've been shortened up WAY to much.

------------------
GreyBeard, Squadron Leader
Commander, "E" Flight, Aces High
Senior Staff Council
"The Skeleton Crew"
"Fly with Honor"[/i]
"Keepin' the Faith"

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2000, 02:04:00 PM »
Dago, did you noticed the top turret MG accessible by hitting the '3' key?
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2000, 07:58:00 PM »
Frenchy, did you read my original post?  

Ziegller

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2000, 09:00:00 PM »
Dago,
I totally agree with you.  And you made your point in a kind and polite way.  If you want to hit an attacking plane with the cannon, you have to zoom, but you it is almost impossible to follow the plane because when you are zoomed, the cannon turns so slowly.  The top gun, (#3), does not have near enough firepower to take down an attacking plane.  As Pyro said though, give them time, they do their job well, and it takes a lot of programming and time to make a game like this.  I also think that when in a panzer, it should show you how far away the ack is, like an icon on a plane.  That would make it easier to hit the ack.
Ziegller of SFRT

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2000, 10:06:00 PM »

Originally posted by Ziegller:
Dago,
The top gun, (#3), does not have near enough firepower to take down an attacking plane.  
Ziegller of SFRT

Actually it's more powerful than you think and well placed shots can down planes either directly or through hitting their radiator or oil cooler etc.  Then other attacking planes might crash attacking you, either way you get the kill.  Okay, you can't use your main gun on planes as much though I did manage to destroy a plane today with my main gun. I can't get enough of the revised Pnzr, such an improvement!  

'Nexx'  

NEXX

Offline Nash

• Plutonium Member
      • http://sbm.boomzoom.org/
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2000, 10:39:00 PM »
One thing I haven't heard mentioned is the fact that when you zoom in, the range finder starts to drop outta view. From the farthest distance to the nearest.

In other words, the farther the enemy tank, the more you need to zoom in... The more you zoom in, the more the range finder for that distance gets dropped off the bottom of the screen.

Or just as easily... I could be doing something wrong. Does anyone else find the same thing?