Author Topic: NFL has  (Read 1632 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Re: NFL has
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2014, 01:27:37 PM »
yes I've see the pictures and like I've said I hope he gets what he deserves under the laws in this country... what I am talking about is the way that social media ie. facebook, twitter, AND mainstream media will attack/judge/jury/ someone or some cause because of their own personal feelings before any of the facts are out or the trial starts... I guess that's what I'm trying to come acrossed with, there's a difference between a disciplinary spanking for doing something wrong and a beating.... Mr Peterson crossed the line, now it's up to the courts to decide how much he crossed the line not social media..
This has been going on since before newspapers were invented. Just a more rapid and freely accessed media now. What's really changed is society's acceptance of hitting women and children.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2014, 08:19:12 PM »
I can tell you as a child of the 60's, I had to pick my own switch (tree branch, usually from a Willow)
to get stung across the legs. I also got beat with Hot Wheels track sections, a belt, a broom, etc.
I raised 3 Daughters and only smacked their hands when getting near stovetop, if it was on.
I punished them by making them stand in a corner of a room for a few minutes.
I never whipped mine. Spanking only causes resentment and in many cases, physical damage.
It can also lead to Psychological issues.
                                                                                                                                              :cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2014, 10:33:23 PM »
isn't social media and the news great, your trial is social media and the news media and then you're found guilty without even setting foot in a court of law.... sickening.

They are just testing it out for the future application to all.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 01:35:07 AM »
I can tell you as a child of the 60's, I had to pick my own switch (tree branch, usually from a Willow)
to get stung across the legs. I also got beat with Hot Wheels track sections, a belt, a broom, etc.
I raised 3 Daughters and only smacked their hands when getting near stovetop, if it was on.
I punished them by making them stand in a corner of a room for a few minutes.
I never whipped mine. Spanking only causes resentment and in many cases, physical damage.
It can also lead to Psychological issues.
                                                                                                                                              :cheers: Oz

Same here. My mother got tired of breaking wooden spoons on me so she went out and got a length of hardwood flooring. And this was prior to kindergarden.

My father was worse.
My grandfather was worse on his kids then that.

None of this is PC today. And there lies the difference.

Anyone here never make a mistake with their kids? Of course not. AP (and for the record I was caling for the team to trade him years ago) was just raising his kids the way he was raised. The way many of us were raised. and the way many kids still are today whos parents werent or arent under the microscopic spotlight. If joe blow down the street did the same thing would anyone care? Would the media be all over it? Nope
Did you know that LEOS have a greater instance of domestic violence then the NFL and is actually twice that of the general public. (Before anyone jumps on me about it do a simple google search) Where is the media outrage?

Personally if it were my team AP would be held out for 2 games then play. I think in his mind he was doing the right thing. I dont think he intended to do damage and I think he is intelligent enough to learn from this. Plus he is now being paid millions of dollars for sitting.

The endorsement dollars will still roll in for the League and the teams. They, like the media are just milking this for money. The media for ratings and the companies because its good PR. But have no doubt. The NFL is under no risk of loosing Pepsi money. The NFL is and will remain one of the largest spectator sports in the world. Despite any sabre rattling to the contrary.There is no way they or any other company is going miss out on reaching that many people with advertising because someone smacked their girlfriend or spanked their kid.

Personally Im tired of hearing about it already. For the media this is just the "next big thing" to get everyone in an uproar for ratings and they will milk it for all its worth.
Remember the plight of the honey bee? Killer Bees,The AR-15, Airline safety, or any of 100 other stories that were big for a while so long as the public stayed interested. And there were no other big stories happening they milked it. Soon as the next big story breaks we wil be again onto something else

Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 02:55:56 AM »
We had a strict rule in my family, beatings began when you were of age to come home with a report card and roll your eyes and pffft when asked about why you didn't do better.

Seriously, times have changed, many of you have points that are valid, but AP's texts to baby mama don't lead me to believe he is very intelligent.

You are right, the media did troll us with this, but what are they going to talk about, the economy, ISIS, jobs, 1/3 of the country on food stamps? Yeah, not on 4/5 major networks they aren't. So this is where we are, I'm a life long fan of football and the Redskins, I've been watching standards drop for years about player behavior, of course the same thing I'd say about pop culture, music, movies; thankfully there is still hunting and fishing, for now.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:26:53 AM by RotBaron »
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 08:24:31 AM »
I've been watching standards drop for years about player behavior

Believe it or not. Standards of player behavior havent changed all that much over the years. Read the book "Fatso" by Art Donovan for some insight as to the kinds of things players such as Dan Reeves and Tom Landry did in their player days.

What has changed are the things reporters and the media are willing to expose.

20-30 years ago the AP incident would have been. AP spanked his kid..so what.
Now its AP spanked his kid??? OMG!!
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 09:12:33 AM »
20-30 years ago the AP incident would have been. AP spanked his kid..so what.
Now its AP spanked his kid??? OMG!!

And as you can see, some changes in the world are for the better  :aok
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »

Thing is we dont like others telling us how to raise our kids here.

In my time Ive had to make many judgement calls on what is abuse and what isnt. Mind you I was whipped more times then a rented mule as a kid and for the most part I had it coming. If there are visible marks on the kid and/or the kid is to young, then there might be a problem. And the "problems" have ranged from a 2yo sex assault victim, to a  6yo girl beat to death, to a loud mouth 16yo jerk off who called 911 cause the old man finally gave him the crack he needed 6 years before. Its very uncomfortable for me, to be in a mans "castle" like that and have to stick my nose in their personal business. For any reason of that type.

Im just glad with my kid the threat of taking his X-box away or his I-net connection always brought him to heel. It might take a day or two but eventually I'd hear him tip toeing downstairs to say "Papa Im sorry". Lol it was the only time he'd use the word "Papa".

I'll say this tho. A 4yo with those kind of visible injuries isnt something the Law is going to just walk away from nowdays.

Did you know that LEOS have a greater instance of domestic violence then the NFL and is actually twice that of the general public. (Before anyone jumps on me about it do a simple google search) Where is the media outrage?
Everyone of ours are documented and penalties are harsh. I suspect far less of the NFLs "their rich remember" or the general piblics are even documented. And if they dont hit paper then they dont hit google right?
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
Same here. My mother got tired of breaking wooden spoons on me so she went out and got a length of hardwood flooring. And this was prior to kindergarden.

My father was worse.
My grandfather was worse on his kids then that.

Yeah I'm sure they were

There's a ridiculous disconnect in this thread where people are saying "You know, I was awful as a kid, so my parents beat me. Luckily my kids are well behaved so I don't have to beat them". Do you not see the correlation here? Beating is not an effective form of punishment. It makes kids act out more and turns them into violent adults.

You don't beat your children, don't defend people who beat their children.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »

Based on what I see from much of todays youth. I totally disagree. There are a good many of them in dire need of a beating. Welts and all
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2014, 04:06:35 PM »

Everyone of ours are documented and penalties are harsh. I suspect far less of the NFLs "their rich remember" or the general piblics are even documented. And if they dont hit paper then they dont hit google right?

Still. Twice the national average of the general population. With that kind of ratio where is the media outrage? Its not there because its not glamorous enough

The rich element is exactly why one would expect to see more of it reported on NFL players if it were really happening. An awful lot of women would be in line for a nice payday by reporting it. Much more so then with law enforcement
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2014, 04:14:00 PM »
Yeah I'm sure they were
(Image removed from quote.)

There's a ridiculous disconnect in this thread where people are saying "You know, I was awful as a kid, so my parents beat me. Luckily my kids are well behaved so I don't have to beat them". Do you not see the correlation here? Beating is not an effective form of punishment. It makes kids act out more and turns them into violent adults.

You don't beat your children, don't defend people who beat their children.

As my son would say. Correlation does not equal causation

If it did then

And

And

Not beating your kid doesnt mean he will or will not become a criminal. Nor does beating them.

If so. the correlation would show that most everyone before 1970 was a criminal because most kids were beaten before that
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2014, 05:54:28 PM »
As my son would say. Correlation does not equal causation

If it did then

And

And

Not beating your kid doesnt mean he will or will not become a criminal. Nor does beating them.

If so. the correlation would show that most everyone before 1970 was a criminal because most kids were beaten before that

No, you just have to look at any psychological or sociological study done in the past half century to find what the cause is.

http://www.apa.org/pi/prevent-violence/resources/violent-behavior.aspx

http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/prod/lc/qalc.nsf/ad22cc96ba50555dca257051007aa5c8/ca25707400260aa3ca25706f0001d5c8!OpenDocument

http://newswise.com/articles/view/543603/

http://www.comm.umn.edu/~akoerner/courses/4471-F12/Readings/Gershoff%20(2002).pdf

Very many people think science and research are scary and evil, though, so you sometimes have to use less logically sound means of addressing wrongs (if anyone trusted psychologists about the psychology of beating children this wouldn't even be a debate). The correlation is a very nice illustration for this. Also a good refutation of 'if beating is so bad, why are things so much worse now than they were before?' rose-colored glasses nonsense. And yes, instances of violent crime were well over twice (!!!) as common in the 70s as they were ten years ago, so again you can't say "well if corporal punishment is so bad things would've been awful". They were. You were a kid and didn't see it. Rose colored glasses.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:47:13 PM by Motherland »

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2014, 09:33:19 PM »
Still. Twice the national average of the general population. With that kind of ratio where is the media outrage? Its not there because its not glamorous enough

The rich element is exactly why one would expect to see more of it reported on NFL players if it were really happening. An awful lot of women would be in line for a nice payday by reporting it. Much more so then with law enforcement

Is that how it works? Geez after over 30 years of this stuff I had always thought there were two standards of justice. One for the poor and working and one for the rich and famous. Thanks for educating me. I had no idea the system was on the up and up. :lol
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2014, 08:23:54 AM »

Very many people think science and research are scary and evil, though, so you sometimes have to use less logically sound means of addressing wrongs (if anyone trusted psychologists about the psychology of beating children this wouldn't even be a debate). The correlation is a very nice illustration for this. Also a good refutation of 'if beating is so bad, why are things so much worse now than they were before?' rose-colored glasses nonsense. And yes, instances of violent crime were well over twice (!!!) as common in the 70s as they were ten years ago, so again you can't say "well if corporal punishment is so bad things would've been awful". They were. You were a kid and didn't see it. Rose colored glasses.

and just like the GW alarmists you cherry pick your data.

Violent crime was at a high in the 70s, 80s and 90s

It is difficult to acertain what the violent crime rate was before 1960 as the definitions changed over the years. but if we were to look at the homicide rate (because as you like to use it correlates witht eh violent crime rate)

Did people suddenly stop spanking during the 40's and 50's then start again during the 60's?
I doubt it.

Correlation does not equal causation
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 08:25:25 AM by DREDIOCK »
Death is no easy answer
It ain't pretty