Author Topic: LED TV as a monitor?  (Read 1075 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
LED TV as a monitor?
« on: September 20, 2014, 11:24:09 AM »
I'm looking for input and advice on a "I don't know what I don't know" idea.

My current 24" monitor came with the system and is connected via a DVI connection on the monitor.  The monitor has a 60hz refresh rate.  Here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to use an LED tv as a monitor?

2.  What connection issues would there be?

3.  I found a 32" LED TV at Costco with a 120hz refresh rate for $229.  Would it be a workable solution?

4.  If #3 is workable as a monitor, would it be possible to use the 24" as a second monitor to display the                     clipboard,etc.

Thanks in advance for your advice.   :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: LED TV as a monitor?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:35:54 AM »
I used a 39 inch LED tv connected with an HDMI cable though I have the sound disabled through the TV. My TV is 60hz but a 120 would work as well.

I also use a second monitor that is 29 inches. I use it as a picture holder while I draw on the larger screen. In the game you wont be able to "use" the second screen with out "alt-tab" out of the game. You can however post up a picture/map/plan on the second as you can view it, but cant interact with it.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 11:53:46 AM »
Thanks Fugitive!  I'm not sure about the cable connection from the computer.  What kind of plug in do you have on the computer end of your monitor's HDMI cable.  Again, I don't know what I don't know.   :D

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 01:40:24 PM »
Thanks Fugitive!  I'm not sure about the cable connection from the computer.  What kind of plug in do you have on the computer end of your monitor's HDMI cable.  Again, I don't know what I don't know.   :D

OK, I have a Nvidia 670 video card. The back side has four connections. I use the HDMI to my TV and I use the DVI-D to my monitor as my second screen. In windows I have it set as "extended" so I can move the mouse from screen to screen, but like I said, Aces High doesn't run in "windowed mode" so you cant move the mouse out of the game screen with out "alt-tab".

If your card only has the DVI plug and your tv only has the HDMI you can get a cable that will convert/connect. They cost the same as an HDMI cable.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »
Hey Fugi, do you get 60fps showing on that 60hz TV when you're in games?  I'm assuming that a 120hz TV would show 120fps as a max then as well, is that correct? 

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 05:09:16 PM »
OK, I have a Nvidia 670 video card. The back side has four connections. I use the HDMI to my TV and I use the DVI-D to my monitor as my second screen. In windows I have it set as "extended" so I can move the mouse from screen to screen, but like I said, Aces High doesn't run in "windowed mode" so you cant move the mouse out of the game screen with out "alt-tab".

If your card only has the DVI plug and your tv only has the HDMI you can get a cable that will convert/connect. They cost the same as an HDMI cable.

Thanks Fugi!  Zactly what I needed yo know.  Another question, will a 120 hz tv produce upwards of 120 or am I talking apples and oranges?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 05:28:46 PM »
Hey Fugi, do you get 60fps showing on that 60hz TV when you're in games?  I'm assuming that a 120hz TV would show 120fps as a max then as well, is that correct? 

Actually no you wont get 120 frames!   I have a 47 in 240HZ 3d LED and used it as a monitor for a short while and it would only run at 60Hz on the computer. Presently I use a 55 in LG led that runs 120Hz but again it only runs a 60hz refreshrate.

I'm not sure exactly why this is the case but it's been my experience so far.

Puma,dont bother with a small tv,if you are going to go that route,get a 39 in or larger screen,personally I would say get a 47 or larger then you can open the clipboard and reduce it's size and leave it open up in a corner of the screen and you will still see more than most!

My 55 is equal to 6 24 in monitors,3 across and 2 high will be about the same area I view.  My plan is to go with an 80 in 4K screen as soon as they will run 60FPS.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »
OK, it's apples and oranges then.  Thanks Morf!  I'll expand my search envelope. 

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 06:21:04 PM »
OK, it's apples and oranges then.  Thanks Morf!  I'll expand my search envelope. 

Be sure to look at response times,they can vary greatly and this can have an effect on gaming.  While some tv's have great colour or great contrast or even both they may be lacking in response..

That said there have been many changes since I last checked but I found the TV's with the best response to be either samsung or LG.

Oh and dont bother with a "smart" tv,if you plan to connect a computer to the TV the smart aspec is moot. So save the cash and get a larger nonsmart type. as all they really are is a tv with a browser builtin and the computer works much better for surfing the web anyways.

:salute

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 09:42:40 PM »
I use a samsung LED tv   Mine is a 40 inch 60hz, and works great,,  the difference will blow you away
Flying since tour 71.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 10:40:07 PM »
Thanks Fugi!  Zactly what I needed yo know.  Another question, will a 120 hz tv produce upwards of 120 or am I talking apples and oranges?

Im not sure. You can set your desktop to 120hz IF your screen and video are able to do it. If you set your video card to control the refresh rate AND the game is capable to put out 120hz I don't see why it wouldn't do it. I have never had a 120hz capable system to test so it's only a guess.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2014, 12:13:31 AM »
Thanks much for the input gents.  I appreciate it.  Morf, you mentioned response time.  What value should I be looking for?

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2014, 02:45:01 AM »
I use a 32" Vizio  and I love it.
Top Gun

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »
Thanks much for the input gents.  I appreciate it.  Morf, you mentioned response time.  What value should I be looking for?

The quicker the better. As Morph has suggested before, have the salesman hook up a laptop and see how it works at the store. Run a video or two watch the cursor to see if it blurs as you move it across the screen. 

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 11:02:03 AM »
I will take 5760x1080,  that difference will actually blow you away.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC