Author Topic: Ki-84 vs. Brain Surgery  (Read 9603 times)

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
Re: Ki-84 vs. Brain Surgery
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2014, 10:22:14 AM »
Interesting discussion. My thoughts why ki84 is NOT so popular is the fact that you have to be aware of your speed, constantly. You can climb, but you have to be extra carefull when turning the nose downwards on full throttle. Unlike spits and 109s that can be used pretty freely for picking from high alt for example (conserving energy), in Ki you have to bleed your E on certain situations just so you avoid ripping off your parts...

btw. Being a regular spit dweeb I find it interesting that people tend to call spit8 such an uber plane, when in fact it is so darn slow you have to actually fight your way out of the trouble instead of speeding up and disappearing to the setting sun when there is any trouble. But i suppose the discussion here considers only the turnfight abilites, instead of air combat in general?

Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2014, 11:36:11 AM »
Some of the opinions regarding Spit vs. Ki-84 seem to conflict with this result:

Yup.  Some years ago there was an AvA setup pitting the Spit 8 against the Frank.  Two very good squadrons came into the arena most nights that week, switching sides each night.  The Frank came out on top every time.  Really, it didn't even seem close.

- oldman
Myself, having not extensively dueled Spit8/16 against Ki-84, I cannot say. I do know that from an outside perspective, the Ki-84 seems to present roughly the same problems as the Spit16, while absorbing more damage before it falls.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2014, 11:43:02 AM »
Big fan of the Ki-84.  Poor high speed handling means you're forced to mix it up... my style

+1

And you have to fight it out... no running
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2014, 11:43:31 AM »
Its official.  The winner of this thread is the side that said the KI is a great plane but not the best.  Oh wait, that was everyone on either side except INK.  :D
AMAX  in game

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2014, 11:49:32 AM »
Interesting discussion. My thoughts why ki84 is NOT so popular is the fact that you have to be aware of your speed, constantly. You can climb, but you have to be extra carefull when turning the nose downwards on full throttle. Unlike spits and 109s that can be used pretty freely for picking from high alt for example (conserving energy), in Ki you have to bleed your E on certain situations just so you avoid ripping off your parts...
109s and Spits other than the 16 loose so much in elevator and aileron control respectively at high airspeeds that they aren't great boom and zoom gun platforms either though.

btw. Being a regular spit dweeb I find it interesting that people tend to call spit8 such an uber plane, when in fact it is so darn slow

SpitVIII compared to the F4U-1C, a perked plane very few think of as especially "slow".

"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2014, 11:53:24 AM »
109s and Spits other than the 16 loose so much in elevator and aileron control respectively at high airspeeds that they aren't great boom and zoom gun platforms either though.

Yeah, but the spits don't come apart as easily at speed.  They just get uncontrollable, like the 109s.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
Actually the Ki-84 can hardly be called "slow" either. Should be able to easily out-distance the Hurris, Brews, Fm2s, etc that overmatch it in a turn-fight.

+1

And you have to fight it out... no running

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: September 23, 2014, 01:18:41 PM »
Actually the Ki-84 can hardly be called "slow" either. Should be able to easily out-distance the Hurris, Brews, Fm2s, etc that overmatch it in a turn-fight.
(Image removed from quote.)

Brew vs KI in a dive....who wins? Same can be said with hurricane.  A KI with either of these birds E+ to is an easy kill
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: September 23, 2014, 01:34:45 PM »
Brew vs KI in a dive....who wins? Same can be said with hurricane.  A KI with either of these birds E+ to is an easy kill

A more maneuverable plane with E in a dive is a problem for any less-maneuverable aircraft. A Brewster with E is a problem even for a Tempest. That's hardly something limited to the Ki-84. I'm not sure why such a ridiculously-obvious attempt is even being made to this point.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 01:36:26 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: September 23, 2014, 02:21:20 PM »
A more maneuverable plane with E in a dive is a problem for any less-maneuverable aircraft. A Brewster with E is a problem even for a Tempest. That's hardly something limited to the Ki-84. I'm not sure why such a ridiculously-obvious attempt is even being made to this point.
KI has almost no high speed maneuverability....where a Temp, Dora, 51, F4U and the list goes on can at least make a move to get separation then reset the fight. In a 152 I can force an overshoot in this situation a lot easier then in a KI.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: September 23, 2014, 02:58:48 PM »
KI has almost no high speed maneuverability....where a Temp, Dora, 51, F4U and the list goes on can at least make a move to get separation then reset the fight. In a 152 I can force an overshoot in this situation a lot easier then in a KI.

Please define, in relevant, measurable terms, your statement of "no high speed maneuverability."
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
190 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2014, 03:52:38 PM »
People highly underestimate how fast you can get an F4U  and still deploy flaps and how quickly it can slow down. This is deadly for planes like a ki84 that cant turn as quickly at high speeds. If you can get around in them pretty quickly, you can still follow them up and get some good hits from d500-d800. If that Ki84 tries to slow down as quickly as you, you will easily be able to roll inside them as you can slow down more quickly and you will be able to get some shots.  That being said, vs a really good ki84 pilot you may have to fly defensively in order to get a counter punch reversal shot, as they will be attempting nothing but soaring high loops. I had this type of fight last night and won by good defensive flying, grannit he had more E and alt to start the fight but made a mistake trying to roll over too early rather than doing a high loop.

You really have to have some good SA in the KI84 because once those hi 190Ds and p51s come in, getting away from them is difficult and getting ganged is highly likely. In an arena full of fast fighters and "extenders" the ki84 is difficult to be successful in during these occurances. 

The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2014, 10:43:01 PM »
a good KI stick will not get it to the point its uncontrollable...or try not to...some times target fixation gets the best of everyone. :rofl

I do agree that is a weakness :aok

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2014, 12:19:58 AM »
Please define, in relevant, measurable terms, your statement of "no high speed maneuverability."
it doesn't need further explaining...just fly one for a tour and you will find this weakness very quickly.
DFC Member
"Yikes"

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2014, 12:23:27 AM »
ki84 vs f4u

the better pile-it will win.  sure on paper the f4u looks really good, but the ki in game is a beast.  Like lets look at the brewster...looks terrible on paper, but a monster in game  :rofl
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3