Author Topic: Can you kill a PT with a torp?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
Can you kill a PT with a torp?
« on: September 22, 2014, 02:27:24 PM »
Can you kill a PT with a torp? I always wanted to know and have tried a few times but it is extremely difficult.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
Re: Can you kill a PT with a torp?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 02:36:21 PM »
I dont think you can. I may be wrong though. I dont think a PT sits low enough in the water to be hit by a torp.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 02:41:07 PM »
Yes. You can.
See Rule #4

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 04:16:08 PM »
Good to know. BYW, you can have a collision with another bailed pilot.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 09:16:08 PM »
Can you kill a PT with a torp? I always wanted to know and have tried a few times but it is extremely difficult.
personally I cant kill anything with a  torp either from pt or from an a/c. I remember someone held a clinic but was unable o make it. Any tips would be appreciated. :aok
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 10:26:00 PM »
Yes, or at least we used to be able to kill PT's with torps.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 12:06:21 AM »
Quickest way to find out is the have someone tag along with ya to the EWA.  One ups a PT, the other ups a B5N. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 03:22:49 AM »
personally I cant kill anything with a  torp either from pt or from an a/c. I remember someone held a clinic but was unable o make it. Any tips would be appreciated. :aok

You need a huge lead with the torps, thats probably the problem. And if you drop the torps from a plane you need to slow down to almost stall speed and hug the water, otherwise the torps just splash to the bottom. Basically if anyone is in a 5" you're dead before you're close enough to release.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 05:02:11 AM »
You need a huge lead with the torps, thats probably the problem. And if you drop the torps from a plane you need to slow down to almost stall speed and hug the water, otherwise the torps just splash to the bottom. Basically if anyone is in a 5" you're dead before you're close enough to release.
YEha I just have no idea what the aiming points are lol.
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 06:40:13 AM »

Below 200ft agl and under 200mph.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 07:13:03 AM »
The googles found this http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/flightsims/aces_high/torpedoBombing/torpedoDrop.htm and this http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/torpedoes/torpedoes.htm
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »
Below 200ft agl and under 200mph.

250 mph for American planes.

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 08:35:51 AM »
The thing with AH is you don't need to worry at all about how far you drop your torps.  Providing you live through the auto-ack (and of course NO ONE is in any of them), you can almost drop them onto the ships and they will detonate when they hit.  For me, thanks to Aces of the Pacific, I drop them from a bit of distance a majority of the time.  Once in a blue moon I'll scoot to almost point blank range.  It's a guaranteed hit when you do that.  Even if someone spots and tries to evade, you will hit.  I have sunk a couple of CV's by almost literally flying into them before dropping my torpedo.  Don't know how I managed to get through what was left of the auto-ack, but I did. :)  Kate's are not known to take hits too well. :lol
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 08:53:45 AM »
Never successfully torped a ship from a plane have scored 60 CV's down in a tour with PT boat.

The key is your position relative to the CV group's direction and how many other friendlies are around.

With too many friendlies, the cv will turn as a friendly spends himself against the hull in a poorly planned attack and your newly launched torps miss the boats.

Since torps run about the same speed as a CV group, you have to be positioned almost directly in front of a cv coming toward you.

If you see me on, ask about torping from a PT boat and I will demonstrate the technique.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 01:36:13 PM »
Never successfully torped a ship from a plane have scored 60 CV's down in a tour with PT boat.

The key is your position relative to the CV group's direction and how many other friendlies are around.

With too many friendlies, the cv will turn as a friendly spends himself against the hull in a poorly planned attack and your newly launched torps miss the boats.

Since torps run about the same speed as a CV group, you have to be positioned almost directly in front of a cv coming toward you.

If you see me on, ask about torping from a PT boat and I will demonstrate the technique.

You need to get lucky to have no manned 5" at the time of attack. Otherwise you're pretty much toast.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone