Author Topic: Fury  (Read 5148 times)

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
Re: Fury
« Reply #165 on: November 24, 2014, 07:34:39 PM »
What do you mean?  That one is excellent!  And very realistic.  AH will be adding the Dragon Mk. II soon -- might be in the next patch.

But will it be perked?  :P

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #166 on: November 24, 2014, 07:40:07 PM »
I thought Fury was terrible. I saw 3 rivets out of place on the Tiger and the dirt looked english. :old:

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #167 on: November 25, 2014, 12:12:24 AM »
I thought Fury was terrible. I saw 3 rivets out of place on the Tiger and the dirt looked english. :old:

Its a outrage!  :aok

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: November 25, 2014, 01:33:17 AM »

They used a real tiger in the filming as mentioned by the OP.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2014, 06:09:32 PM »
Yet another movie portraying american soldiers as undisciplined idiots and unprofessional aholes. I thought the acting was good. Very good in my opinion, the shot where Pitt's character asks the surrendering german civilian with the child soldiers about the SS officer sticks in my mind. The acting may have been too good, the tank crew became so unlikable you almost wanted them to die. The dinner with the germans scene was the best part of the film if you forget the ridiculously implausible love scene, it was a very good scene. It was the one scene that was void of action and tension music (the equivalent of a laugh track for drama). The movie was filled to the brim with hollywood war movie cliches. The climax was all hollywood jerry bruckheimer action movie. It may as well have been a zombie apocalypse horror flick at that point. Complete with persistent dense eerie orange fog.

"I just met these filthy violent home invaders four minutes ago when they were shouting at me and shoving me around at gunpoint as I was crying, convinced I was about to be raped. But despite the gunshots, explosions and people getting killed outside my window I'm going to make love to him because I'm a beautiful teenage girl and he played a piano."

"Our disabled tank is about to be swarmed by a battalion of dismounted infantry. Let's leave half of the ammo outside"

"I'm not worried about getting shot about the head and shoulders three times by a high power sniper rifle at close range because I know I can't die yet. Because I still have to shoot the final scene from Saving Private Ryan inside the tank."

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 06:14:15 PM by FLOOB »
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #170 on: November 30, 2014, 07:38:18 PM »
I'd might as well say "Yet another movie portraying german soldiers as fanatic idiots and unprofessional aholes."

Who the hell approaches a destroyed tank up front? SS? And friggin continues to do so when shot at! The final fight was absurd in every way and the tank fight scene was not really any better than that.

And of course there needs to be the "Kill the POW" scene. Pfffftt... War is hell and all that BS that will make any bizarre reasoning to make sense.

I really liked the SPR when it came out because it could create a shock of combat but the faults in storyline somewhat ruined that too. The buggers had an incredible sniper in their team and decided to attack a defended radar station head on! I would have deployed the sniper in a convenient spot to cover the attack and told him to put a bullet through anybody's head who touches the MG. But no, the needless and ridiculous scene was there to make more drama and finally to create another POW scene to support the idea that mercy is for the weak and will get you killed, more sooner than later. BAM! another POW killed. War is hell bla bla bla.

Damn these cliches. Makes me think that while the writers and directors are idiots the people who give money to these projects are even more so and with the icing of notoriously bad taste.

The only good bit of drama was when the young guy was under the tank and the young SS soldier did not react in seeing him there. That was not overbloated with ridiculous introduction nor with any post dramatization yet it tried the resign the youth from senseless killing. That is, if you understood the message.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: November 30, 2014, 08:06:30 PM »
I'd might as well say "Yet another movie portraying german soldiers as fanatic idiots and unprofessional aholes."

Who the hell approaches a destroyed tank up front? SS? And friggin continues to do so when shot at! The final fight was absurd in every way and the tank fight scene was not really any better than that.

It was a zombie horror flick in an antique military uniform. Suddenly it's night time (very suddenly). They're barricaded in the cabin surrounded by a horde of zombies coming through the fog. They're killing the zombies as fast as they can but they just keep coming. Then, oh no! Somebody forgot something important outside. Someone is gonna have to go outside and get it!
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #172 on: November 30, 2014, 09:22:35 PM »
This just in, AH members get their Bachelors in Cinematic Arts  :rolleyes:

Watched it again this weekend. Still liked it. I am a simple man.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #173 on: November 30, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
Someone hacked Sony I guess,, earlier they said it had been illegally downloaded almost 900,000 times,, not bad for a movie some of you can't hardly stand!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #174 on: November 30, 2014, 10:31:08 PM »

Except that wasnt really the German army. It was the remnants of what remained of the German armed forces in spring of 1945. Kids, Old men, wounded soldiers, thrown together in strange units, led mostly by inept officers and party hacks. In front of them were the guns of the allies. In back of them was a firing squad and K-camp or noose for their families. I already told you after July '44 the German armed forced were controlled more and more by the "N" party. Most of all the army.

And the SS? What could really have been left of the crack SS infantry divisions by then? Most of all in the west? No doubt all that was left was thugs and K-camp guards who's only skill was murdering unarmed woman and kids. I for one have no problem imagining a bunch of incompetent morons wearing the runes by March/April '45 and marching into MG fire with their heads up their arses.

This was not the superb force that invaded Russia in '41. This was the left overs more afraid of their own leaders then they were the Yank MGs. Since D-Day they had lost over 600,000 men alone in the west. Most very good troops.

Honestly the only problem I have with that final scene, and yeah it was a bit of a stretch, was that the SS soldiers looked a little to old, a little to clean, a little to well fed, a little to well armed, and way to enthusiastic. The portrayal of the kid with the panzerfaust was far more realistic. Heck at least 1/2 of SS volunteers at the end of the war werent even German.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #175 on: December 01, 2014, 12:05:47 AM »
As we are arguing Fury's qualities, should we say compared to what?  In my opinion, the highest-quality military movies/series are:

Band of Brothers
A Bridge Too Far
Das Boot
Midway
Patton
Lawrence of Arabia
12 O'clock High
30 Seconds Over Tokyo
Grave of the Fireflies
Theirs is the Glory (because everyone in it was there)

Ones that almost make it into that list for me, but not quite:

Saving Private Ryan (awesome cinematography, good acting, plot not the best because it is, after all, a Spielberg movie, so it has to have something enormously stupid)
The Beast (great movie, but just not quite up to level of the above for reasons I can't articulate)
Black Hawk Down (I thought it was great -- maybe I should put it in the above, but not sure)
Battle of Britain (excellent, but not as polished as the above)
Piece of Cake (ditto)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #176 on: January 27, 2015, 11:00:39 AM »
Out on blu ray today,, got me a copy and some popcorn!  See you later!
We need an armor emocon!!! :noid
Flying since tour 71.

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #177 on: January 27, 2015, 11:11:53 AM »
 only beef i have is the cheesy "lazer look alike" tracer rounds

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: January 27, 2015, 02:42:29 PM »