Author Topic: Fury  (Read 5124 times)

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
Re: Fury
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2014, 06:32:19 AM »
If it's that good I'll contribute $1 to Redbox, sorry Brad but you've been integral in things I centrally oppose; I can't support a person with whom I fundamentally disagree with just about every single thing they do these days; that is minus the philanthropy they do for children. But dinners with Anna Wintour, "don't be late", no ty.

I guess I could be convinced that there are enough decent ppl involved...I'll check the roster.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2014, 06:39:58 AM »
Saw it yesterday and enjoyed the movie. Was glad I saw it on the big screen.

I took these picks at the museum in Bastogne last weekend. Check out the damage on the Sherman. Also got another pic of a helmet. Probably sad stories in these pics.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
If it's that good I'll contribute $1 to Redbox, sorry Brad but you've been integral in things I centrally oppose; I can't support a person with whom I fundamentally disagree with just about every single thing they do these days; that is minus the philanthropy they do for children. But dinners with Anna Wintour, "don't be late", no ty.

I guess I could be convinced that there are enough decent ppl involved...I'll check the roster.
Director is a former Navy man.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2014, 04:26:40 PM »
Just came back from it. A 4 star movie in my book, as good as SPR.

War is a terrible thing to inflict upon peoples. Necessary sometimes, I know, but no less terrible.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2014, 10:30:23 AM »
Top knotch movie! Gruesome, as war is, but top knotch all the way!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2014, 06:58:08 PM »
Very good flick.

Offline Schen

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2014, 09:30:19 PM »
Having lived as part of a tank crew for many years ill say this movie has me interested.
"Fighting in the air is not sport. It is scientific murder"
           Captain Edward V. 'Eddie' Rickenbacker

---Committing scientific murder since tour 157---
                       :devil

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 07:10:19 PM »
I loved it.  :banana:

It was a fantastic film.    

There was a scene I could have lived without.  Bad decision by the director.  When that part happened a WWII vet in the crowd yelled, "That's bulls--t!"   Later in the hall he said, "They lied about my unit.  Only ten percent of it was true."   I felt bad for him but that aside, I still enjoyed the film.

It was nowhere as gruesome as "Saving Private Ryan" so don't let the reviews scare you, and, though I am sure some will quibble with the accuracy of the fights, for modern day Hollywood it is the best thing I have seen since "The Dark Knight Rises" and the first 4/5ths of "Lone Survivor".
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 07:23:22 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 07:13:16 PM »
I thought it was the best war film I've seen since Saving Private Ryan.  It doesn't beat SPR, but it is a very good movie.  It just barely lacked the character development that we got with the characters in SPR. 

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 07:18:33 PM »
I thought it was worth the ticket.

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 11:08:35 PM »
I thought it was the best war film I've seen since Saving Private Ryan.  It doesn't beat SPR, but it is a very good movie.  It just barely lacked the character development that we got with the characters in SPR. 

Maybe not but it surely portrayed the effects of such violence on young men who probably would have preferred living peaceful lives and raising families. And not just Yank. And exhausted German populace was also included as well as a remarkable act of mercy and honor at the end by a so called "enemy".

To me a good war film is one that leave you feeling after that "war is just crap". Its just "crap" that humanity grinds these kids up in state sponsored violence.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline TEXAS20

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2014, 10:31:22 AM »

+ 1  Great movie and I will go back and see it again.  Branch I think you are spot on with the character development comment about SPR.  Its SPR by a nose!
The rules are simple:  Don't be a dick.

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2014, 03:24:24 PM »
Saw it. It was a good film. Lots of action, little character development and mediocre plot is what kept this film from being really great.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2014, 04:28:12 PM »
I'm sorry, but it was complete scheisse. The action was good'ish, but comparing this to SPR is an insult to good movie making. All the characters were one dimensional caricatures and the "war is hell" theme was way overplayed. The movie was basically one-third somewhat good (but militarily illiterate) action, one-third mindless over-the-top soldier-bonding/raping/war crimes, and one-third reciting bible verses and long wet stares at each other (think end of LOTR).
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2014, 05:05:23 PM »
I'm sorry, but it was complete scheisse. The action was good'ish, but comparing this to SPR is an insult to good movie making. All the characters were one dimensional caricatures and the "war is hell" theme was way overplayed. The movie was basically one-third somewhat good (but militarily illiterate) action, one-third mindless over-the-top soldier-bonding/raping/war crimes, and one-third reciting bible verses and long wet stares at each other (think end of LOTR).

LoL, While I wouldn't call it completely poo poo :) I agree with your other comments, but I also wasn't expecting anything more than it was. It's easy to sell tickets to action and battle scenes and that's the route this film went.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!