Author Topic: Panther Vs Sherman and Pershing  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Bong40

• Copper Member
Panther Vs Sherman and Pershing
« on: October 06, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »
Seen the scenes before Just never put together and stabilized
Enjoy............
Panther kills Sherman then Pershing kills Panther

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=fb8_1412600463

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
Re: Panther Vs Sherman and Pershing
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 02:25:07 PM »
Sobering.
In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 04:16:24 PM »
Amazing footage.  You can see the hits on the Panther from the Pershing tank.  When the Panther starts to cook up, you can see 3 glowing 'circles' on the side and front of the turret where the Pershing's rounds penetrated.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 04:54:21 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 04:20:22 PM »
Wow..scary stuff...
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 04:45:12 PM »
Part of the panther crew actually managed to escape, only to be machine gunned down a few blocks down.  Also, the Sherman crew member with his lower leg blown off bled to death.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 04:52:11 PM »
Part of the panther crew actually managed to escape, only to be machine gunned down a few blocks down.  Also, the Sherman crew member with his lower leg blown off bled to death.

All but one of the Sherman crew died, the gunner was the only survivor. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 05:02:37 PM »
This video always impressed me. Like Ack-Ack said, the holes the 90mm punched thru the Panther really get your attention. It's really hard watching the poor guy manage to get out of the Sherman with his lower leg missing.

I don't think many people appreciate the sheer amount of energy transferred when rds like this hit. Even after penetrating, there's still plenty left to turn us into Jello.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:07:02 PM by Cthulhu »
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 05:45:42 PM »
That's what you get when you don't keep your front armor towards the enemy and don't protect your weak sides...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2014, 07:15:39 PM »
That's what you get when you don't keep your front armor towards the enemy and don't protect your weak sides...
Watch the video. I'd never seen this one with the street layout before. I always thought the Panther engaged the Sherman facing sideways. Turns out he was facing the Sherman and the Pershing flanked him.
Besides, I think that 90mm would have sliced thru the front plate of the Panther just as easily at that range. I'm surprised anybody got out in time.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2014, 08:08:13 PM »
Right on the steps of Cologne cathedral, quite literally. The fact the cathedral remained standing was nothing short of miraculous.

Friendly advice - never attempt to drink beer in Cologne.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2014, 08:30:10 PM »
The fact the cathedral remained standing was nothing short of miraculous.

Or just the result of Teutonic levels of over engineering...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2014, 09:08:58 PM »
Heheh, no, there were plenty of other churches and cathedrals which were laid flat.

IIRC the interior of the cathedral is fairly stark. There's another chuch very close by, on the other side of the station I think, which has been restored to its original glory. The lady there told me it was largely Polish craftsmen who'd done the work...
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2014, 08:35:18 AM »
Well... These old Gothic cathedrals are incredibly difficult to destroy. The amount of stone needed to build such a high construction is staggering and results in something that resist damage and fire like a bunker. St. Paul's in London survived largely due to the efforts of a special unit of firefighters assigned to its protection. Despite being hit 29 times during the Blitz the cathedral survived. Even if the Germans had succeeded in setting St. Paul's ablaze only the led dome and roof would have been completely destroyed. The stone building itself would have been left standing. The destruction in Cologne and London were mostly caused by fire, not explosives.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2014, 02:11:31 PM »
St Martin's cathedral at Ypres

after rebuilding

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2014, 02:21:40 PM »
All but one of the Sherman crew died, the gunner was the only survivor. 

ack-ack

Two of the Sherman crew survived according to the video. (0:48)

Three of the Panther crew survived according to the video. (3:35)