Author Topic: Trimming.  (Read 1375 times)

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Trimming.
« on: October 08, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »
Is there a reason why the rudder will not stay in the trimmed position after turning off the combat trim?  eg. I've lost an engine on a 2 engined plane, and I want to trim it out. I turn off the combat trim, trim the rudder. After a few seconds the rudder trim returns to neutral.

TIA.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Re: Trimming.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »
Planes in this game do not stay trimmed for very long. You have to consistanlty fix trim on your plane if you do not have combat trim on.

FYI by simply manualing the trim, it automatically turns combat trim off.

You can turn it back on by simply pressing X for auto pilot.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 11:42:53 AM »
Is there a reason why the rudder will not stay in the trimmed position after turning off the combat trim?  eg. I've lost an engine on a 2 engined plane, and I want to trim it out. I turn off the combat trim, trim the rudder. After a few seconds the rudder trim returns to neutral.

TIA.

Do you have combat trim on in preferences or do you turn it on to use it?

Do you have an analog control mapped to rudder trim?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
FTJR,

What are you using to adjust trim,an analog control,a hatswitch,or just the KB?

If you use an analog controller to adjust,check to see that the controller is functioning properly. It could be spiking and causing the trim to reset. If you open the clipboard and go to map controllers and select the trim function in question,then go to advanced and run the controller through it's range of motion.  You can see the raw input and scaled input windows,if you have unwanted movement or spiking you should see it happen in the raw window.

Trim is not constant,it will change with speed so adjustments at X speed wont work at Y speed.

Hope this helps,plz report back to let us know if you find the issue or not!

:salute

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

In this case, i was turning off the combat trim (CT is on by default), via hat switch, then using the keyboard to  set the trim. I looked at the trim indicator and set it about 1/3rd from full.

The speed was constant, after a minute the trim indicator had reset to the neutral position. Using F3, I can confirm that the rudder reset to neutral.

Cheers.
Raw Prawns      

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 08:55:37 PM »
I too have experienced that same thing but the rudder centers only if auto level or auto speed is engaged.  If I manually trim and do not engage any auto function the rudder dies not center.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 08:25:59 AM »

In this case, i was turning off the combat trim (CT is on by default), via hat switch, then using the keyboard to  set the trim. I looked at the trim indicator and set it about 1/3rd from full.

The speed was constant, after a minute the trim indicator had reset to the neutral position. Using F3, I can confirm that the rudder reset to neutral.

Cheers.

It sounds like you hit autopilot, which will reset all the trim and turn combat trim back on. Is this true?  I've never seen it actually fix itself for the better, rather it gets worse if you don't compensate trim for the movement and speed of the plane.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 10:01:21 AM »
My experience.

Auto trim has the rudder offset.  (I am told this is because torque is in effect and the rudder is combating that).

Go to manual trim and the rudder will stay where it was (as do all the trims).  If you trim the rudder to centre it should stay there.  I can trim it to centre and it does stay there.  I actually do not trim it for fear that the 'trimmed for torque' is true and if I trim to centre I am actually fighting torque........if you get what I mean.

IMO - trim for up / down if you need to but otherwise, trust auto trim

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 01:04:20 PM »

Cheers.

FTJR,

If you could try something for me and report back,try turning off CT in flight preferences.

Then go through the trim routine and see if the trim resets or not,if it doesnt I would check your key mappings to be sure you arent accidentally turning on CT with the hatswitch.

I have trim mapped to 2 hats,1 does pitch and roll and the other takes care of rudder,when I use the hatswitch I dont need to turn combat trim off. You only need to toggle CT on/off if you use an analog controller,same with the KB,you dont need to toggle CT.

Maybe you are inadvertently turning CT back on and it's trimming itself as it should.

If it doesnt happen with CT turned off by default then you know the problem,but if it still does you may want to contact support at HTC,as that would be above my pay grade..... :devil

Hope this helps!

:salute

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 01:37:25 PM »

Cheers.
By using F3, I suppose you were in a bomber?
In that case, switching to a position other than the pilot will engage auto-level and that will mess up your manual trim.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 01:57:59 PM »
My experience.

Auto trim has the rudder offset.  (I am told this is because torque is in effect and the rudder is combating that).

Go to manual trim and the rudder will stay where it was (as do all the trims).  If you trim the rudder to centre it should stay there.  I can trim it to centre and it does stay there.  I actually do not trim it for fear that the 'trimmed for torque' is true and if I trim to centre I am actually fighting torque........if you get what I mean.

IMO - trim for up / down if you need to but otherwise, trust auto trim

The torque in this case is mostly spiral slipstream from the propeller. This pushes the rudder and rolls the fuselage opposite the prop rotation. When you trim, manually or auto, you trim the ailerons, rudder and elevator to fly straight and level.

When you deflect the rudder you roll as well as yaw. When you deflect an aileron you yaw as well as roll. This also happens when you trim the rudder and ailerons. When you trim one you probably need to trim the other. Getting trimmed can reduce drag and change your speed requiring you to trim the elevator.

Remember the trim controls affect each other and don't worry about messing them up if you play with them, X will reset them for straight and level flight.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 01:09:22 AM »
Again thanks for the replies. I'll try to answer in order. Just a recap,  in an Ar234, engine damaged/shutdown. Autopilot on, level flight. With the CT engaged the aeroplane wont hold a heading, i.e it gradually turns towards the dead engine, which is expected. I turned off the CT, and trimmed it out. The trim automatically returned to neutral.

Colmbo.. Thanks I will try and trim it without the autopilot engaged.

DmonSlyr.  The autopilot was already engaged, i just turned off the CT and then manually trimmed it.

FES67.  I normally dont touch the trim, in buffs that is, with the exception of damage.

Morfiend.  I will try that and report back.

Bozon.  Could be, but as the autopilot was engaged, I didn't check the trim light.. will do that.
Raw Prawns      

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2014, 08:58:45 AM »
DmonSlyr.  The autopilot was already engaged, i just turned off the CT and then manually trimmed it.
There's your issue...

While it's called autopilot, it's really autotrim (to a specific end). When you hit the autolevel (default X key), the CT will come on, the plane will go level and set trim for level operation.  When you hit auto climb (default shift-x), the plane will trim to it's default best climb speed. 

So when you engage autopilot and turn off CT, you are also turning off autopilot.  If you set trim of something, then hit "X", it all resets. 

Make sense?
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2014, 01:27:13 PM »
Any auto trim mode including CT will set the rudder trim according to your speed, regardless of damage to your aircraft. If you want trim to adjust for unequal thrust you have to set it manually.

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 08:49:55 PM »
Scca & FLS. The autopilot/combat trim was engaged in level flight, I turned off the combat trim, the auto pilot remains engaged. I then trimmed it out, then touched nothing. The trim counter returned to neutral.

Morfiend: I tried turning off the CT in the default settings, then tested it, the result was the same.

Bozon: I tried turning off the CT (while it was on by default) trimming it out, going to F3 mode, then F1. The CT light was still off.

Thanks for the repiles.
Raw Prawns