Author Topic: DOW minus 329 points-another recession ?!  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
Re: DOW minus 329 points-another recession ?!
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2014, 03:52:02 PM »
Here is my well, uh, young opinion,

. . .

I recommend a reading of "Basic Economics," by Thomas Sowell; or if that is too long (as it is a long book) "Economics in One Lesson," by Hazlitt.  Both are readable by anyone, and if you read one of them, you will know more about economics than 99.9% of the population.

That will give a very solid foundation for what really moves economies and how they work.

If more people in the world read one or the other of these books, the world would be a better place.

It takes maybe 5-10 hours to read one of those books.  I think that everyone should invest 5-10 hours out of their entire lifespans to understand one of the most-important topics to civilization.

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »
Panic crash on Wall Street :confused:

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »
People dont care about economics if they did it would end
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2014, 01:09:59 PM »
Buying opportunity.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2014, 05:30:38 PM »
40-50% losses in '07-'08 for some. Some of that some didn't have 6-8 to 10+ yrs to get back to even. When they see a bull market dying, the elderly are wiser to call it sooner than someone who has a longer horizon. Also, they have more $ invested, so drops from them will have greater effect than 40/50 somethings, right now I'm looking at hospital etfs and if they drop some more, I'm in.

What say you?
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »
People dont care about economics if they did it would end

Manias would perhaps end if people knew of them, but not economics.  Economics is in operation whenever people exchange goods or services.

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2014, 10:12:02 PM »

DOW minus 329 points-Still a recession ?!

I saw a survey and 75% of the people still think we are in a recession.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: October 16, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »

Technically speaking we are in what is called a "crappy economy" a recession is when the economy experiences negative growth which is more clearly known as shrinking.
Pies not kicks.

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2014, 10:12:18 AM »

What we are experiencing is a hiccup in the market. Kinda like a reassessment of a mortgage.
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2014, 10:37:24 AM »

Funny isn't it, how we are seeing the highest #s our stock market has ever seen, and yet just because it goes down a few notches, like every other cycle on this plannet, people lose their $h!t and blame the president for it. Hahaha. The stock market has had an upward slope since the 1930s. Even when it goes down a bit, it will still be compensated for in the future.  The stock market is nothing but a game. It is designed to fund companies through the notion that you have part "ownership"  to raise funds for the company.

That's why it's crazy to me that these corps make money not only on the products they sell, but also on their ROI and stock share, how much the percieved worth of the company is to the public. The company could be a huge pump n dump sceme who doesn't even sell a product and you could still make 1000s off them by playing them right in the market when their popularity of name gets flashed in the media (HEMP). The stock market is seriously the best type of "gambling" you can find. I always tell people, if you hate a corporation sooooo badly, invest in their stocks and make money off them hahaha.

Like I said, employers aren't paying people fair wages in this economy, people are forced to take petty jobs with low wages, and if the standard of living goes down because of that it will be a huge problem in society. That is why it seems like we are going down hill although, right now actually our economy is fairly stable and manufacturing has increased over the last 2 years.

The thing is, more and more young people are getting college degrees, that's great, what is not great is the government biting us in the prettythang$ for it. I'm 23, a recent BBA graduate, and first it was tough to even find a "corperate" position. Now I'm an accountant. This company of course takes advantage of me because of age and experience. I get that. It's a great learning experience though. But why the F do I pay 24% in taxes on top of $300 monthly student loans. Does our government really think I can afford this crap, and live my life as an "adult" not living in my parents house anymore when I have to give half my pay check away every month?

When you kill the monetary achievement of success to the masses. They will become irritiable and upset, our society will form into medicracy and half wit workers who don't care. Companies take all the fun out of our lives and expect us to bow down and work hard for them, spend countless hours away from family and freeness to barely afford to live. Work these days is becoming a burden to the way we should be living, it is crushing the american soul. Mark my words, in the next 10 years, when my whole generation is done with school and are paying loans and working in restaurants still or if companies do not increase living wages or decrease the amount of hours In a work week. You are gonna see our whole country turn into Detroit.

Business owners need to realize that just because they made 30,000 when they were my age, that is not the same level of compensation in today's standards and this is the major problem our country faces right now.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 11:18:38 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2014, 12:41:42 PM »
Violator.

So your upset because you have to pay back the loans that you used to get an education that you use for your job, and you think you should be entitled to not to have to pay taxes now that you are working, and you are working for company that is taking advantage of you now?  Wow.  I guess this is a big surprise for you eh?  You made choices that you have to live with.  Welcome to the real world, now put your big boy pants on and get busy.  If you didn't want to have 300 dollar student loan payments you shouldn't have borrowed so much.  Some people WORK their way through college.  No one forced you to do anything.  No one made these choices for you.  You knew you would have to pay taxes when you went to work didn't you?  What's stopping you from making your own company? 

What are you looking for with this post, sympathy?  Going to change the world by complaining about how it works on a game BBS?

Good luck with that, son.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline NatCigg

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2014, 01:28:50 PM »
The Real world is Awesome!  Work, Food, Sleep!

The college world is Awesome! Sleep, Food, Sleep!

:rofl

Welcome to the real world. !  :banana:

Remember!  When you sign on the bottom line the deal is done and the money is theirs.  Thats how it works, thats how we all work.

In 5-10 years youll have a house and kids(If You try) And you can become a conservative that appreciates what he has created.  Its all good.  :old:

:salute

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
Manias would perhaps end if people knew of them, but not economics.  Economics is in operation whenever people exchange goods or services.

People dont understand economics and when it goes all pear shaped they put people in ovens :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2014, 01:53:27 PM »
Funny isn't it, how we are seeing the highest #s our stock market has ever seen, and yet just because it goes down a few notches, like every other cycle on this plannet, people lose their $h!t and blame the president for it. Hahaha. The stock market has had an upward slope since the 1930s. Even when it goes down a bit, it will still be compensated for in the future.  The stock market is nothing but a game. It is designed to fund companies through the notion that you have part "ownership"  to raise funds for the company.

That's why it's crazy to me that these corps make money not only on the products they sell, but also on their ROI and stock share, how much the percieved worth of the company is to the public. The company could be a huge pump n dump sceme who doesn't even sell a product and you could still make 1000s off them by playing them right in the market when their popularity of name gets flashed in the media (HEMP). The stock market is seriously the best type of "gambling" you can find. I always tell people, if you hate a corporation sooooo badly, invest in their stocks and make money off them hahaha.

Like I said, employers aren't paying people fair wages in this economy, people are forced to take petty jobs with low wages, and if the standard of living goes down because of that it will be a huge problem in society. That is why it seems like we are going down hill although, right now actually our economy is fairly stable and manufacturing has increased over the last 2 years.

The thing is, more and more young people are getting college degrees, that's great, what is not great is the government biting us in the prettythang$ for it. I'm 23, a recent BBA graduate, and first it was tough to even find a "corperate" position. Now I'm an accountant. This company of course takes advantage of me because of age and experience. I get that. It's a great learning experience though. But why the F do I pay 24% in taxes on top of $300 monthly student loans. Does our government really think I can afford this crap, and live my life as an "adult" not living in my parents house anymore when I have to give half my pay check away every month?

When you kill the monetary achievement of success to the masses. They will become irritiable and upset, our society will form into medicracy and half wit workers who don't care. Companies take all the fun out of our lives and expect us to bow down and work hard for them, spend countless hours away from family and freeness to barely afford to live. Work these days is becoming a burden to the way we should be living, it is crushing the american soul. Mark my words, in the next 10 years, when my whole generation is done with school and are paying loans and working in restaurants still or if companies do not increase living wages or decrease the amount of hours In a work week. You are gonna see our whole country turn into Detroit.

Business owners need to realize that just because they made 30,000 when they were my age, that is not the same level of compensation in today's standards and this is the major problem our country faces right now.

You are responsible for anything you sign.   Sometimes it helps to think a head.   You still have the great privilege to live in the United States of America.  So you still have to pay rent for living in this country. 

I know what you r going through though.   I am on my 4th year of teaching and only making $23,000.   Not anyone else fault but my own that I took the job for that kinda pay.  But hey I am surviving.   

Sorry for typos.  I am doing this off my phone
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2014, 03:43:39 PM »
Violator.

So your upset because you have to pay back the loans that you used to get an education that you use for your job, and you think you should be entitled to not to have to pay taxes now that you are working, and you are working for company that is taking advantage of you now?  Wow.  I guess this is a big surprise for you eh?  You made choices that you have to live with.  Welcome to the real world, now put your big boy pants on and get busy.  If you didn't want to have 300 dollar student loan payments you shouldn't have borrowed so much.  Some people WORK their way through college.  No one forced you to do anything.  No one made these choices for you.  You knew you would have to pay taxes when you went to work didn't you?  What's stopping you from making your own company?  

What are you looking for with this post, sympathy?  Going to change the world by complaining about how it works on a game BBS?

Good luck with that, son.

I  will create my own company, however I need more experience in my field and how businesses are ran before I can do such a thing while having a legit product/service.

I'm  trying to explain why our country is in this position we are in. Why more than 70% of our country is unhappy. I'm not mearly complaining about paying student loans but when the Gment is charging 6% interest that's a bit F-ed up. $300 a month is BS for a recent grad when everyone knows full on that recent grads really don't make that much, on top of  24% tax rate on income. $800 a month to shell out to the Gment is BS for a 23 year old. I don't mind paying taxes, I get that. But $500 out of my income plus student loans is literally a whole nother rent check for me. Luckily, I am in a good position to make a much higher income in the future. I am rather happy with the choices I've made for my future, they are far better than most, which scares me because I know most wont achieve my level and they will be even more worse off.

Unfortunately the majority of people cannot "work" their way through college because at 8.50 an hour, you need to work at least 8 hours a day to even think about trying to live on your own, one single paycheck is equal to how much only your books will cost. It's nearly impossible.

So why does the governmemt set standards based on what they think college grads should make, compared to what we are actually making? The majority of my college grad friends still sadly work in restaurants because they have no experience and can't find a Job in their field. When you take into account the amount of graduating young Americans today, compared to what the market offers, and what the average pay is per graduate, you will realize how severe this situation is about to get when the majority of students won't be able to pay them back.

I don't agree with the mentality that life should be work work work to barely survive and have as little amount of fun as possible because we don't have the time or money to do jack cht. We are supressing our people for the worst. All you have to do is fix the pay scale and you will see a complete change in the direction our country has been going.  If this mentality doesn't change, we will destroy the very foundation of success our country was built on.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion