Author Topic: Who else like's the Yak .  (Read 2596 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Who else like's the Yak .
« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2014, 04:56:19 AM »
  The problem I have with the Yak is that odd rotten sneaker/wetdog smell whenever I get near it make me nauseous.

Oh and that strange torque that goes the wrong way too!

:salute

That is not the Yak Morf its pipz :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2014, 06:28:46 AM »

How dare you! I live in the wilderness near Ontario and do not have access to the pleasantries city folk have! It is also of vital importance that I cover up my man scent with that of my surroundings so I may effectively hunt the beasts lurking here. I demand a public apology forth with! Rite then!  :old:
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:30:20 AM by pipz »
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2014, 02:51:04 PM »
I had Yaks survive a full volley of 4 hispanos from nose to tail and come out with a fuel leak

I had <insert plane here> survive a full volley of <insert guns here> from nose to tail and come out with a fuel leak

...has been quoted by someone for every plane since the game began. Sometimes you get a good burst in and the results just are not what you hoped for. Some players have a hard time accepting that.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2014, 04:06:14 PM »

...has been quoted by someone for every plane since the game began. Sometimes you get a good burst in and the results just are not what you hoped for. Some players have a hard time accepting that.

Which reminds me of "they really have nerfed the (insert plane of choice) with this last update" which is inevitably coming up every time  :noid
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2014, 04:53:10 PM »

That must be the wet dog smell,I've seen that feral animal he keeps!   Rumor has it that Pipz sleeps with the animal,even when it's not a 3 dog night!

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2014, 06:03:33 PM »
As I said, it happens with every plane, BUT it seems to happen a lot more with the yak3.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2014, 08:07:33 PM »
My personal favorite of late is the laughable complaint re the .50s in AH...you can roll a P-51D...shoot down 3 X Ju-88s, a Bf 109, and an Fw 190 have ammo to spare...and land 5 yet somehow they are "BBs". Please.  :rolleyes:
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2014, 03:31:30 AM »

That must be the wet dog smell,I've seen that feral animal he keeps!   Rumor has it that Pipz sleeps with the animal,even when it's not a 3 dog night!

Hunting beaver does not require pipz to smell of fish and wet pants
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline chewie86

• Nickel Member
Lube & Shame "peneduro"
My AH2 videos
SDL SEASON 1 Champions:
Loose Deuce
, ~Black Leather & Pink Slippers~

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2014, 07:01:08 AM »
I personally big fun of Yaks and Yak-3 in particular.

Yak-3 is "ultimate" fighter: small, nimble, good diver, climber, decent speed and amazing FOV.

I love the central concentrated gun package, it has the firepower that is "good enough" also you can't spray and prey with it.

But it has major drawbacks: pathetic loiter time (which requires you almost always to throttle back to save fuel at MA) and even more pathetic ammo load. It is also catches fire easily (but not as easy as Japanese paper planes)

Of course there are better planes. The hardest plane for me in Yak-3 to deal with is Spit-8/16... these are "Easy mode" planes as they better TnBs and have very comparable performance in the rest parameters like speed, dive, climb etc.

Finally... Yak-3 is considered one of the best WW2 fighters...

In general I always prefer Yaks over Land-Lease planes in Eastern Front setups.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2014, 02:43:12 PM »
But it has major drawbacks: pathetic loiter time (which requires you almost always to throttle back to save fuel at MA) and even more pathetic ammo load.
They Yak has no limit on its max power that is modeled as "WEP" in AH. I have no idea of the real Yak3/9 had no operational limits to its engine, but I find it strange since every other fighter of the era did have limits on operating at maximum power. Sometimes had limits like the availability of water injection (e.g. R2800 engines) and sometimes softer limits in concern for the engine health (e.g. Merlins).

Flying around with the throttle firewalled in the Yak is like flying with WEP on 100% of the time - most AH planes will have their time reduced by 20-30% if they do that (of course they can't because WEP is limited). If range or loiter time is any kind of of an issue, then there is no reason to cruise at 100% power in the Yaks. From memory, the Yak9U has a very close full throttle time to a P47D11 on MIL. The D11 can carry a DT and the Yak9 can lower RPM or throttle back to achieve the same range increase, but still be faster and climb better than a CLEAN D11 - by far. There are probably better performing planes to compare to, I just know P47s better. Same goes for the La7 - that one has WEP limits modeled, but it has incredible low alt speed even on MIL. There is absolutely no reason for the La7 to cruise to/from the fight with the throttle firewalled and RPM at max, as it can trade a small decrease in travel speed for a large increase in range/time.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2014, 03:21:22 PM »
You know what would be truly scary, the uprated Yak 3 that carried 3 cannons and was actually lighter than the Yak we have. It didn't see action. :(

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2014, 03:36:55 PM »
You know what would be truly scary, the uprated Yak 3 that carried 3 cannons and was actually lighter than the Yak we have. It didn't see action. :(

How did that not fall apart when the pileit sneezed?
Retired

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2014, 03:45:32 PM »
My personal favorite of late is the laughable complaint re the .50s in AH...you can roll a P-51D...shoot down 3 X Ju-88s, a Bf 109, and an Fw 190 have ammo to spare...and land 5 yet somehow they are "BBs". Please.  :rolleyes:

That may be one example. But it's ridiculous when you hit someone with countless 50cals in snap shots and plug them with bullets and yet the enemy plane doesn't seem damaged and can still function properly. I for one get angry at the fact that most of my bullets do not do justice. I'll be in a 109g14 with gondies, which is 3 20mm and 2 50 cals, and your telling me a 200 out faceshot as he crosses directly in front of me, easy shot with a 1.5 second burst through his plane ain't gonna completely destroy a plane, meanwhile he flys away with a gas leak.

That is an issue that has irritated me for sometime. Getting picked because the enemy won't die is annoying.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 03:47:38 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2014, 05:08:45 PM »
I cannot verify the source, but I do believe the 3 cannon yak3p did see brief service against the Japanese in August of 1945. I think your thinking of the Yak3 version with a 1600hp Kliminov engine instead of the 1400 hp engine that saw service in WW2. A yak3 with a 1600hp engine and 3 cannon would be a monster.

Chuikov