Author Topic: Rockets  (Read 528 times)

Offline SkyWolf_WM

• Zinc Member
      • Dunno
Rockets
« on: October 10, 2014, 03:45:11 PM »

Can Rockets been use in game as Air to Air weapons?
*************** FAIL TO SUCK *************

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Rockets
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:50:30 PM »
 Only the German 21wgr's are purpose built for air to air,they are basically a flak rocket.

All the other rockets are better used as air to ground,this is not to say you cant get lucky and score a hit on an aircraft with them but they are much better at the ground attack.

:salute

Offline jeep00

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:50:49 PM »
The ones on the 110G are air to air I beleive. Can't say for sure but I have seen it somewhere. And whatever other ones carry that model rocket.

D'oh! Morfeind beat me to it. And with more confidence in his response as well. :)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 03:53:29 PM »
Yes but...

Most rockets in game are not meant for a2a work. While any plane to get hit by them will go boom, they are very difficult to use air to air. You have to go extremely close and have to be very lucky at the same time. Makes more sense to use your guns long before that.

An exception are the German WGR rockets (Bf 109G, Bf 110, Me 410, FW 190A), which are actually meant to be used against bombers. They have a fuze which is set to a certain time (can't remember which exactly). In practice, that means you want to shoot them somewhere around the D1000 mark from the bombers six o clock.
Still difficult to pull it off successfully, but definitely doable. A few guys have mastered it very well in the past.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 03:55:48 PM »
Nothing quite like watching a large squadron of fighters coming into your squad of bombers, and they unload a wall of rockets.
Love scenarios lol
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 04:06:07 PM »
Yes but...

Most rockets in game are not meant for a2a work. While any plane to get hit by them will go boom, they are very difficult to use air to air. You have to go extremely close and have to be very lucky at the same time. Makes more sense to use your guns long before that.

An exception are the German WGR rockets (Bf 109G, Bf 110, Me 410, FW 190A), which are actually meant to be used against bombers. They have a fuze which is set to a certain time (can't remember which exactly). In practice, that means you want to shoot them somewhere around the D1000 mark from the bombers six o clock.
Still difficult to pull it off successfully, but definitely doable. A few guys have mastered it very well in the past.

Lusche,

IIRC they are fused to explode after 2.1 or 2.2 seconds which works out to being pretty close to 1100 or 1200 yards range. This is the WGR's only.

I watched a player salvo the rockets from a P38L at a bomber formation and he was lucky enough to get 2 of the 3! I told him nice shot,all he said was "pure luck". :rofl :rofl :rofl

:salute

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 04:10:05 PM »
I had someone kill all 3 of my B-26s w/ a head-on attack w/ HVARs. Was quite impressive but I doubt that it's something you see often. I'm guessing that all it took was one of the salvo of 10 to detonate to knock out the formation. As for the WGrs I've only once been able to achieve a kill with them (actually a triple kill on 3 G5Ms in close formation with eachother) but that was pure luck as I have no idea how to aim them.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 04:10:12 PM »

Lusche,

IIRC they are fused to explode after 2.1 or 2.2 seconds which works out to being pretty close to 1100 or 1200 yards range. This is the WGR's only.

Yes, something like that. Couldn't remember the exact value anymore, as I very rarely tried my luck with them.

On the other side, last tour a WGr volley fired by MOE in a Bf 110 took out all my three bombers at once.  :ahand
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 04:18:18 PM »
I servo'ed 10 the rockets and followed up a rope thinking that would be my best chance to pop a fighter as he  went straight up.  It didn't work but all those rockets distracted the roper enough that I got away.  Still think it will work and how cool it will be when it does.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 06:55:15 PM »
The speed differential between you and your intended victim also plays into when you should send the wg21s.