Author Topic: FIVE Easy Things to Improve the Game NOW  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: FIVE Easy Things to Improve the Game NOW
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2014, 01:46:26 PM »
Except I don't particularly want to bomb the GVs that are flashing the base.

Wish they'd implement a means of distinguishing that it's a GV versus an aircraft that's flashing a base.

Wiley.

Even if it is an nme GV, it's still a fight. I know that when an nme GV spawns in to an airfield, that little town symbol flashes long before the base flashed.  Perhaps AH could split the flashing town vs base and only flash the town for GV's and only flash the Base for aircraft.  But I doubt that will ever happen.

Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2014, 02:17:36 PM »
Even if it is an nme GV, it's still a fight. I know that when an nme GV spawns in to an airfield, that little town symbol flashes long before the base flashed.  Perhaps AH could split the flashing town vs base and only flash the town for GV's and only flash the Base for aircraft.  But I doubt that will ever happen.

Think how much ground-based vulchers would exploit that.  Base doesn't flash while they camp the runway.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »
Even if it is an nme GV, it's still a fight.

20mm's aren't going to do much against a battle tank.  Not much of a fight.  As hard as it may be to believe, there are quite a few players who find GVs to be invisible and meaningless to their AH experience unless they're vulching a runway.

I could live with the radar system as is if I knew there were aircraft attacking the flashing bases, but it's a pain in the backside to up and only find armor in the area.

I know that when an nme GV spawns in to an airfield, that little town symbol flashes long before the base flashed.  Perhaps AH could split the flashing town vs base and only flash the town for GV's and only flash the Base for aircraft.  But I doubt that will ever happen.

Or just have an A and a G beside the icon so it's clear what's flashing the base and town.  Whatever system is telling us the place is under attack should be able to differentiate between armor and air.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2014, 02:55:56 PM »
Think how much ground-based vulchers would exploit that.  Base doesn't flash while they camp the runway.

I don't see how it gets exploited, if the town is flashing  there is an nme GV somewhere around the spawn,  base or town.   If the base is flashing and the local radar is out, the aircraft is somewhere within the 12 mile radius or the radar ring.  If the base is flashing and the local radar is up , well you can see the red dot unless it's so low it's below radar.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #79 on: October 15, 2014, 03:00:30 PM »
20mm's aren't going to do much against a battle tank.  Not much of a fight.  As hard as it may be to believe, there are quite a few players who find GVs to be invisible and meaningless to their AH experience unless they're vulching a runway.

I could live with the radar system as is if I knew there were aircraft attacking the flashing bases, but it's a pain in the backside to up and only find armor in the area.

Or just have an A and a G beside the icon so it's clear what's flashing the base and town.  Whatever system is telling us the place is under attack should be able to differentiate between armor and air.

Wiley.

I up with ords , two 1000lbs of bombs and rockets does wonders for the battle tank,  I save my 20mm for aircraft.  How would you indicate both GV's and Aircraft are attacking.   That's why I say, flash the Town for GV's and flash the base for Aircraft.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 03:17:04 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: October 15, 2014, 03:09:59 PM »
Folks, please re-read the original thread.  The thoughts of the OP are great and merit an articulate, well thought out response. 
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: October 15, 2014, 03:21:32 PM »
How would you indicate both GV's and Aircraft are attacking.

Both the A and the G would show beside the base and the town.

Folks, please re-read the original thread.  The thoughts of the OP are great and merit an articulate, well thought out response. 

The ideas presented in the OP have been hashed and rehashed so many times on this board, there's really nothing more to be said about them that hasn't been said umpteen dozen times in the last couple months.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: October 15, 2014, 03:38:08 PM »
Both the A and the G would show beside the base and the town.

The ideas presented in the OP have been hashed and rehashed so many times on this board, there's really nothing more to be said about them that hasn't been said umpteen dozen times in the last couple months.

Wiley.

The thread does not need to go down the path of "I did this" or "I did that".  I think it more useful and expressive if the dialogue is pointed to the betterment of the game in general
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »
The thread does not need to go down the path of "I did this" or "I did that".  I think it more useful and expressive if the dialogue is pointed to the betterment of the game in general

It's certainly expressive, but is it really useful to present the same ideas and arguments over and over?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline flatiron1

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2014, 05:28:08 PM »
side switch time in LW should be same as in EW/MW

:bolt:

(especially at off peak times)

EW/MW are great except for numbers. One hour switch, small maps.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2014, 05:30:29 PM »

EW/MW are great except for numbers. One hour switch, small maps.

You'd think that would be an attraction, then. Alas, not so much?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »
You'd think that would be an attraction, then. Alas, not so much?

If nobody is there, nobody goes there (note that "nobody" in this context can also mean "very few").
Especially when overall numbers are so low, it's about impossible to turn around the small arena erosion.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TheRapier

• Nickel Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron, My Little Pony
Re: THREE Easy Things to Improve the Game NOW
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2014, 07:43:50 PM »
The current thread is a perfect illustration of why the game is what it is today and why it stands on the brink of extinction. Why as a genre, WWII MMO air combat is very nearly gone. With very few exceptions, no one seems to be really thinking about the game itself but are much more narrowly focused on what they as individuals like to do. If HTC were to read through this as some indication of what the players want (and I’m very afraid they do), the conclusion would be, players want the game to do and be the same thing it has always been and maybe some more players would be nice. Problem is that doesn't tell you how to pull back from the brink. 

Like lemmings on a mass migration to a terminal swim, no one is focused on the end, on the cold and the isolation and eventual expiration. Each lemming is only concerned about their own cheese (or whatever it is that lemmings eat). “As long as I have my cheese, I’m happy!!” And really that’s ok because you are players and NOT game designers, NOT owners of the company. Players risk little, players are here for the cheese and stay till there is no more cheese. Could players do something? Sure! There are plenty of examples of communities that have done great things. But that requires an attitudinal shift from "My Cheese!" It may be hiding here but its hiding pretty good.

If / when AH goes away, it will have been due to the cumulative actions of the developer and this community. Having been witness to many “beloved” games going to the game graveyard, you may wish to record where you came down on this. That way in 2025, you can remember what you did or didn’t do about that great WWII air combat game you used to play in 2014 (“What was it called? Gee I wish we had something like that now!”)

So let’s boil it down to what seems least scary or "requires me to change my thinking" for all.

Adhere to these three simple ideas.
a.   THE GOAL IS TO KEEP MORE PLAYERS PLAYING OVER MORE TIME: Not just GVers, not just base takers, not just furballers, not just bombers, but more players. If the current player population, plays for longer periods, that effectively increases the numbers playing which will in turn encourage new players to play. People WILL leave because there is nothing to do.
b.   BENEFIT THE GREATEST NUMBER OF PLAYERS ALL THE TIME: Aces High is too SMALL to cater to special interest fanboy groups (if you want to find them, read up the thread). Features benefiting a small segment to the detriment of the rest need to go.
c.   MORE PLAYER INTERACTIONS IS BETTER THAN FEW: Whether people want to admit it or not, interactions over time is what drives MMOs. Whatever increases these interactions is a good thing.

Do these three things:
1.   GET RID OF THE BIG MAPS – NOW! Particularly after 1 am EST. AH doesn’t draw the numbers anymore. It won’t get back to those numbers unless players can find each other and interact. When the game was small, you had smaller maps. Hold off on new features until you have a complete set of appropriate size maps. This may require you to build them yourselves.
2.   GET RID OF ENY, PARTICULARLY WHEN THE ARENA HAS LESS THAN 100 PEOPLE IN IT: ENY as a balancing mechanism is dubious. It drives away more people than it retains. See (a) above.
3.   GET RID OF THE “FEATURE” THAT A SINGLE BOMBER OR SMALL GROUP OF BOMBERS CAN KNOCK OUT THE RADAR FOR A COUNTRY. What is the best outcome of this feature? You make one bomber pilot happy, perhaps some proportion of his countrymen happy and you make 1/3 of the people on line (one country) leave or want to leave.

In the final analysis, this is the logic:
1.   What got us here is: Doing what has always been done. Nearly out of players, nearly out of give a hoot, nearly out of time.
2.   Einstein said it was the definition of insanity to do the same thing over and over again and expect it to come out different.
3.   HTC can keep doing the same thing, in which case we can expect more of the same. This has been proven to create less. Less players, less revenue. Bit by bit and day by day. 
4.   HTC can change, take action. Game may still go away but at least there was an attempt to alter course and speed. The above changes are pretty safe, as safe as anything you could do. In other words, they aren’t likely to drive people out. Less costly and quicker than a graphics upgrade.

I normally try to spare people’s feelings but this is like when the doctor tells you to knock off smoking and drinking because it’s going to kill you.  The ultimate kindness in that case is to be brutally honest.

So Dale, I’m going to lay this one at your feet. Don’t expect answers from this forum. These folks don’t have the same skin in the game. You own the company, and no one can make this decision for you.

Do something, do nothing. It’s up to you.
--)-Rapier--
CO Musketeers
Longest continuously operating MMO squadron
Serving your target needs since 1990
They thought it would be a disgrace to go forth in a group.  Each entered the forest at a point that he had chosen where there was no path and where it was darkest. La Queste de St G

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »
I expect nothing to be done.

I do, however, expect Arlo to pop in any moment and declare ALL IS WELL.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
- THE DAMNED -
King of the Hill Champ Tour 219 - Win Percentage 100
"1v1 Skyyr might be the best pilot ever to play the game." - Via PM, Name Redacted

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: THREE Easy Things to Improve the Game NOW
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2014, 08:37:50 PM »
The current thread is a perfect illustration of why the game is what it is today and why it stands on the brink of extinction. Why as a genre, WWII MMO air combat is very nearly gone. With very few exceptions, no one seems to be really thinking about the game itself but are much more narrowly focused on what they as individuals like to do. If HTC were to read through this as some indication of what the players want (and I’m very afraid they do), the conclusion would be, players want the game to do and be the same thing it has always been and maybe some more players would be nice. Problem is that doesn't tell you how to pull back from the brink. 

Like lemmings on a mass migration to a terminal swim, no one is focused on the end, on the cold and the isolation and eventual expiration. Each lemming is only concerned about their own cheese (or whatever it is that lemmings eat). “As long as I have my cheese, I’m happy!!” And really that’s ok because you are players and NOT game designers, NOT owners of the company. Players risk little, players are here for the cheese and stay till there is no more cheese. Could players do something? Sure! There are plenty of examples of communities that have done great things. But that requires an attitudinal shift from "My Cheese!" It may be hiding here but its hiding pretty good.

If / when AH goes away, it will have been due to the cumulative actions of the developer and this community. Having been witness to many “beloved” games going to the game graveyard, you may wish to record where you came down on this. That way in 2025, you can remember what you did or didn’t do about that great WWII air combat game you used to play in 2014 (“What was it called? Gee I wish we had something like that now!”)

So let’s boil it down to what seems least scary or "requires me to change my thinking" for all.

Adhere to these three simple ideas.
a.   THE GOAL IS TO KEEP MORE PLAYERS PLAYING OVER MORE TIME: Not just GVers, not just base takers, not just furballers, not just bombers, but more players. If the current player population, plays for longer periods, that effectively increases the numbers playing which will in turn encourage new players to play. People WILL leave because there is nothing to do.
b.   BENEFIT THE GREATEST NUMBER OF PLAYERS ALL THE TIME: Aces High is too SMALL to cater to special interest fanboy groups (if you want to find them, read up the thread). Features benefiting a small segment to the detriment of the rest need to go.
c.   MORE PLAYER INTERACTIONS IS BETTER THAN FEW: Whether people want to admit it or not, interactions over time is what drives MMOs. Whatever increases these interactions is a good thing.

Do these three things:
1.   GET RID OF THE BIG MAPS – NOW! Particularly after 1 am EST. AH doesn’t draw the numbers anymore. It won’t get back to those numbers unless players can find each other and interact. When the game was small, you had smaller maps. Hold off on new features until you have a complete set of appropriate size maps. This may require you to build them yourselves.
2.   GET RID OF ENY, PARTICULARLY WHEN THE ARENA HAS LESS THAN 100 PEOPLE IN IT: ENY as a balancing mechanism is dubious. It drives away more people than it retains. See (a) above.
3.   GET RID OF THE “FEATURE” THAT A SINGLE BOMBER OR SMALL GROUP OF BOMBERS CAN KNOCK OUT THE RADAR FOR A COUNTRY. What is the best outcome of this feature? You make one bomber pilot happy, perhaps some proportion of his countrymen happy and you make 1/3 of the people on line (one country) leave or want to leave.

In the final analysis, this is the logic:
1.   What got us here is: Doing what has always been done. Nearly out of players, nearly out of give a hoot, nearly out of time.
2.   Einstein said it was the definition of insanity to do the same thing over and over again and expect it to come out different.
3.   HTC can keep doing the same thing, in which case we can expect more of the same. This has been proven to create less. Less players, less revenue. Bit by bit and day by day. 
4.   HTC can change, take action. Game may still go away but at least there was an attempt to alter course and speed. The above changes are pretty safe, as safe as anything you could do. In other words, they aren’t likely to drive people out. Less costly and quicker than a graphics upgrade.

I normally try to spare people’s feelings but this is like when the doctor tells you to knock off smoking and drinking because it’s going to kill you.  The ultimate kindness in that case is to be brutally honest.

So Dale, I’m going to lay this one at your feet. Don’t expect answers from this forum. These folks don’t have the same skin in the game. You own the company, and no one can make this decision for you.

Do something, do nothing. It’s up to you.

Respectfully, Rapier, the ideas you've posted here come up weekly or at least monthly in the Wishlist.  These are not new ideas by any stretch.  If they were going to do these changes, they likely would've by now.

Wiley.

JG11