Author Topic: Let's talk Drones  (Read 2476 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: Let's talk Drones
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 11:33:45 PM »
What does WW2 Germany and 6yo's have to do with drones?

If you had read the thread backwards you'd be asking what do drones have to do with 6 year olds. Sorry,  to much time on my hands.
Pies not kicks.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 09:24:08 AM »
your supposed to say "especially the 6 year olds"

No, the full reply would be "Yes, unfortunately the 6 year old's too". War is just like any other human endeavor, when the cost becomes to much to pay, you stop doing it.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 10:48:27 AM »
I was going to use mine to spy on deer hunter's but hit a tree . Waiting for parts now . Good thing I did not mess up the 25 mile radio . Can not buy them any more .
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 10:52:21 AM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2014, 04:22:04 PM »
UAV over fly's a target city somewhere on the Arabian peninsula after dark. It offloads tiny drones that cannot fly thousands of miles but, can be controlled from thousands of miles away to quietly land on roof tops or hide wherever the remote operator can see from it's onboard camera. The UAV hangs out at 50,000ft indefinitely acting as a control relay. Each tiny drone has super long life tiny batteries, cameras, and a nasty payload. Shifts of operators sit and watch the comings and goings in the city until individuals are identified. Then the tiny drone is flown up behind the target's head and detonated. Cheaper than a Hellfire.

In the US, amazon would rather deliver your books to you with them. The police would like to look in your backyard and windows with them. PETA type groups have used them to harass hunters in the name of keeping an eye on them for hunting violations. Paparazzi have used them. Eventually someone will figure out how to torch property to pull off insurance scams. And copycats will run with it for other nefarious activities if not already.

There are bug sized flying toys that can be modified to land on you and act as a tracking beacon and\or audio bug. Most of us live lives where abuses of this technology will only be interesting 24\7 talking head stories we go tsk, tsk, tsk about. Then write posts like this one to mull over with our friends.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 06:37:22 PM »
UAV over fly's a target city somewhere on the Arabian peninsula after dark. It offloads tiny drones that cannot fly thousands of miles but, can be controlled from thousands of miles away to quietly land on roof tops or hide wherever the remote operator can see from it's onboard camera. The UAV hangs out at 50,000ft indefinitely acting as a control relay. Each tiny drone has super long life tiny batteries, cameras, and a nasty payload. Shifts of operators sit and watch the comings and goings in the city until individuals are identified. Then the tiny drone is flown up behind the target's head and detonated. Cheaper than a Hellfire.

In the US, amazon would rather deliver your books to you with them. The police would like to look in your backyard and windows with them. PETA type groups have used them to harass hunters in the name of keeping an eye on them for hunting violations. Paparazzi have used them. Eventually someone will figure out how to torch property to pull off insurance scams. And copycats will run with it for other nefarious activities if not already.

There are bug sized flying toys that can be modified to land on you and act as a tracking beacon and\or audio bug. Most of us live lives where abuses of this technology will only be interesting 24\7 talking head stories we go tsk, tsk, tsk about. Then write posts like this one to mull over with our friends.

One reason one can not buy the 25 mile hack you put on your transmitter anymore .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »
I wonder of they'll come up with a private airspace around homes.

A drone visible outside a window would likely meet a load of #5 shot.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2014, 05:46:48 PM »
A drone visible outside a window would likely meet a load of #5 shot.
That sounds like a fun sport   :aok
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2014, 04:33:56 AM »
your supposed to say "especially the 6 year olds"

Adolf Hitler was voted in and had the full support of the German people so they are responsible for the deaths of their own chidren not the Allies

The British tried everything to stay out of it and but the Germans were savages
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2014, 10:33:24 AM »
You have no idea what the Police have to go thru just to record your voice do you?

Not that blowing up terrorists heads and sending a little fly drone into your house to record you and the old Lady nagging have anything in common.

"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2014, 11:33:16 AM »
Adolf Hitler was voted in and had the full support of the German people so they are responsible for the deaths of their own chidren not the Allies

The British tried everything to stay out of it and but the Germans were savages

What ever gets you through life chief.

Anyway...DRONE RACE Mini quadcopters race through an advanced course.
http://wimp.com/quadcoptersrace/

Pies not kicks.

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »
What ever gets you through life chief.

Anyway...DRONE RACE Mini quadcopters race through an advanced course.
http://wimp.com/quadcoptersrace/

A quadcopter is not a drone, but a drone can be a quadcopter.   :P
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2014, 10:40:35 PM »
I know this is a little bit of a bump, but I feel like my 2 cents has a lot of weight here (since my job in the Marine Corps is UASs).  

I can't speak for the other branches of service but from the Marine Corps perspective on this is that they do not want to phase out manned aviation any time soon. From this point now, the Marine Corps is not expected to receive Group 4 and 5 (which are the Predators and Reapers) UAS until around 2020. There is a bunch of reasons for this and I'll explain:

1.  One of the biggest concerns is that the Marine Corps has with UAS is to try and phase out the smaller UAS, Shadow and Blackjack (which mind you the Marine Corps is just finally starting to phase out the Shadow with the Blackjack) to trade in on the Group 4 and 5 UAS. With that will phase out the enlisted UAS pilots.  For one, they do not want to do that at this time just due to the fact that the enlisted pilots do a fantastic job at the Aerial Recon portion of UAS.  

2.  The Marine Corps has only just started to send their officers to the Air Force RPA (Remote Piloted Aircraft) school.  As of current there are only about a dozen Officers that are qualified to fly Group 4 and 5 UAS. So as small as the UAS community in the Marine Corps is (maybe only about 200 enlisted UAS pilots), it's even smaller for RPA's.

3. The biggest and most major concern for the Marine Corps is the JSF (F-35).  They literally just spent billions in the last two years to upstart the JSF program.  Although the JSF can be unmanned, the Marine Corps will never use it in that way.

So in reality:

Aerial Recon: A must for the Marine Corps, and will continue to happen.

Air to Ground Strikes:  Not expected to happen until at least 2020 for the Marine Corps. Laser guided bombs can be hosted with the current UAS that the Marine Corps has, but no UAS in the Marine Corps actually has any bombs attached.

Air to Air:  The technology is there but probably won't happen until far later down the road (2028 or later).

If you guys have any questions about the particular UAS that I fly, I'm more than open to questions.

<S>

EDIT:  a little bit more info for you guys.  any UAS bigger than an R\C plane is not allowed to fly in national airspace.  Hope that relieves some of you guys.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:49:45 PM by Bosco123 »
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: October 31, 2014, 11:59:15 PM »
Appropriate to the size of our country we have the smallest UAV... The Brits like it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQSkppYviw
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 12:05:07 AM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2014, 04:56:00 AM »
Appropriate to the size of our country we have the smallest UAV... The Brits like it too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gQSkppYviw
Can they arm that drone with a stapler gun?

and what's with the silly feather on their beret? I suppose it hides the wifi antenna?
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2014, 07:18:55 PM »
Can they arm that drone with a stapler gun?

and what's with the silly feather on their beret? I suppose it hides the wifi antenna?

It's a hackle. I would wander around telling the wearers of this fine piece of traditional British Military headgear that they are wearing silly feathers! ( we call this particular breeding the video tampon-heads)  :old:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright