Author Topic: Firefox crash issues  (Read 909 times)

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Firefox crash issues
« on: October 25, 2014, 03:36:59 PM »
I'm assuming this is where the thread belongs...

I've been having a lot of issues with Firefox lately, mostly with crashes. It crashes consistently when I visit certain websites but I can't find the issue to the problem. It's suggested that one of my plugins is causing the problem but I've disabled all of them and still get the same problem.

Websites that it crashes with, in order of most often, are:
-Pandora
-Facebook
-Youtube (sometimes)
-The BBs (this one is a recent issue)

It only crashes on the forums here when I hit "Preview" when writing a reply. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on? I can use Chrome but would rather stick with Firefox (it's noticeably faster than Chrome).

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
Re: Firefox crash issues
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »
Update Firefox to the latest version, or uninstall it and download your last version
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 09:15:19 PM »
I'm assuming this is where the thread belongs...

I've been having a lot of issues with Firefox lately, mostly with crashes. It crashes consistently when I visit certain websites but I can't find the issue to the problem. It's suggested that one of my plugins is causing the problem but I've disabled all of them and still get the same problem.

Websites that it crashes with, in order of most often, are:
-Pandora
-Facebook
-Youtube (sometimes)
-The BBs (this one is a recent issue)

It only crashes on the forums here when I hit "Preview" when writing a reply. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going on? I can use Chrome but would rather stick with Firefox (it's noticeably faster than Chrome).

Use Pale Moon. its faster than firefox and it still uses the plug-ins you use on firefox. Updated often and I never have any trouble with it.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 09:42:57 PM »
Try clearing your firefox cache and cookies, sometimes they cause crashes.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:20:33 AM »
Use Pale Moon. its faster than firefox and it still uses the plug-ins you use on firefox. Updated often and I never have any trouble with it.

pale moon has been crashing a lot too.  that and lots of freezes.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 02:57:58 AM »
Try resetting Firefox: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/reset-firefox-easily-fix-most-problems

Also, I've recently seen problems with Firefox trying to use hardware acceleration, although the symptoms you describe don't fit. But if anyone sees a black screen only, this usually helps: https://support.mozilla.org/fi/kb/upgrade-graphics-drivers-use-hardware-acceleration#w_i-still-have-problems-with-my-graphics-card-in-firefox
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2014, 08:44:14 AM »
pale moon has been crashing a lot too.  that and lots of freezes.

semp

Maybe you guys are hanging out at the wrong sites  :noid

My Pale Moon hasn't crash once for as long as I can remember.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 09:30:50 AM »
I have not had any issues with Pale Moon either.  Now, to be fair, the only plugin I use is NoScript and I do not have Java nor Flash installed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 09:34:12 AM »
Pale Moon 25 isn't recognized by Netflix and Google (and perhaps other sites) as a current browser so you have to do some additions to about:config.

25.0.2 seems to have added the fix for NetFlix.
general.useragent.override.ne tflix.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.9 PaleMoon/25.0

I used the same for Google to get the Image browser back from generic.
general.useragent.override.go ogle.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.9 PaleMoon/25.0
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
Pale Moon 25 isn't recognized by Netflix and Google (and perhaps other sites) as a current browser so you have to do some additions to about:config.

25.0.2 seems to have added the fix for NetFlix.
general.useragent.override.ne tflix.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.9 PaleMoon/25.0

I used the same for Google to get the Image browser back from generic.
general.useragent.override.go ogle.com;Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:25.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/24.9 PaleMoon/25.0

I use both Netflix and google and have no issues with Pale moon. I have 25.0.1 right now and have used this browser right along.

Offline 633DH98

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2014, 04:47:57 PM »
I didn't have any issues until updating to 25, then Netflix wouldn't play and Google images gave the one size fits all display and needed the fix above to correct.
DecoyDuc  2 Nov 2008 - 16 Nov 2008  RIP

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2014, 08:52:26 PM »
After trying all of the suggestions to fix Firefox it's still crashing. I'm assuming that it must have something to do with my computer (maybe getting too old?).

In any case I'm now trying Palemoon but there is one thing that is bugging me. I've imported all of the plugins from Firefox that I wanted to use but there is a feature in Firefox that lists the sites you visit most (top 12 in the latest version) when you open a new tab. For the life of me, I don't know what it's called and would love a plugin for Palemoon to do the same thing.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 02:15:36 AM »
That's not a plugin, it's a built-in feature. You can find it in Settings->Tabs: "When opening a new tab, show [The QuickDial Page]

As for Firefox, have you tried Safe Mode? If it doesn't crash then it's in your add-ons or other settings. In that case since resetting doesn't work, thoroughly removing and reinstalling Firefox might do the trick. Anyway, PaleMoon is a good choice. I had some problems with v. 25 why I reverted back to v.24 until either PaleMoon or the problematic sites fixed the problem. This proves once again the old wisdom of waiting for a month before installing any major update.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 08:14:31 AM »
I use it on computer and my phone and have had zero problems.

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail