Author Topic: Ethics of HO Shooting.....  (Read 14300 times)

Offline madrid311

• Copper Member
Re: Ethics of HO Shooting.....
« Reply #120 on: November 03, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »
It's easy to avoid a ho. But if you try and ho me first I might ho back or may be on the second or third pass or not at all. After all you started it and it is fun too, for me. I also like trying getting on your 6.  You know under the right circumstance I might ho first. it all comes down to choices. Ho away if you choose, I'll avoid.
Quote from: hitech on Yesterday at 11:15:04 AM              
         I am happy you are having fun. HiTech                                                  
                  In game name : GunFTR

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2014, 06:36:50 PM »
i know Triton is a HO........... :bolt:

You can't prove that.  A transaction technically never took place.   :P
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2014, 06:37:45 PM »
Ah yes...

1.) The two pilots pull nose to nose.  Let's call them Pilot A and Pilot B.

2.) Pilot B "relaxes" his turn slightly.  By this I believe you are implying he is doing so for a "fight" to develop.  In other words, Pilot B is setting up to perform a last second evasive and reversal on Pilot A.  

3.) Pilot A sees he has a clear shot.  He further understands what Pilot B is going to attempt.

4.) Pilot A further recognizes that Pilot B has just screwed the pooch with his timing, and has has left himself open for a fraction of a second too long.

5.) Pilot A fires.

6.) Pilot B goes boom before he can perform his "fancy dance mov"...ahhhh...sorry..."reversal".

7.) Pilot B PMs Pilot A telling him what a dirtbag he is for taking advantage of his mista......ahhhhh...sorry again...for taking the shot.  

8.) Pilot B further goes on to add what an honorless scumbag Pilot A is for daring to take a front quarter shot, how skilless he is, etc etc etc.  

Yada yada yada.

Ad infinitum.

Ad nauseam.

*yawn*

For the ...*ahem*...."Sportsman"...there is always an excuse.....ALWAYS.  It is NEVER your fault.  

Helps keep that ego strong and fluffy!  :aok

:rofl

Cool fantasy bro.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2014, 06:44:41 PM »
You should include more of these irrelevant little details. Did you shoot at him?   :lol

Yes.  Old boy opened up at about D600 or so, so I returned fire.  I had been stealth HO'd a few times prior that night, so my HO radar was dialed in pretty good.   :joystick:
      -AoM-

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2014, 08:27:59 PM »
Cool fantasy bro.

Not at all.  That actually happened.  Three guesses who "Pilot A" was.   :lol

I see you are having a difficult time coming up with a response based on logic rather than "feelings"...so let me give you another chance:

Flying at 12K in a 110G.  See a enemy Niki flying co-alt heading towards me.  He's flying about 30 degrees angle off to my flight path.  He's not altering his course and I judge he's going to cross my path in front of me and then go high or turn into me to engage.  

As he continues towards me I can tell he's not AFK...he knows I'm there as he makes slight adjustments to his course.  I'm thinking "Wow...he's changing course but he's still going to pass right in front of me....what an idiot!"  

I hold down the trigger.  Scumbag that I am I wasn't using tracers at the time.  Just as he merges with my nose he banks towards me...and promptly loses a wing.  

Takes him a while to crash...he rides it down almost the entire way.  I can almost feel his anger.  It makes me smile.   :D

I see a wonderful PM from the honorable pilot calling me a cheap shot artist.  He further goes on to state that it would have been a "fair fight" if I hadn't fired....he seems to think stall fighting in a Niki at 12K against a 110G is "fair"...but I digress. 

Yada yada yada.

Blah blah blah.

*yawn*  

I reply that I'd been HOed at more than a few times that night...I'd reconsider my ways in the future, etc...

I could have tried to discuss the situation further....but heck...why bother debating a point with someone so far removed from the realities of MA combat?  

What use is it to attempt to rationally explain that HE was the one who made the error.  All I did was point out his error by blowing his pretty orange N1K2 from the sky.  

Why point out that there were other "red guys" inbound, I likely would have been mobbed before I finished him.  After all...actually WINNING the engagement and landing the kill isn't important....its "the fight" that's the thing, eh?

Muppets.  What can you do?

« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:31:50 PM by Zerstorer »
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »
yeah.  OK.

So I'm reading the majority of the responses saying that they HO all the time basically and of course those that do can come up with many ways to justify it, and I'm thinking, the heck with this, I'm going to start Ho'ing everything too if that's the way they want to play.  Then I think about it for a bit and I change my mind.

The majority of the responses does not mean the majority of the players because I truly believe there is a silent majority here that knows there is no hope in winning the argument against those determined to justify what I consider to be poor sportsmanship and just basically lame gameplay.

I get it, I truly do.  But I'm entitled to my opinion and I'm entitled to continue to do my best to make the game better by how I conduct myself, not worse.

Please continue to exhibit your poor sportsmanship, continue to have an excuse every time you get killed, continue to crow on 200 about how you have an I.Q of 135, continue to enlighten me about how many total kills you have every time you land a few more, and continue to HO every chance you get because I will continue to just fly away after you go for that HO to find a worthwhile fight with plenty of others who do have good sportsmanship.

I will continue to enjoy myself doing what I know is right, flying with the best squad in the best game, and making friends.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #126 on: November 03, 2014, 09:03:43 PM »
yeah.  OK.

So I'm reading the majority of the responses saying that they HO all the time basically and of course those that do can come up with many ways to justify it, and I'm thinking, the heck with this, I'm going to start Ho'ing everything too if that's the way they want to play.  Then I think about it for a bit and I change my mind.

The majority of the responses does not mean the majority of the players because I truly believe there is a silent majority here that knows there is no hope in winning the argument against those determined to justify what I consider to be poor sportsmanship and just basically lame gameplay.

I get it, I truly do.  But I'm entitled to my opinion and I'm entitled to continue to do my best to make the game better by how I conduct myself, not worse.

Please continue to exhibit your poor sportsmanship, continue to have an excuse every time you get killed, continue to crow on 200 about how you have an I.Q of 135, continue to enlighten me about how many total kills you have every time you land a few more, and continue to HO every chance you get because I will continue to just fly away after you go for that HO to find a worthwhile fight with plenty of others who do have good sportsmanship.

I will continue to enjoy myself doing what I know is right, flying with the best squad in the best game, and making friends.

Well said!  <S>

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2014, 09:04:05 PM »
Not at all.  That actually happened.  Three guesses who "Pilot A" was.   :lol

I see you are having a difficult time coming up with a response based on logic rather than "feelings"...so let me give you another chance:

Flying at 12K in a 110G.  See a enemy Niki flying co-alt heading towards me.  He's flying about 30 degrees angle off to my flight path.  He's not altering his course and I judge he's going to cross my path in front of me and then go high or turn into me to engage.  

As he continues towards me I can tell he's not AFK...he knows I'm there as he makes slight adjustments to his course.  I'm thinking "Wow...he's changing course but he's still going to pass right in front of me....what an idiot!"  

I hold down the trigger.  Scumbag that I am I wasn't using tracers at the time.  Just as he merges with my nose he banks towards me...and promptly loses a wing.  

Takes him a while to crash...he rides it down almost the entire way.  I can almost feel his anger.  It makes me smile.   :D

I see a wonderful PM from the honorable pilot calling me a cheap shot artist.  He further goes on to state that it would have been a "fair fight" if I hadn't fired....he seems to think stall fighting in a Niki at 12K against a 110G is "fair"...but I digress. 

Yada yada yada.

Blah blah blah.

*yawn*  

I reply that I'd been HOed at more than a few times that night...I'd reconsider my ways in the future, etc...

I could have tried to discuss the situation further....but heck...why bother debating a point with someone so far removed from the realities of MA combat?  

What use is it to attempt to rationally explain that HE was the one who made the error.  All I did was point out his error by blowing his pretty orange N1K2 from the sky.  

Why point out that there were other "red guys" inbound, I likely would have been mobbed before I finished him.  After all...actually WINNING the engagement and landing the kill isn't important....its "the fight" that's the thing, eh?

Muppets.  What can you do?

So you're not even being subtle about your butthurt now are you?   :rofl
      -AoM-

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #128 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:11 PM »
So you're not even being subtle about your butthurt now are you?   :rofl
It's clear your distain for each other is producing unproductive conversation. Why don't you both go to your respective corners, put your purses down and enjoy the dog-gone game.

Play like you wish, and let the other guy do the same. Fulcrum is trolling (sorry bro), and the AOM is taking the bait. This constant "mine is bigger" thing is getting old.  Give it a rest...

People HO, get use to it and make them pay... 

Next....
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: November 03, 2014, 10:22:15 PM »

Play like you wish, and let the other guy do the same. Fulcrum is trolling (sorry bro), and the AOM is taking the bait. This constant "mine is bigger" thing is getting old.  Give it a rest...

But my purse is made of stylish faux leather!!!  :D

No need to be sorry, man.  That's exactly what I was doing with the last post....even if I did so purposefully to illustrate the points of my argument.  My bad...I shouldn't have given into the temptation.

I don't expect to sway him or anyone else who holds these beliefs to my side.  I just can't help but poke holes in poor logic.  Occupational hazard...

FYI - I agree completely and support the idea of playing as one wishes.  Sadly, that isn't a shared belief.
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #130 on: November 03, 2014, 10:23:19 PM »
yeah.  OK.

The people who think whining about HO's is poor sportsmanship and lame gameplay have just as valid an opinion. Consider that such whining is not good for the game. For example the OP made a rear quarter shot and was accused of HOing. Do you see where this can be a problem for new player retention?

Dueling is fun. We have an arena for it. It's not the MA.

I don't advocate HO shots, I advocate every player taking the shot they want to take regardless of the target's opinion.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2014, 01:23:06 AM »
Of course there is.

Example: 190A-5 vs Spit 8/9/16. Flown correctly, the 190 cannot maneuver to get behind the 3/9 line of the Spit. Since the Spit also retains the edge in maneuverability and airspeed, the only shots the 190 will have are intersecting front-quarter shots. I'll demonstrate this to you 1v1 in the DA if you'd like - I promise the only shots solutions you'd be presented with (if you managed to get them) are front-quarter. It's purely a matter of physics.

I'd like to see a film of this....
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2014, 01:27:50 AM »
For me, less face shooting = more fun.  Tens of thousands of fun fights never happened because they ended on the merge.  If I merge with a player that could have went for the shot but didn't, I smile.  If they are guns blazing, I sigh.

HO all you want, everyone does in some situation.  Losing a good fight with no HOs is more fun for me than winning one where I face shot the guy.
Best answer to the HO question.....rest of the thread is garbage and people who are getting too big for their britches.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline xPoisonx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2014, 01:31:53 AM »

That's pretty ironic considering your behavior in the MA.

All those lovely pms   :aok
you have a ego the size of Texas.
Quote from: hitech
Texas is big, but not THAT big.

HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2014, 07:01:29 AM »
Less filling/tastes great/pro-life/pro-choice.