Author Topic: Ethics of HO Shooting.....  (Read 14326 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Ethics of HO Shooting.....
« Reply #240 on: November 08, 2014, 09:12:03 AM »
Hoing Me Hoing You
(sung to the tune of 'Knowing Me Knowing You by ABBA)

No more carefree laughter
200 ever after
Flying through a skilless arena, tears in my eyes
Here is where the story ends, this is goodbye
Hoing me, hoing you (ah-haa)
Hoing me, Hoing you (ah-haa)
You took yourself a faceshot and flew right through
(You flew right through, you flew right through
My face shot off, my sortie through)
Breaking up is never easy, I said and now I'm dead
(Plane broken and now I'm dead
And now I'm dead, shot in the head)
Hoing me hoing you
It's the best we could do

Mem'ries (mem'ries), good days (good days), bad days (bad days)
They'll be (they'll be), with me (with me) always (always)
In this old familiar arena would play
Now there's only lameness on 200 we say
Its the best that we could do
You went and took a faceshot and flew right through
(You flew right through, you flew right through
My face shot off, my sortie through)
Breaking up is never easy, I said and now I'm dead
(Plane broken and now I'm dead
And now I'm dead, shot in the head)
Hoing me hoing you
It's the best we could do

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #241 on: November 08, 2014, 10:28:36 AM »
This is not entirely true. Flying to not be killed is also considered ACM.

"Flying to not be killed" is a phrase coined by certain members of the AH community to assign negative social and ethical connotations to a pilot who minimizes risks while maximizing offensive opportunities through the application of all aspects of ACM (i.e.the pilot is a "coward" who is afraid to "die" in a "game"). Like the concept of HOing it is meant to shame those pilots using accepted air combat principles to stop doing so and to adopt the fighting style enjoyed by certain members of the AH community (i.e. turnfighting).
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 10:30:36 AM by Zerstorer »
The Once and Former Fulcrum

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #242 on: November 08, 2014, 10:42:45 AM »
"Flying to not be killed" is a phrase coined by certain members of the AH community to assign negative social and ethical connotations to a pilot who minimizes risks while maximizing offensive opportunities through the application of all aspects of ACM (i.e.the pilot is a "coward" who is afraid to "die" in a "game"). Like the concept of HOing it is meant to shame those pilots using accepted air combat principles to stop doing so and to adopt the fighting style enjoyed by certain members of the AH community (i.e. turnfighting).

Because a game with rampant timidity and constant face shooting would be frickin sweet bro.   :aok

Are you playing lots of BoS since that community encourages HO'ing and isn't plagued by lots of mean ol' bullies like there are here?

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #243 on: November 08, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
For Pete's sake ChangeUp quit trying to take me on a date..I told you I don't swing that way.

Man if golf and beer is a date, you're cheap!!
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline BiPoLaR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #244 on: November 08, 2014, 12:03:53 PM »
Hoing, bomb and bailing = Ultimate troll.
Makes me want to come back just to constantly do these things.
The whines fuel my desire.
R.I.P. T.E.Moore (Dad) 9-9-45 - 7-16-10.
R.I.P. Wes Poss  (Best Friend) 11-14-75 - 5-2-14

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #245 on: November 08, 2014, 12:45:27 PM »

Arlo is the one on the right (the most-stylish one).

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #246 on: November 08, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »
Because a game with rampant timidity and constant face shooting would be frickin sweet bro.   :aok

Are you playing lots of BoS since that community encourages HO'ing and isn't plagued by lots of mean ol' bullies like there are here?

:lol

You guys make me laugh.

I am playing lots of CLOD and BoS because I like the games. The communities there do not advocate HOing...they simply dont care if you do so. That in your eyes equates to it being no fun...no issue at all with that...I can understand you not wanting to stretch yourself after playing for so long with your deflector shields up...must be scary for you! :rofl

It is kinda nice not having to hear the usual whines and excuses tho'.  :aok

In my experience, nothing is ever what it seems to be, but everything is exactly what it is.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #247 on: November 08, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
:lol

You guys make me laugh.

I am playing lots of CLOD and BoS because I like the games. The communities there do not advocate HOing...they simply dont care if you do so. That in your eyes equates to it being no fun...no issue at all with that...I can understand you not wanting to stretch yourself after playing for so long with your deflector shields up...must be scary for you! :rofl

It is kinda nice not having to hear the usual whines and excuses tho'.  :aok

So you like to play these games in part because nobody whines to you about anything, but in your signature here you expound on the goodness that is a PM whine?  lol

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #248 on: November 08, 2014, 01:25:30 PM »
Personally I think HOin can be boiled down to two simple schools of thought, are you after a kill, or a fight?

Kills, HO away! its easy and if your aim/timing is good you will get plenty of kills.

Fights, work yourself into a position where the enemy plane can do nothing but die while never having a shot at you, that's a fight.

The vocal minority here on the boards seem to favor fights and so continue to try and show the way. After all the game is more fun when people fight right?

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #249 on: November 08, 2014, 01:38:49 PM »
The vocal minority here on the boards seem to favor fights and so continue to try and show the way. After all the game is more fun when people fight right?

No.  The game is most enjoyable when we strictly adhere to 70 years of military training materials.  This allows us to use real world tactics against our sworn foes.  Well, except stuff like cutting the engine off in the middle of a fight.  It's totally cool to treat this like a game with things like that. 
      -AoM-

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #250 on: November 08, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »
I had a long write up about a situation last night in the DA that would be perfect for this debate but it would fall on deaf hypocritical ears so I'm just going to leave this thread.

SMH Fulcrum used to be on the other side of fence when he was in AoM :rofl :rofl :rofl like a sports team boat jumper.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2014, 01:51:02 PM »
No.  The game is most enjoyable when we strictly adhere to 70 years of military training materials.  This allows us to use real world tactics against our sworn foes.  Well, except stuff like cutting the engine off in the middle of a fight.  It's totally cool to treat this like a game with things like that. 
Now that's funny :aok
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #252 on: November 08, 2014, 01:58:54 PM »

Lmao
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #253 on: November 08, 2014, 03:19:47 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Arlo is the one on the right (the most-stylish one).

Whew.  ;)

Offline Zerstorer

• Silver Member
« Reply #254 on: November 08, 2014, 03:22:29 PM »
I had a long write up about a situation last night in the DA that would be perfect for this debate but it would fall on deaf hypocritical ears so I'm just going to leave this thread.

SMH Fulcrum used to be on the other side of fence when he was in AoM :rofl :rofl :rofl like a sports team boat jumper.

Actually I wasnt. Its one of the reasons I left.

Please do tell. Im very interested in your response.